Spyder Garage

Default where to use tie downs on an RT when trailering

Hello Forum!

Any to do's or not to do's when tying down an RT on a hauling trailer?
    Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There are multiple threads on towing techniques that are available through searching. Some strap down over the front tires, some through the wheels with padding. Only consensus (I think) is not to strap to any parts of the Spyder body which isn't designed for it.

Spyder Garage

Most years or maybe all of the RT owners manuals have a section on how to tie down your Spyder to a trailer. Since I do not know the year of your RT. I cannot direct you to the page. If you use their method. Please use towels or something similar to protect the finish on your wheels. There are lots of other methods that will work well. I am sure other will post them.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Through the rear wheel: be careful not to get yourself caught up in the "brake-bits" on the right-hand side, or the drivebelt and pulley on the left.
    Up front:
    This is where I differ with the factory recommendation of putting the strap through the wheels.
    I put my strap around the lower A-arm just inboard of the lower shock mount.
    I've never had a problem...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER TIE DOWNS

The people who own show cars worth in the $ 100,000 plus category ... DO NOT USE THE FRAMES OR SUSPENSIONS for securing their vehicles to any trailers ...... They put the ratchet straps over the tires ( in-line with the tire ) ....this provides both a firm hold on the vehicle and prevents ANY DAMAGE. .... But I'm sure Bob is going to post immed. after me stating that micro-fiber towels will prevent scratches. I'll bet anyone, any amount of money this is false ....Why ?? .... because just washing your vehicle cause scratches in the paint !!!!!! ................. Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Geez

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The people who own show cars worth in the $ 100,000 plus category ... DO NOT USE THE FRAMES OR SUSPENSIONS for securing their vehicles to any trailers ...... They put the ratchet straps over the tires ( in-line with the tire ) ....this provides both a firm hold on the vehicle and prevents ANY DAMAGE. .... But I'm sure Bob is going to post immed. after me stating that micro-fiber towels will prevent scratches. I'll bet anyone, any amount of money this is false ....Why ?? .... because just washing your vehicle cause scratches in the paint !!!!!! ................. Mike
    I think somebody ratcheted up Mike's panties a little too tight. No need for the big fonts, caps, and multiple exclamation points.

Spyder Garage

When using tie down straps through the wheels be mindful of sharp edges on the wheels. Nylon straps and sharp edges do not mix well. Use rags for padding where necessary. It is amazing how much movement a trailered vehicle has. Remember, it is on a platform (trailer) with suspension in addition to having it's own suspension. Even a moderately sharp edge can have devastating effects after things get bouncing along down the road.....

Spyder Garage

Default Tie down a spyder

Run a strap over the center of the rear tire, underneath the spyder, ( so it wont scratch the tupperware) and secure it at the front of your trailer.

Mike( Blueknight911) used this method to tie down my first spyder, and it did not move. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER TIE DOWNS

[QUOTE=KHC;1265851]I think somebody ratcheted up Mike's panties a little too tight. No need for the big fonts, caps, and multiple exclamation points.[/QUOTE} Dear: KHC..... I think you replied on the wrong thread ...... you need to put your comment on the " mean, nasty, stupid, not relevant to the subject thread " ........ your very welcome for my assistance................. I try to help people here - what is your purpose ????? ....... Mike ......PS , please put me on your ignore list - because you are now on mine

Spyder Garage

Can't we just all get along? I mean, really, why get into a pissing match? It serves no purpose.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Well,

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1265867]
    Quote Originally Posted by KHC View Post
    I think somebody ratcheted up Mike's panties a little too tight. No need for the big fonts, caps, and multiple exclamation points.[/QUOTE} Dear: KHC..... I think you replied on the wrong thread ...... you need to put your comment on the " mean, nasty, stupid, not relevant to the subject thread " ........ your very welcome for my assistance................. I try to help people here - what is your purpose ????? ....... Mike ......PS , please put me on your ignore list - because you are now on mine
    Can't put you on my ignore list, because to do so I'd have to recognize you, and one can't be recognized and ignored simultaneously.
    However, I do have a list that you may go on, and I'm penciling your name in now. Right at the top. Thank you.
    Ignorantia sit beatitudo

Spyder Garage

2015 and where do I find straps that go over tires and how do I handle fenders?
    Thanks
    GL1

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Most years or maybe all of the RT owners manuals have a section on how to tie down your Spyder to a trailer. Since I do not know the year of your RT. I cannot direct you to the page. If you use their method. Please use towels or something similar to protect the finish on your wheels. There are lots of other methods that will work well. I am sure other will post them.

Spyder Garage

There's not enough clearance to use a traditional tire tie down. My best advice is to use straps going through the wheels with pads and lock the wheels to the trailer. Let the Spyder bounce along on it's own suspension. Just get all three wheels locked down good.

Spyder Garage

Default STRAPS OVER THE TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by garyleblanc1 View Post
    2015 and where do I find straps that go over tires and how do I handle fenders?
    Thanks
    GL1
    A company " Discount Ramps " sells their products on E-bay at discounted ( from normal ) prices... they have a very large assortment of high quality , heavy duty ratchet straps ( 3000 lb plus rating ) at very reasonable prices. I only use one on my RT's rear wheel with home made wood chocks for the front wheels ..... " EMAZO2 " has posted pics of his set-up........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Straps over tires

One way to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    Are you done peeing in the pool yet?
    BRP has their own recommended method: some folks use it, and some folks don't.
    If you want to put the strap over your tires: that's fantastic!
    But it sure doesn't mean that the rest of us are part of the ignorant, unwashed masses...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Through the rear wheel: be careful not to get yourself caught up in the "brake-bits" on the right-hand side, or the drivebelt and pulley on the left.
    Up front:
    This is where I differ with the factory recommendation of putting the strap through the wheels.
    I put my strap around the lower A-arm just inboard of the lower shock mount.
    I've never had a problem...
    That's how I do it.

The front tires are against rubber chocks mounted to trailed floor. i put the straps through the frame inside shock mount and pull up tight against chocks. I have a third chock that I place behind the rear wheel, Then a strap through rear wheel and secure that. now I apply the parking brake.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps an explanation behind my logic of not putting straps through the front wheels will help...
    I'm no engineer: I can't begin to quantify the stresses place on the rim, when you use it as a tie-down point.
    But I figure that if you're that far out beyond the pivot points for that front wheel hub: it's probably better to just find a solid place inboard of them...
    That's my theory, and I'll stick to it!
    (Until I bend an A-arm... )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Perhaps an explanation behind my logic of not putting straps through the front wheels will help...
    I'm no engineer: I can't begin to quantify the stresses place on the rim, when you use it as a tie-down point.
    But I figure that if you're that far out beyond the pivot points for that front wheel hub: it's probably better to just find a solid place inboard of them...
    That's my theory, and I'll stick to it!
    (Until I bend an A-arm... )
    Front wheels pivot, if you are straps at angles the tension you are exerting is putting undue stress on the pivot points, Not even thinking of all the extra stress caused by the motion of the trailer.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We must have gone to different High Schools together...

I'd say that you read my mind: but that's only about like reading a comic book!

Spyder Garage

Rachet straps through all three wheels at the lower part of the rear wheel and STRAIT forward on the front tires. Do not cross tie the front tires. This works well for me unless I use the trailer with the Super Clamps. Only two short straps to keep from bouncing.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick