Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2016 F3T , 1 month old, and an oil leak

As the title says, I have had my 2016 F3T for 1 month, 4 day, and I already have an oil leak. The bike has about 2600 miles, so I am taking it in for it's first service, but to see oil running down the side of the engine case was frustrating. I checked the levels, and it seems fine, but it appears that the oil may have come out of the area where the dip stick is located. Almost as if it pucked it up through the filler tube. Going to call on Tuesday (dealers are closed here on Monday) and make an appointment. Still loving the bike, but it is bad when you go on a charity ride and a harley rider points out that your bike has an oil leak.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Hope nothing major. Maybe just too much and overflowed
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Default Two Harleys - one leaked tranny oil

4 Spyders, one 15 RT had a set screw case leak. two Hondas, no leaks. But to have a Harley rider point out your leak is helpful, but kinda the pot calling the kettle black haha.
    Hope its nothing major!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    Maybe just too much and overflowed
    that's what I'm thinking. Your's is not the first that I've heard of to have the exact issue. Just don't understand why/how the service techs can't get this right.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    As the title says, I have had my 2016 F3T for 1 month, 4 day, and I already have an oil leak. The bike has about 2600 miles, so I am taking it in for it's first service, but to see oil running down the side of the engine case was frustrating. I checked the levels, and it seems fine, but it appears that the oil may have come out of the area where the dip stick is located. Almost as if it pucked it up through the filler tube. Going to call on Tuesday (dealers are closed here on Monday) and make an appointment. Still loving the bike, but it is bad when you go on a charity ride and a harley rider points out that your bike has an oil leak.
    I had the same leak the oil is too full it will come out of the dipstick tube

Spyder Garage

Murphybrown mentioned similar in her blog on the way to Valcourt. She got it fixed quickly and indicated it was not major for her.

Hope your situation is similar.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i hope that the exact cause can be easily found...
    and fixed even easier!
    Please let us know what you learn about this: good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that Keith. Hopefully they will get it straightened out quickly and you will be back on the road, killin it.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My RT 2015 SE6 model had signs of oil over the right hand side engine casing
    I could not trace the leak and the dealer also checked it over with no sign of where the oil was leaking from
    We cleaned it off and did further test but no oil leaked out
    We believed it may have been overfilled and this caused the problem, This was in August last year and the problem has not returned
    I now have over 11,000 miles on it

Here are some pictures showing where the oil was

Not sure if this will help but thought it was worth posting to see if you had the same signs of where the oil was showing up
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

We went to do a test ride of a 2016 F3-T about a month ago at one of the DFW area Spyder dealers. It just so happened that the BRP truck was there for Spyder test rydes, along with some BRP folks. It turns out that the dealer had just put that Spyder that we were looking at into their test ryde fleet and it was used for the Spyder group test ryde event that day. After it got back from a group test ryde, there was some oil showing on the side of the engine case just below the dipstick. One of the BRP reps stated that there was a batch of O-rings that turned out to be slightly out of spec. He felt replacing the O-ring would take care of the problem. Wouldn't be surprised if the oil level wasn't also a factor...
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGTL View Post
    We went to do a test ride of a 2016 F3-T about a month ago at one of the DFW area Spyder dealers. It just so happened that the BRP truck was there for Spyder test rydes, along with some BRP folks. It turns out that the dealer had just put that Spyder that we were looking at into their test ryde fleet and it was used for the Spyder group test ryde event that day. After it got back from a group test ryde, there was some oil showing on the side of the engine case just below the dipstick. One of the BRP reps stated that there was a batch of O-rings that turned out to be slightly out of spec. He felt replacing the O-ring would take care of the problem. Wouldn't be surprised if the oil level wasn't also a factor...
    I just called in and got a service appointment for Thursday (I have 2,600 miles). From what I have been told, the O-ring sounds like the issue. Thing is, if it had been on my RT, with all the plastic covering the engine, I never would have known. I was first told about the O-ring by a friend with a 2014 RT. He had that issue.

Spyder Garage

Default Photo or description?

I just called in and got a service appointment for Thursday (I have 2,600 miles). From what I have been told, the O-ring sounds like the issue. Thing is, if it had been on my RT, with all the plastic covering the engine, I never would have known. I was first told about the O-ring by a friend with a 2014 RT. He had that issue.
    Keith,

As you know I bought the same model Spyder from the same source. Can you post a photo showing where the leak occurred, or describe the location in terms that will allow me to identify where the leak occurred?

Thanks,
    Wane

Spyder Garage

I had the exact same issue with my 2016 F3S. Oil level was a little high as well. A new dipstick case was installed (took about 30 minutes) and I have not had any problems since. The dealer spoke to BRP and they were familiar with a few cases like this it sounded like. Best of luck.

Spyder Garage

Well, just got the bike serviced, and he says that it appears that it was a little too full. The gasket at the top of the dipstick looked pretty good. He says that if it leaks again, he would just order a new tube and gasket, but he knows that it has the correct amount of oil now. I held it at 75-80 for the 30 mile ride home, and no oil yet. We will see what happens this weekend. BTW, this initial 3k mile service was around $265 for full oil change, and adjusting everything imaginable. A lot higher than I like to pay for an oil change, but much less than the $420 quoted to a friend of mine with a 2015 F3.

Spyder Garage

Well, just got the bike serviced, and he says that it appears that it was a little too full. The gasket at the top of the dipstick looked pretty good. He says that if it leaks again, he would just order a new tube and gasket, but he knows that it has the correct amount of oil now. I held it at 75-80 for the 30 mile ride home, and no oil yet. We will see what happens this weekend. BTW, this initial 3k mile service was around $265 for full oil change, and adjusting everything imaginable. A lot higher than I like to pay for an oil change, but much less than the $420 quoted to a friend of mine with a 2015 F3.
    You did good on the service price. I feel good at $300.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red