Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Kenda Tire: Important Recall Information

I received this information and thought I'd pass it along. Please take a look at your tires and forward to other riders. Cindy

Subject: Important Recall Info That MAY Affect Your Tires

You received this email because you have requested to be notified by NHTSA if there is a safety recall regarding Tires.
    Please click on the following NHTSA Recall ID links to view the recall information.
    NHTSA Recall ID Number : 17T010
    Synopsis : American Kenda Rubber Industrial (Kenda) is recalling certain Kenda Kenetica tires, size P235/75R15 105S KR17. The tires may have a void between the top steel belt and the tire undertread located at the overlapped steel belt splice. The void can grow under normal use, possibly resulting in a tread separation or a sudden loss of air in the tire, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash. Kenda will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the affected tires with tires that do not contain a void, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during June 2017. Owners may contact Kenda customer service at 1-866-536-3287. Kenda's number for this recall is K3D5ANA5116-5216.
    NHTSA Recall ID Number : 17T011
    Synopsis : Sumitomo Rubber USA, LLC (Sumitomo) is recalling certain models of Dunlop Sportmax Q3+ motorcycle tires, size 120/70ZR17 58W. The affected tires may have porosity (air pockets) in the shoulder region of the tire. As such, these tires fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 119, "New Pneumatic Tires-Other Than Passenger Cars." The tire defect may affect the handling and/or steering characteristics of the motorcycle. Continued use can result in tread chunking. These conditions may increase the risk of a crash. Dunlop will notify the retailers and customers and will offer replacement tires, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during June 2017. Owners may contact Dunlop Motorcycle Tires at 1-800-845-8378.
    Thank you,
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    United States Department of Transportation

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL, IT HAS BEEN AUTO-GENERATED.
    Please follow one of these links to update your profile or unsubscribe.
    To file a tire safety-related complaint, please go online to our File a Complaint web page, or call us toll-free at 1-888-327-4236.
    To find out more about NHTSA, visit nhtsa.gov, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    If you have questions regarding these e-mails, please go to the NHTSA Contact web page.
    Review our Privacy Policy.

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information. Of course, I have already gotten rid of my crap OEM tire.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What Spyders run that size Kenda?????? Not an OEM tire size on my RT Ltd; but thanks for posting.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    What Spyders run that size Kenda?????? Not an OEM tire size on my RT Ltd; but thanks for posting.
    None; They're talking about car tires...
    We may not like them, but nobody has proved anything yet!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There are no Kenda Kenetica tires, size P235/75R15 used on Spyders so its not Spyder related recall.

I guess there are folks that would stoop low enough to actually buy Kenda tires out of choice.....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Does not apply....

Well it does not apply to the spyders as not the size used. But see that the name poping up can cause concern. Not faulting the company for one issue...I use Kendas and have no problems...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't have to stoop low to buy Kenda tires

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    There are no Kenda Kenetica tires, size P235/75R15 used on Spyders so its not Spyder related recall.

I guess there are folks that would stoop low enough to actually buy Kenda tires out of choice.....
    I'm one of them. I don't find myself having to stoop low in order to do so. What kind of a medical condition would cause that, do you think?

And, Can-Am must be full of stoop-shouldered people because they buy a lot of them.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm one of them. I don't find myself having to stoop low in order to do so. What kind of a medical condition would cause that, do you think?

And, Can-Am must be full of stoop-shouldered people because they buy a lot of them.
    I don't believe Can-Am ( BRP et al ) actually BUYS ( meaning pays for ) your Spyder tires ..... You the consumer does when you have to buy them from your Dealer ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP uses Kenda tires on the Spyders for the same reason that Polaris puts them on the SlongShots:
    They are the ONLY tire manufacturer that is supplying this type of tire to the motorcycle companies, and it is actually approved for use on motorcycles...

I didn't care for the tread-life that I got out of them; otherwise, I found nothing to complain about.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Well it does not apply to the spyders as not the size used. But see that the name poping up can cause concern. Not faulting the company for one issue...I use Kendas and have no problems...
    Me too Gene.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default BRP (et al) get tires without payment?

Since Trump was elected any darn thing is possible, like not paying for The Wall and so a deal involving the non payment for tires should be a piece of cake!
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 06-05-2017 at 10:54 AM.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Me too Gene.
    Does that mean there are 3 of us that haven't switched to car tires, and does that mean we are not part of the KOOL crowd?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Does that mean there are 3 of us that haven't switched to car tires, and does that mean we are not part of the KOOL crowd?
    Make it four and five (I have two 's).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't believe Can-Am ( BRP et al ) actually BUYS ( meaning pays for ) your Spyder tires ..... You the consumer does when you have to buy them from your Dealer ....... Mike
    I suppose that would mean that they have transferred the cost to the purchaser of the bike...
    Just as they have also transferred the cost of ALL of the components, and ALL of the labor to us...

Spyder Garage

Default KENDA AND BRP

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I suppose that would mean that they have transferred the cost to the purchaser of the bike...
    Just as they have also transferred the cost of ALL of the components, and ALL of the labor to us...
    Bob, the meaning of my post was ...... BRP doesn't BUY any Spyder tires !!! ..... Kenda gives them to BRP in exchange for being the SOLE supplier of all Spyder tires sold by DEALERS - - who are the only people who can get them , and sell them at OUTRAGEOUS prices ..... Even Kenda tire Distributors can't get Spyder tires ..... Ask " Spectacular Spyder " He is a Kenda Distributor and He can't get them - He has tried ....... and was told ONLY BRP DEALERS CAN GET THEM ...... " The truth will set you free " ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll bet you a nickel and a-half; that BRP is paying for those tires...

Spyder Garage

BRP ONLY buys them as they are locked into a long term contract. One they entered back when no one knew what a spyder was, they had little funds to set up a new tire contract and Kenda took the long term bait.

The Kenda tires are low quality cheap chinese tires I would not install on anything.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It doesn't really matter all that much: we are free to shop around, once the original "chicken-skins" are used-up!

Spyder Garage

Default FREE TO SHOP AROUND

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It doesn't really matter all that much: we are free to shop around, once the original "chicken-skins" are used-up!
    Not really ask AKSpyderman what His choices are ...... and He isn't the only one in this boat............... and neither you nor JC understood what either of my posts MEANT .............. But it doesn't really matter .......... The Spyder isn't going to be delivered with anything other than a Kenda .........EVER ....... ( unless Kenda goes out of business )........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post

Perhaps not, but we will not be hydroplaning, skidding and a lot safer on softer compound M/C tires.

Just a thought: If you have and accident with car tires will your insurance bulk because you did not have

the recommended M/C tires installed and skidded or hydroplaned into someone or off the road? I will

opt for safety over mileage any day. JMO

Jack

All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jack, The insurance adjusters barely care if the tires are even round...

Spyder Garage

The Spyder does not come from BRP with motorcycle tires installed. They are de-rated automotive profile tires with a side stamp 'For Motorcycle Use Only' There is a big difference.

If you believe buying replacement de-rated automotive tires keeps you safer...go ahead. I tend to disagree and want better tires on my bike with BETTER traction and hydroplane resistance than the Kenda. Not to mention better handling, vehicle control and stability.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Akspyderman checking in. My dealer (the only one left in AK), will only install factory Kenda's. I do not want non-BRP service personnel screwing up my back wheel, drive belt, alighment, etc. so I feel the work is best done by the actual dealer.

Fronts are a different situation--but since I get over 20K consistently, I am not going to change those from Kenda either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The Spyder does not come from BRP with motorcycle tires installed. They are de-rated automotive profile tires with a side stamp 'For Motorcycle Use Only' There is a big difference.
    I respectfully disagree: If the tire is marked as "For Motorcycle Use Only"; that makes it a motorcycle tire...
    But you're wasting time with an argument over semantics now...

Spyder Garage

I'm OK with the Kendas up front. I get some decent mileage. about 20K.
    The rear is an entirely different story. The Kenda on the rear gets about 8K. In my opinion, far too little for a touring machine.
    I haven't had any issues with the quality of the tires, just the mileage, which is an issue with design, not the build.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey