Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default Amazed at difference with a swaybar........

Just got home from a visit to Thornoli's in Houston, Texas. James Thorne is the man!!! He did a bit of maintenance on my 2014 RT LTD and also installed a cat delete and a Baja Ron swaybar. I really like both modifications and wish that I had done the swaybar a long time ago. HUGE difference in the steering input and tracking.

I highly recommend James' shop to anyone needing work done on their Spyder. Just look up Thornoli's and you can check out his website.

Bill

Spyder Garage

I agree!!!!

We had a BajaRon sway bar installed last Fall by Netzley Tire in NY. They did a great job and are good people.

What a difference! Both of us noticed a difference in the cornering stability immediately.

Best $$ we've spent so far!
    Nate and Lori

2021 Spyder RT Limited--Deep Marsala Red--Chrome Edition

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got to get up to Netzley's this Month for a rear tire.
    I might as well finally give in, and get the RonBar also!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why an after-market sway bar?

Can someone explain to me objectively the advantages / disadvantages of a stiffer sway bar? Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So when you bend the bike into a turn: it doesn't feel as if the handlebar ends are gonna scrape on the pavement...

It's exactly the same with cars!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So when you bend the bike into a turn: it doesn't feel as if the handlebar ends are gonna scrape on the pavement...

It's exactly the same with cars!
    Yeah, I get that, although I think for normal (i.e. non-aggressive) riding the OEM sway bars are adequate aren't they? Also, don't stiffer sway bars translate to a less compliant ride? I don't know - never done that mod on any of my cars much less the Spyder.

It just seems like a mod for the sake of a mod. Maybe I have too much faith in the engineers at Can-Am?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are always balancing "comfort" versus "handling"... I honestly think that BRP went more to the comfort side of the equation... and we surprised all of them with our sporty aspirations!
    The original 2010 RTs were SUPER soft: it did feel as if the bar ends were gonna scrape!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by peterparker View Post
    Just got home from a visit to Thornoli's in Houston, Texas. James Thorne is the man!!! He did a bit of maintenance on my 2014 RT LTD and also installed a cat delete and a Baja Ron swaybar. I really like both modifications and wish that I had done the swaybar a long time ago. HUGE difference in the steering input and tracking.

I highly recommend James' shop to anyone needing work done on their Spyder. Just look up Thornoli's and you can check out his website.

Bill
    I live south of Houston, will check that website.

Spyder Garage

The stiffer sway bar does not mean a more firm ride. It does not effect spring rates. Only cornering stability and ride confidence. The bike just feels much more sable under you.

Thanks for the cudo's. We try.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sway bar affects cornering stability, not ride?

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The stiffer sway bar does not mean a more firm ride. It does not effect spring rates. Only cornering stability and ride confidence. The bike just feels much more stable under you.

Thanks for the cudo's. We try.
    Appreciate the feedback and insight.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Alignment needed after installation or no...
    Also can you describe the improvement more? Not quite sure about the bars scraping the pavement lol. Just wondering if it improves the feeling of the front tires feeling like theyre about to fold over on rider inputs sometimes. Front feels super sensitive to sudden inputs that arise to avoid things sometimes.

Spyder Garage

Default swaybar

I had my swaybar upgraded at Spyderfest and could tell a big difference almost instantly especially when we ride two up.The front end doesn't push into the corner and the steering is more responsive and the bike doesn't dive when braking and cornering also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jim and Louise are really nice but my favorite is Shotgun the shop dog.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Shotgun the shop dog?

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Must be an inside joke?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    20160529_100703.jpg

The rock star always gets top billing...

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Can someone explain to me objectively the advantages / disadvantages of a stiffer sway bar? Thanks.
    I get this question all the time. And frankly, it is a difficult one to answer effectively. If you have ever ridden a go-cart on a track at an amusement park, the affect is similar. Because when you're riding a go-cart it feels like you are in total control and the machine will simply do whatever you ask of it. Now obviously, most of us don't really want a harsh riding, on the ground go-cart. But the beauty of the bar kit is that it gives you much better stability, control and handling without affecting the great ride that we all enjoy on our Spyders.

Because the sway bar increases traction at each tire, not only is handling more controlled and precise, overall stability is also increased. The the bar makes a big difference to any way you ride. As you load the Spyder, add a 2nd rider and then add a trailer. The sway bar works harder for you with each increment of added weight, which the sway bar sees as stress.

One of the most common feedback responses I get from customers goes something like this. 'I didn't think I needed to upgrade my sway bar. I had always been very happy with the way my Spyder rode and handled. But I finally decided to get a bar kit because everyone spoke so highly of the results. Now I wish I had done it a long time ago. I just didn't realize what I had been missing with the stock bar.'

I have been told that some dealerships are telling customers the ride will be more harsh or that you will need a new front end alignment if you install the sway bar kit. That is very unfortunate because neither of these are true. The sway bar has no effect what-so-ever on alignment (other than in turns where the sway bar helps MAINTAIN proper alignment by keeping the suspension components under control). Nor does the heavier sway bar have any affect when traveling straight ahead, (unless you are being buffeted by heavy cross winds or when passing a big semi-truck at freeway speeds. The sway bar will help stabilize your Spyder in these situations even while traveling straight ahead).

One added advantage to the sway bar upgrade is that if you ever need to make an emergency avoidance maneuver, the sway bar will give you much more control and help to recover from the maneuver much more quickly.

But the only way to really know what the sway bar does is to ride a Spyder with my bar kit installed. Most people can tell the difference in a few hundred feet. The effect will be very obvious.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-05-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    If your bike is correctly aligned before installing the sway bar, it will still be aligned properly afterward. I also will not correct a bad alignment.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Upgraded swaybar is not needed but it does greatly improve riding through the curves without constant adjustments. Upgraded shocks will also help with this but the swaybar is the cheaper upgrade.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If your bike is correctly aligned before installing the sway bar, it will still be aligned properly afterward. I also will not correct a bad alignment.
    Exactly!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    But the beauty of the bar kit is that it gives you much better stability, control and handling without affecting the great ride that we all enjoy on our Spyders.

Because the sway bar increases traction at each tire, not only is handling more controlled and precise, overall stability is also increased. The the bar makes a big difference to any way you ride. As you load the Spyder, add a 2nd rider and then add a trailer. The sway bar works harder for you with each increment of added weight, which the sway bar sees as stress.

One added advantage to the sway bar upgrade is that if you ever need to make an emergency avoidance maneuver, the sway bar will give you much more control and help to recover from the maneuver much more quickly.

Hope this helps!
    It does help, thanks. It also begs the question of why, if there's only upside potential and no down-side, why would Can-Am not install the stronger sway bars in the first place? Has anyone asked Can-Am that I wonder? Did it come up as a topic of conversation at the Homecoming or Spyderfest?

Also wondering how mods such as these affect the warranty / BEST extended? Probably not at all but thought I'd ask. I imagine there are some mods Can-Am would rather we not do to our rydes but this is probably not one of them.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-05-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added thoughts
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It does help, thanks. It also begs the question of why, if there's only upside potential and no down-side, why would Can-Am not install the stronger sway bars in the first place? Has anyone asked Can-Am that I wonder? Did it come up as a topic of conversation at the Homecoming or Spyderfest?

Also wondering how mods such as these affect the warranty / BEST extended? Probably not at all but thought I'd ask. I imagine there are some mods Can-Am would rather we not do to our rydes but this is probably not one of them.
    A very good question. And there are some theories as to why. But the bar does not affect warranty. There are some dealerships that put the bar kit on demo Spyders because they say they sell better with the bar installed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Also can you describe the improvement more? Not quite sure about the bars scraping the pavement lol. Just wondering if it improves the feeling of the front tires feeling like theyre about to fold over on rider inputs sometimes. Front feels super sensitive to sudden inputs that arise to avoid things sometimes.
    Had my Swaybar done by Netzley Tire last summer. Had the lazer alinement done at the same time. Amazing difference! My RT tracks like its on rails now.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I had my motorcycles I used to like to serpentine with the bikes. Gives you a good feel for how the bike corners & handles. I tried doing this when I first got my RTS & I didn't feel comfortable doing it. After I put the RonBar on I tried serpentine again & it handles a lot better.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that Ron did a bang-up job of describing the process!

Let me see if I can "boil it down" just a little bit...
    STOCK:
    You initiate the process by turning the bars...
    The bike starts to lean over, until it "takes a set"...
    (this is where all of the delays in the process happen)
    Once it has settled over: the turn starts.
    WITH RON'S ANTI-SWAYBAR:
    Everything happens the same way; but the bike leans a whole lot less, and settles in to start the turn much quicker!

Spyder Garage

Ok I'm sold, I give in, you all got me wanting one. Order will be placed soon. (like tomorrow)