Spyder Garage

Question What photo sharing service do you use?

Have been using photobucket for 15+years,

Have had paid, then switched back to the free service, but lately it has been slow or not even able to load new photos in my libraries.

What service do you use, free or pay. might be worth it to pay I am thinking if it has more features than just storage space.

What do you like or dislike with what you are using?

Need to research for new photo sharing.

Just learned and added this Today 7/7/17 (below)

Someone here said that when they clicked on one of my photos that their browser froze up from ads from photobucket. I apologized that I was not aware, and then investigated and Yesterday Photobucket changed there policies for free accounts. The only way I can use them for third party hosting (meaning this website), UnlessI subscribe for $39.99 a month or $399.99 a year They are nuts I could get ad free for $5.99 but would not be able to post photos here except for unless they are just thumbnail size. And you would get bombarded with ads........so sad. Will try to find another this weekend
    Last edited by TicketBait; 07-07-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: new terrible info

Spyder Garage

i post most of my pictures on facebook, then i just copy them from there and paste them in a post in here
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I too have used Photobucket for quite some time. The free service has deteriorated some lately. But it still works well enough for me. I've not tried the paid service. I used to use my Cox Cable free storage. But one day they just deleted all the storage accounts without saying anything. Poof! It was all gone. I guess it worked for them.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Photobucker free service for years.
    normal my pictures are on my devices and I manipulate and post directly.
    i only use the bucket when a URL is required

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The ones that I can post: end up here!
    The ones that don't belong in here: I email to my friends!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use Amazon Prime Photo.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Flickr
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

As a tag along question to " WHAT PHOTO SHARING SERVICE DO YOU USE"

i would like to ask "WHY DO YOU YOU USE A PHOTO SHARING SERVICE "

committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been using Google Photos for a while now, they say back up unlimited photos and videos for free but there must be a limit. I have a little over 3500 photos that's been uploaded, can't really say if its good or not as I put photos to free up space on my smart devices and really not logging in and out too often just when I need to add more photos.

Spyder Garage

iCloud

Spyder Garage

We use Google Photos.

It kind of ties in with other services we use from Google as they also provide the server for our web site and email server.

One nice thing about Google photos is it sends every photo I take to the cloud. Not long after I take it. Make sharing with friends on Facebook or here on Spyderlovers or elsewhere very easy. I also do not have to worry about backing up my phone regularly as its automatic.

With our Google Apps for business account, the storage really is unlimited. For us, the photos use a small fraction of our cloud storage.

It also plays very well in the Android infrastructure across multiple devices.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

One Drive....and thumb drives....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I do not trust any "free" service nor anything provided as part of a package by an ISP. Photos are especially valuable as they cannot be reproduced should the original be deleted. So.....

I have a library on my PC where the primary copy of every photo is kept, and indexed. I have an external hard drive where I back up those photos and it is kept offline when not in actual use. I have found this method has the following advantages:

1. The online storage (cloud if you will) does not need my personal information and therefore cannot sell it to all manner of companies trying to sell me unwanted stuff.
    2. I control who has access to my photos without the need for additional security.
    3. I can trot out any copies I wish to send directly from my primary or external hard drive - no need to interface with yet another vendor.
    4. The one-time cost of the external hard drive was about $50 for 500GB of storage - more than I will ever use.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    I guess that this very same question has been rattling around in my head also.
    I'm currently ignorant about this sort of process: why is it needed?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I guess that this very same question has been rattling around in my head also.
    I'm currently ignorant about this sort of process: why is it needed?
    My gf uses iCloud so that she can store and share photos with family of our vacations, especially with family on the other side of the world. It's only shared with those that can get into your iCloud. My Mac is separate from iCloud in that someone on my cloud can't get into my computer. I shouldn't use the word can't b/c anything is possible.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that I kind of do the same thing: only with emails that have chosen photos attached to them.
    But I have to assume that a photo sharing tool simplifies the process...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I guess that I kind of do the same thing: only with emails that have chosen photos attached to them.
    But I have to assume that a photo sharing tool simplifies the process...
    E-mails are limited to MB's sent. My iCloud is 50GB's. I guess to each his own. I find it easier b/c I don't sift thru the photos thinking I may be sending the best, and most interesting, and the person receiving may not think so. So, we let them all go.

If someone reads this, and is an expert on iCloud, I have a question. Is there some way to keep photos on iCloud without being on your Mac? I've googled this, and this seems to be a complaint about tying up space on your computer.

Bob,

One more thing with iCloud, the pictures can be labeled with dates, names ,and places, and can be further called out with a vacation name, etc.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-08-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    As a tag along question to " WHAT PHOTO SHARING SERVICE DO YOU USE"

so I can post photos on any of the car/spyder /maltese forums that I visit, If I copy an image from my library or from an email and then transfer/drag to this forum and click paste, it does not post/show. Hence I use photobucket. Is there another way I don't know about as to posting from just clicking on a photo that is not copyright protected?

Was looking to start a new service that I can do a better job managing the library. Mine is cluttered and disorganized.

For sending an email or posting on Facebook it is not necessary to use photobucket. I have approx 25-35K photos on various hard drives dvd's and in the cloud, just looked on my iPhone I have 13,600 photos & videos taking up 28GB of space. On photobucket I have approx 2k photos that I have categorized into different albums to locate easier.

Spyder Garage

Pbase.com & photo.net
    Last edited by Cavman; 06-11-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

This just my very humble opinion,
    being an old non trusting type, I prefer to be in charge of all my stuff.
    i'm sure google, flicker, microsoft, photobucket and all the other FREE services
    are great, but let's remember, NOTHING IS FREE.

rant over.

committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Default Photo sharing site

I use Photobucket, iCloud, Dropbox (I pay for 1TB) Google drive. My favorite is a paid site called Zenfolio, I can upload and share files easily, and control who gets the link, and can password protect galleries. I can also have them set so they are not searchable and only visible to those I share the link with. I am a pro photographer, and the cost is well worth it to me, since it also has the option of selling prints and files, and payment is made through he site. For the casual user, it is likely too pricey. I also have files backed up on drives and the cloud.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I too have used Photobucket for quite some time. The free service has deteriorated some lately. But it still works well enough for me. I've not tried the paid service. I used to use my Cox Cable free storage. But one day they just deleted all the storage accounts without saying anything. Poof! It was all gone. I guess it worked for them.
    Someone here said that when they clicked on one of my photos that their browser froze up from ads from photobucket. I apologized that I was not aware, and then investigated and Yesterday Photobucket changed there policies for free accounts. The only way I can use them for third party hosting (meaning this website), UnlessI subscribe for $39.99 a month or $399.99 a year They are nuts I could get ad free for $5.99 but would not be able to post photos here except for unless they are just thumbnail size. And you would get bombarded with ads........so sad. Will try to find another this weekend

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default A caveat

Never upload to a photo sharing site without also keeping the original offline at home (on a drive, memory stick, CD or some kind of storage). Any online service, even iCloud or Google, has a risk of losing your data.

That being said, I use the photo site so that I can hotlink the pic on various forums that I participate, and share images outside of Facebook with ones who don't use social media.
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Never upload to a photo sharing site without also keeping the original offline at home (on a drive, memory stick, CD or some kind of storage). Any online service, even iCloud or Google, has a risk of losing your data.

That being said, I use the photo site so that I can hotlink the pic on various forums that I participate, and share images outside of Facebook with ones who don't use social media.
    So what photo site do you use? I have been trying all day to drop a photo in a thread I create without using i.e.: photosucket with no such luck.

All my photos for the most part are in my iPhoto library and the iCloud,
    but for the last ten years, all my photos have now been converted to this,

Why couldn't they just say from this day forward pay $40 a month, hope they get hit with a lawsuit that gets them to revert back

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    So what photo site do you use? I have been trying all day to drop a photo in a thread I create without using i.e.: photosucket with no such luck....

I use Flickr
    JLohPhotos