Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry Heads up from Canada

Stayed in the Sandman Hotel across the river from Montreal last night. This morning a hotel employee tells me that he interrupted what he believed to be the theft of my new F3. He said six "muscle bound" young guys had surrounded the bike. Behind them was a pickup with a long trailer. His impression was that they were about to pick up the F3 and load it up. They saw him watching and stopped what they were doing. I'll refrain from saying anything about the freedom of thieves in a gun-free zone.

Tonight the F3 and the RT Limited are locked up in secure underground storage in a Sherbrooke hotel.

Brand new F3 ran flawlessly from western NC. So did Margie's 2015 RT Limited. Can't say the same for the new 3K trailer from USA Trailers in Greenville SC. Nothing but trouble the entire ride. Potential buyers beware!

See ya'll tomorrow.

Punji

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by punji View Post
    Stayed in the Sandman Hotel across the river from Montreal last night. This morning a hotel employee tells me that he interrupted what he believed to be the theft of my new F3. He said six "muscle bound" young guys had surrounded the bike. Behind them was a pickup with a long trailer. His impression was that they were about to pick up the F3 and load it up. They saw him watching and stopped what they were doing. I'll refrain from saying anything about the freedom of thieves in a gun-free zone.

Tonight the F3 and the RT Limited are locked up in secure underground storage in a Sherbrooke hotel.

Brand new F3 ran flawlessly from western NC. So did Margie's 2015 RT Limited. Can't say the same for the new 3K trailer from USA Trailers in Greenville SC. Nothing but trouble the entire ride. Potential buyers beware!

See ya'll tomorrow.

Punji
    Now that's a good heads up. Sounds like they may be cruising around the various hotels to snarf a or two. Glad their try on yours was a fail.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up.

I hope the hotels/motels have security camera's in there parking lots. Also, I hope that the local police do extra patrols thru the parking lots.

I am glad that yours are safe.
    Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 06-01-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a buddy who's Fat Boy was stolen at H-D's 100th? anniversary in Milwaukee back in the nineties. He said several were stolen by backing a tow truck up to them, picking them up and driving off. Very quick.........and profitable!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

What kind(s) of trouble did you have with the trailer?

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree

Deanna
    you think they would with the amount of added tourisum in town...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now that it has happened: I guess that I should say something...
    I insure a lot of snowmobiles that end up in Canada each Winter.
    And each Winter: we lose a couple of them to the locals up there.
    They target out of Country visitors, and take whatever isn't nailed down and guarded.
    KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN, and watch out for your friends also!
    Lock stuff down, and then lock down the thing that you locked it down to...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-02-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I sincerely apologize for the actions of a few of my fellow Quebecers.

There are *******s everywhere.

in 2012, I think, there was a large Spyder rally in the same area & a US visitor had his enclosed trailer containing 1 or 2 Spyders stolen overnight.

I was mortified then & am again today.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I sincerely apologize for the actions of a few of my fellow Quebecers.
    There are *******s everywhere.
    There's no need for you to apologize for the actions of these ... individuals!
    You are correct: they are everywhere!

And I sure didn't mean to make anyone think that everyone from Quebec likes to steal stuff either!
    There are LOTS of good folks everywhere also!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There's no need for you to apologize for the actions of these ... individuals!
    You are correct: they are everywhere!

And I sure didn't mean to make anyone think that everyone from Quebec likes to steal stuff either!
    There are LOTS of good folks everywhere also!

No problem, I never for one moment thought you did.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Deanna
    you think they would with the amount of added tourisum in town...
    Gene, I hope nobody's Spyders get stolen. I hope that the hotels/motels hired extra Security for the added tourism in town. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Another heads up...

For RT owners and others that have console pockets (whatever you call those handy storage places.)

Thieves have figured out how to get into the RT glove-boxes. If you lock your handlebars which locks the glove box, it's not that hard to break it open and take the contents. It doesn't matter if you have a cover on or not.

Please take all valuables off your Spyder when not riding it...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is sounding pretty annoying...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thieves are everywhere. Use common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    For RT owners and others that have console pockets (whatever you call those handy storage places.)

Thieves have figured out how to get into the RT glove-boxes. If you lock your handlebars which locks the glove box, it's not that hard to break it open and take the contents. It doesn't matter if you have a cover on or not.

Please take all valuables off your Spyder when not riding it...
    This issue is probably a non-starter for urban-dwellers; you just don't trust anyone you don't know with your valuable possessions and you assume and prepare for the worst in human behavior. Since moving to the rural area of Utah, I've come to understand how close-knit and trusting communities can be and why many riders on long trips might assume they can continue to be cavalier about the risks of theft or vandalism.

This isn't about Canada vs. the US. God knows, we have plenty of problems here with people looking for a quick buck for drugs or whatever. This is about using common sense, understanding the risk involved in going to events such as these, and accepting responsibility for that risk.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you and Toto "aren't in Kansas anymore": you can't expect to act as if you are...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by punji View Post

See ya'll tomorrow.

Punji

I won't say that this story is bull*****, but someone is lying. You, or the 'employee'.

Really!!!!..Six 'muscle bound guys' trying to steal your Spyder and get frightened off by a lone employee?????? Especially when there was a recent post on how many people it would take to steal a Spyder and the consensus was six strong guys.....And then...a comment about thieves in a 'gun free zone'????

Buddy, if you are that scared without your guns then please stay home next time, so that you don't have to come up with stories to try to justify having a gun on you all the time.

I will tell you something. If someone tried to steal your Spyder in Montreal, when there are Harleys everywhere ripe for the picking, then would have wanted it so bad that it would have been gone. Why would someone want to steal it? It's not like they would make a fortune off the 'desirable' parts.

Give me a break!!!!!!
    Last edited by bscrive; 06-04-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Huh? I looked at the OP as public service oriented. It has happened there before. A trailer with two was taken from a motel parking lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I won't say that this story is bull*****, but someone is lying. You, or the 'employee'.

Really!!!!..Six 'muscle bound guys' trying to steal your Spyder and get frightened off by a lone employee?????? Especially when there was a recent post on how many people it would take to steal a Spyder and the consensus was six strong guys.....And then...a comment about thieves in a 'gun free zone'????

Buddy, if you are that scared without your guns then please stay home next time, so that you don't have to come up with stories to try to justify having a gun on you all the time.

I will tell you something. If someone tried to steal your Spyder in Montreal, when there are Harleys everywhere ripe for the picking, then would have wanted it so bad that it would have been gone. Why would someone want to steal it? It's not like they would make a fortune off the 'desirable' parts.

Give me a break!!!!!!
    After saying " I will refrain" .... but he didn't did he ? I will refrain from posting a comparison of crime stats showing U. S. compared to Canada per capita ... because I'm not on a Spyder forum to post or read that crap . Next time you are making a " public service announcement " on here please do refrain from sharing your passion for guns or your displeasure for the country who has received you as a guest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now that I'm back in the States, I'll say it. I was treated as a guest by BRP employees and by people in the hospitality industry. I don't remember any other Quebecer being polite, kind or gracious in any way. It just goes to show rudeness can be in French as well as English, Canada as well as the USA.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Now that I'm back in the States, I'll say it. I was treated as a guest by BRP employees and by people in the hospitality industry. I don't remember any other Quebecer being polite, kind or gracious in any way. It just goes to show rudeness can be in French as well as English, Canada as well as the USA.
    I think it is a Quebec thing. If you don't speak French, you are not welcome. I noted the same thing when we visited in 1997. The police even dissed us when I tried to get directions to the Old City, where we had reservations at a quaint hotel, across from the square of the big famous one. And the first question we were asked when we went into the hotel: In his best Inspector Clousseau voice: Do you have zee reservation? Glad we did.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-05-2017 at 07:55 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I were at the Homecoming and we're treated very well by everyone we encountered. Some of the staff in restaurants and gas stations knew little English but we found that they tried to understand us and I really felt welcome. This is not what I was expecting. I had never been to Quebec before but I look forward to returning.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Patti,

sorry T your experience was not the best, but I have to say that we were treated great by everyone. The people at BRP were exceptional, as were the hotel staff, but so was everyone. t gas stations, grocery stores, and even the laundry Matt. When you ryde a Spyder 3500 miles, you can't carry enough clothes for the trip. My wife and I had one resident give us the detergent for the wash, and others gave us change for the Washer. Of course we also met a nice couple from Arkansas that also assisted with change! Great people everywhere, if you have a smile on your face and treat them with respect!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Still hasn't said what kind of problems he had with the trailer!!!!
    I am sure everyone would like to know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post

I hope the hotels/motels have security camera's in there parking lots. Also, I hope that the local police do extra patrols thru the parking lots.
    Deanna
    Security cameras in the parking lots and extra patrols by local LEOs, or hired hotel security, is the ideal situation when any large gathering(rally, fest, homecoming, anniversary) of bikes/trikes rolls into a town near you. However, this is not the reality that many of us face when we attend these events. More than likely:
    a. the security cameras are focused on the lobby area only, for obvious reasons.
    b. hotel chains have budgets, and most times they choose to not have full security camera coverage, private security, or they have one person/car that covers multiple venues.
    c. if vandalism/break-ins happen @a hotel, there is:
    1. an absence of transparency regarding getting the information out @the hotel, other rally hotels, or by event organizers, if they were made aware.
    2. don't expect the hotel to call the police/file a report because "they" don't want a "black eye" associated with them. That's an initiative to be taken by the individual(s) involved.
    Now that Spyders have gotten more and more popular, this is the price owners pay. As many have said, safety and security is up to the individual.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited