Spyder Garage

Default Decryption help?

I'm just going to throw this out there. We have a mega Geocaching event here in Georgia called Going Caching 2017. This year's theme is Spy Games. October 5-8, 2017 in Rome, GA.

There is a pre-event shirt that I have gotten that has a number code in it. I need to decrypt what it says? There are 38 lines of these numbers all together. 37 of the lines have 82 numbers across. The last line only has 58 numbers. So that's 3092 numbers in a line.
    It is interesting to note there are ten numbers then 32, ten more numbers then 32....
    Part of the first line of numbers:
    826984828032697987687432677167887332867173788432.. ....
    The last line of numbers does not end with 32.

Anyone have a clue as to where I might find a way to decrypt this message? Something on the internet? Is there any spooks out there that can help?

I'm hoping the Going Caching Crew will drops some hints at some point to help solve the code?

Thanks for any help!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you figure out what the missing 24 digits are?
    That might be worth a look.
    Good luck, and let us know what you win
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well according to the Army I am a cryptographer. But been along time.

My guess it is a simple substation cipher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitution_cipher

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm wondering if it might be Playfair, but with numbers instead of letters. Note that there are no repeated digits in each pair.
    Last edited by Questions; 06-08-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It might also be worth noting that ASCII character number 32 means "space" and the other number pairs fall into the range used for capital letters. It is common for all the words in a coded message to be run together and then divided into uniform blocks so having spaces after every 5 letters makes sense. Unfortunately the message I get this way starts off "RETRP EOWDJ CGCXI VGINT..." which is not very helpful.

I am sure I saw this same puzzle in its entirety on the web recently, but cannot pull it up with Google.
    Last edited by Questions; 06-09-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Not being a computer person, that's good help JoAnn! Didn't know about the 32 being a space.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know. ..!!

But on the basis of 26 letters in the alphabet plus 6 symbols or combo of numbers it could work out to be a subsitution cypher... work on the simple two and three letter word most often used like ..The..and..to..of etc and see how many of those number combinations there are...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I'm just going to throw this out there. We have a mega Geocaching event here in Georgia called Going Caching 2017. This year's theme is Spy Games. October 5-8, 2017 in Rome, GA.

There is a pre-event shirt that I have gotten that has a number code in it. I need to decrypt what it says? There are 38 lines of these numbers all together. 37 of the lines have 82 numbers across. The last line only has 58 numbers. So that's 3092 numbers in a line.
    It is interesting to note there are ten numbers then 32, ten more numbers then 32....
    Part of the first line of numbers:
    826984828032697987687432677167887332867173788432.. ....
    The last line of numbers does not end with 32.

Anyone have a clue as to where I might find a way to decrypt this message? Something on the internet? Is there any spooks out there that can help?

I'm hoping the Going Caching Crew will drops some hints at some point to help solve the code?

Thanks for any help!
    So have they dropped any hints yet?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    But on the basis of 26 letters in the alphabet plus 6 symbols or combo of numbers it could work out to be a subsitution cypher... work on the simple two and three letter word most often used like ..The..and..to..of etc and see how many of those number combinations there are...
    The division into uniform blocks prevents that, if I understand correctly what you're saying. I don't see what 32 could be BUT a spacer between 10- digit blocks. But, to see if it's a substitution cipher, he could. count occurrences of each digit, or pair of digits, and compare it to the English language frequency list, which starts out etaoinshrdlu, I think (you don't usually need the entire list to get a good start). You do need a fairly long message to do this, which the OP has but we don't.
    Last edited by Questions; 06-09-2017 at 12:48 PM.