Spyder Garage

Question Restart SE after stalling in reverse?

What's the procedure to get a stalled 1330 SE machine into neutral? (or start it in reverse)
    Had an issue today and dubbed around for 5 minutes before finding something that worked.
    (Engine just stalled seconds after shifting it into reverse. ~ Only time I've ever experienced this.)

By the time I got the problem resolved, I had no idea of what it was that worked.

No matter what I tried, the R would not disappear from the gauges. (Parking brake worked, key on/off etc.)
    Eventually I somehow got the machine to start in reverse, but I don't know what I did.
    (Immediately after starting I watched the R change to N without my intervention.)
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

did stepping on the brake peddle not let you start it?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Most likely. You put your foot on the brake. That's a requirement if the spyder is shut off while in gear.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Stepping on the brake had absolutely no effect the first time.
    That was the first thing I tried right after it stalled in R. From that point on, I tried just about everything I could think if.
    Even tapping, and holding the eco button etc.

When it did start, I definitely saw the R at first. And I did have my foot on the brake.
    But since I had tried that initially with no success: I assumed I must have stumbled upon a procedure that worked.
    After the brake didn't work, I went on to try all sorts of other things including setting parking brake on/off.
    I turned the ignition off and removed key. ~ Maybe after doing that the ECU reset and allowed me to start it with brake?

I suppose the ECU could have "been in a weird state" immediately after stalling? (And the key switch reset things?)
    Almost embarrassing I might add. Of all places I was in the DMV parking lot immediately after renewing my license.
    (Yep, the gal who had just taken my renewal photo and processed the license was watching me "struggle" through the window.)

For a few moments, I really thought I was stranded there. Made me second guess my choice of a SE vs. a SM.

FWIW: This really is a fantastic piece of machinery. ~ And the "fun factor" definitely lives up to my expectations.
    Last edited by TRLBLZR1; 06-08-2017 at 12:14 AM.
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT RE-STARTING

This has happened to me also ..... people have said it CAN'T - not go into neutral ..... I have a 14 RT that the dealer didn't properly set-up the battery before I bought it & it has given me problems from day one..... I think if your battery isn't at least 90% it doesn't have the power to do the automatic switch to NEUTRAL ...... that's why I always shift to neutral before I shut it off ................ jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This has happened to me also ..... people have said it CAN'T - not go into neutral ..... I have a 14 RT that the dealer didn't properly set-up the battery before I bought it & it has given me problems from day one..... I think if your battery isn't at least 90% it doesn't have the power to do the automatic switch to NEUTRAL ...... that's why I always shift to neutral before I shut it off ................ jmho ..... Mike
    Good to know. I always go into neutral as well.
    But my issue/engine stalling was the result of transmission kicking into reverse with foot on brake.
    (As soon as reverse engaged, machine stalled.)

~Bob
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Default Stalling

Quote Originally Posted by TRLBLZR1 View Post
    Good to know. I always go into neutral as well.
    But my issue/engine stalling was the result of transmission kicking into reverse with foot on brake.
    (As soon as reverse engaged, machine stalled.)

~Bob
    I had that issue as well, with foot on brake it would start in reverse. I took it in to the dealer and it did it to the mechanic as well. He did something in Buds to update the shifting and have had no problems since. I would suggest asking your service department about it.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Now I know why machine stalled....

Hand moving over from reverse button barely catches the kill switch. Did it again today.
    (Didn't have a problem restarting this time. Holding the brake worked while in R.)
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You use your right hand for engaging the reverse button?
    (I thought that's why we have left thumbs... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You use your right hand for engaging the reverse button?
    (I thought that's why we have left thumbs... )
    I use my right hand to hit the reverse button. but of course I have an old fashioned sm5. I've tried to engage reverse with my left hand digits while holding the clutch lever in and it didn't work out to well.

Spyder Garage

Your Spyder will start in any gear. Does not need to be in neutral. Just as your owners manual explains.
    Last edited by billybovine; 06-09-2017 at 07:49 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

My bike is a manual and it will only start in neutral foot on brake or not. So like Mike I always shift into neutral before shutting down.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

What's the procedure to get a stalled 1330 SE machine into neutral? (or start it in reverse)
    Had an issue today and dubbed around for 5 minutes before finding something that worked.
    (Engine just stalled seconds after shifting it into reverse. ~ Only time I've ever experienced this.)

By the time I got the problem resolved, I had no idea of what it was that worked.

No matter what I tried, the R would not disappear from the gauges. (Parking brake worked, key on/off etc.)
    Eventually I somehow got the machine to start in reverse, but I don't know what I did.
    (Immediately after starting I watched the R change to N without my intervention.)
    Based on your description. I will make a guess that you accidently flipped the engine stop switch. That does happen. Once you flipped it back to the run position and put your foot on the brake. It started.

Edit I se by your other post that is what happened.

Your Spyder will will start in any gear. That is stated clearly in your owners manual. If it needs to be started while in any gear but neutral. BRP has programmed an extra step for safety requiring you to have your foot on the brake. After your Spyder starts and reaches a minimum rpm (depending on the engine). It will automatically shift into neutral on it's own. If for some reason it can't auto shift the transmission. The engine will still have been started and running.
    Last edited by billybovine; 06-09-2017 at 07:52 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    I use my right hand to hit the reverse button. but of course I have an old fashioned sm5. I've tried to engage reverse with my left hand digits while holding the clutch lever in and it didn't work out to well.
    The OP has an "ESSIE"...

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    My bike is a manual and it will only start in neutral foot on brake or not. So like Mike I always shift into neutral before shutting down.
    Pull the clutch lever, it will start!
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    Not on an SE lol....
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

The OP has an "ESSIE"...
    What the heck is that lol?
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Based on your description. I will make a guess that you accidently flipped the engine stop switch. That does happen. Once you flipped it back to the run position and put your foot on the brake. It started.

Edit I se by your other post that is what happened.

Your Spyder will will start in any gear. That is stated clearly in your owners manual. If it needs to be started while in any gear but neutral. BRP has programmed an extra step for safety requiring you to have your foot on the brake. After your Spyder starts and reaches a minimum rpm (depending on the engine). It will automatically shift into neutral on it's own. If for some reason it can't auto shift the transmission. The engine will still have been started and running.

Yep, entirely possible. Was thinking the same thing. And maybe when I hit the run switch I "reversed the procedure" the first time. Clicked it on and off, not realizing that was the cause of stalling. Just know this is going to to be an ongoing issue. Will have to work on one-hand reverse procedure.

Heading out for a quick "Spyder-Spin" before the rain hits.
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What the heck is that lol?
    An SE transmission... as opposed to an "ESSEM"...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    So before I replied I wanted to wait till I tried it again. Mine will only start in neutral doesn't matter if i pull the clutch, step on the brake or do a dance it won't start unless in neutral.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    So before I replied I wanted to wait till I tried it again. Mine will only start in neutral doesn't matter if i pull the clutch, step on the brake or do a dance it won't start unless in neutral.
    Sounds to me that the switch at the clutch handle/ master cylinder needs to fixed.
    Last edited by billybovine; 06-12-2017 at 10:12 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

An SE transmission... as opposed to an "ESSEM"...
    Missed that one lol..... 🏁
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁