Spyder Garage

Default GPS - Garmin Zumo 595LM or 395LM? Others to consider?

I am leaning towards getting the 395LM. I like that you can program for rides that avoid highways and looks for twisties. I like going down roads I don't know, but GPS would make me feel a lot better again being able to get back!

We have the Sena 20s so can listen to music that way. I know thoe 595 is a little larger, which would be nice. Any other reason I should consider the 595? Any other GPS out there I should be considering?

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the Zumo 590lm and love it. I have read a few post here about not being able to see the screen in bright sunlight. 2 weeks in Utah in nothing but sunshine last year and never had that problem. The screen is a matte finish and always easy to see, even with my polarized glasses on.
    590 also has the "curvy road" option. I thought it would be great, but not so much after using it. I find better roads by doing research of other riders favorites online and then putting them into the unit.
    I love the weather option, we ran ahead of a storm for hours last year on the way home, and was able to gain on it enough that we were able to find cover before the hard rain and wind hit.
    I like that when you are searching for something like a gas station, you can search for the closest, or one in your active route.
    If you program in your Spyders tank size, and miles to empty, it will tell you if there are stations within your route and if you can make them.
    Love how it can be the central command center for your phone, music, and routes.

Bottom line for me, it is the best Motorcycle GPS I have used to date.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I like my 590 quite a bit too and have also found the Curvy Roads option somewhat lacking depending on where you try to use it. For example, in the NC mountains it works well but eastward toward the piedmont it seems to me to default a bit toward Faster Time which puts me on good state highways when I actually want to ride in the countryside.

I am finding that, for me, it is worth putting the time into learning BaseCamp to plan routes and upload them, but the software is definitely not user friendly and the online instructions are meager at best. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I like my 590 quite a bit too and have also found the Curvy Roads option somewhat lacking depending on where you try to use it. For example, in the NC mountains it works well but eastward toward the piedmont it seems to me to default a bit toward Faster Time which puts me on good state highways when I actually want to ride in the countryside.

I am finding that, for me, it is worth putting the time into learning BaseCamp to plan routes and upload them, but the software is definitely not user friendly and the online instructions are meager at best. YMMV.
    I use the Harley Davidson Ride Planner. https://rideplanner.harley-davidson....idePlanner.jsp I find it works quite well, its free, pretty user friendly, and exports to your Garmin in just a few seconds.

Spyder Garage

Default Harley planner

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I use the Harley Davidson Ride Planner. https://rideplanner.harley-davidson....idePlanner.jsp I find it works quite well, its free, pretty user friendly, and exports to your Garmin in just a few seconds.
    Thanks for sharing this. Just spent a few minutes checking it out but it's routing me on the major highways that gets you someplace faster but I'm more interested in back roads to enjoy the ride. Is there a way to select that? I didn't see it if there is. TIA!
    2016 F3 Limited
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Spyderpops lighted bumpskid
    Lamonster LED headlights

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

-Maria Robinson

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It may be "Old-School"; but I still like my Garmin 660.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JulieMarie View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. Just spent a few minutes checking it out but it's routing me on the major highways that gets you someplace faster but I'm more interested in back roads to enjoy the ride. Is there a way to select that? I didn't see it if there is. TIA!
    Left side under directions, (see pics) you click on show directions. Then check the box that says "avoid highways for this segment". you can also click on any of the roads and drag them to the rout you chose.HD1.JPGHD2.JPG
    We NEVER run freeways on trips.

Spyder Garage

There is a very good, free mapping program, https://ridewithgps.com/, based on Google Maps that easily exports .gpx files to BaseCamp from which you can upload to various Garmin devices. Set the program to the Bicycling mode and it will automatically avoid all limited access highways. I've used it for years both bicycling and with my Spyder. It's just my innate Jarhead stubbornness that refuses to let BaseCamp get the best of me since I have the time to work on it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can set up your routes anyway you want using waypoints. The biggest reason I use the HD ride planner is the ease in doing this. Spend a little more time to learn you can get it do it your way.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Can this GPS be installed using a 12 volt connection on the bike

Spyder Garage

A local rider here tested both the 390 and 590 (immediate predecessors to the ones your looking at) and wrote reviews on the KiwiBiker site (hopefully you don't have to be a member to read them):

390LM
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...min-ZUMO-390LM

590LM
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...min-Zumo-590LM

Having tried to get away with using a Phone/GPS software in a water proof case and a Car GPS in my tank bag I ended up getting a 590LM.

Why?

• It's waterproof and rugged (dropped mine and it still works)
    • It has its own mounting/power bracket designed for a motorbike. Very easy to remove the GPS when you stop riding.
    • Was very easy to operate with gloved hands, even winter gloves.
    • You can have the screen in portrait mode which I found worked best for me.
    • You can load it with music and play that through your intercom - there is also an option to play music from your phone but I found that wasn't so clear.
    • The Garmin software, through painful to use in comparison to google maps etc, is good for detailed route planning once you've worked out how to get the best from it. Takes a few goes and some 'this is useless' until it all makes sense:-). For the rallies I do I have to plan routes that can have 50 or more checkpoint stops and I have to play around with the route until I've got it right. Most map systems can't handle that sort of planning.
    • I wanted as big as screen as possible so I can see stuff at a glance. Screen is nice and clear, not cluttered but has the info you need.
    • I like how with just one press on the screen I can change the mode from map view to one that gives me speed, average speed, distance/time to next checkpoint etc.
    • You can tune the average speeds and it can end up being very accurate on destination times. (was 3 minutes out on a 20 hour ride).
    • The 'motorcycle roads' option is generally good, though occasionally it does make some odd decisions.

What I don't like:
    • Garmin Software - I have a love/hate with this:-) You have to be careful that when you copy your route from your computer to the device it doesn't re-plan it. You can prevent this but it's a bit fiddly
    • Battery life when not connected is very poor, perhaps 15 minutes which isn't that long if your tinkering with a route in a café before getting back on the bike - I've just got a new 595 battery for mine as they are supposed to be better but not tried it yet
    • It doesn't make that much of a fuss visually about reaching a checkpoint so if you have several on your planned route make sure you've got the sound turned on so you hear it.
    • Doesn't always know when a road is gravel, but then New Zealand maps aren't that clear on that either.

Spyder Garage

Forget all those other GPS models.
    Forget the huge expense too!

I bought this and its the best Motorcycle GPS available!

FODsports GPS

https://www.amazon.com/Terrain-Inch-.../dp/B00HPPWOEI
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    Forget all those other GPS models.
    Forget the huge expense too!

I bought this and its the best Motorcycle GPS available!

FODsports GPS

https://www.amazon.com/Terrain-Inch-.../dp/B00HPPWOEI
    yeah, right. 2.9 on Amazon. No updates, poor screen. No pre installed maps. 4GB storage. Made in God knows where. That'll be high on my list when I get rid of my Garmin.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default zumo

Zumo as far as can tell is the only one that has Blue Tooth that will talk to your SCALA or SENA intercoms. I have not found any others yet that will do that. The Zumo's are considered motorcycle GPS's and have the Blue Tooth connectivity feature. Would love to get something else. But you gotta hear when to turn, cause you sure can't see it in bright sunlight. (ya, ya I know you can get a shade for it) Just would like something that really works on a motorcycle.

Chris