Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Dash mount for RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    This was a great addition. If you use a camera there, the silver reflects off of the windshield. It is easily painted black and looks really nice. Minimal reflection.

Spyder Garage

Default easy way out

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I should have been more clear. I already have the RAM mount accessory bar attached to above my dash. Now I have to figure out the wiring. THAT is what I'm looking for some advice on. Thanks.
    I also put the bracket and ram mount on top but finding the easy way out, I removed one of the useless gages and had a 12 volt outlet installed then just uses a cigarette charge cable. I plug it in when I need to and store it away when I don't need GPS

Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried changing the location of the GPS mount so that it is closer to eye level? I'd like to mount mine above the dash, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to see the route / instructions / etc. Also, mounting it higher and level will eliminate much of the sun glare on the screen.

I thought it might be a simple matter of rerouting the factory gps cable but everything is so tight in there I haven't been able to figure out where it originates.

Got any tips on this?
    I put my GPS above the dashboard . I bought the flat dash bar w/several holes for attaching other attachments from JT( he is a vendor on this site) I got the black stain steel. Here is a picture: Dash bar mount 001.jpg flat dash bar mount, & Dash bar mount 002.jpg B-Ball on long arm back of GPS mount, Dash bar mount 004.jpg long arm attached to B-ball, Dash bar mount 003.jpg back of GPS holder with B-Ball.

I have a 2014RTS-SE6. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harry1025 View Post
    ok going to try this with pictures used ram stick on mounts one on each side of console with regular length arm so far works well purchased wiring from edotechsupply.com for both sat and gps hard wire into the harness no cig. lighter socket required ran wire through the dash along side upper arms for windshield picked up power and ground from fuel gauge and temp gauge now let's try pictures
    The links did not work for me. Would you repost links. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsd1 View Post
    I also put the bracket and ram mount on top but finding the easy way out, I removed one of the useless gages and had a 12 volt outlet installed then just uses a cigarette charge cable. I plug it in when I need to and store it away when I don't need GPS
    Or buy a 12Volt Dual adapter with wires/ with on/off switch & connect to battery in the front.

I bought mine from JT who is a vender on this site.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wiring GPS mounted on dash (power only)

After listening to all the advice and suggestions here, I decided to route the power cable through the back of the windshield, down through the slot at the bottom, between the headlight modules and then into the frunk where it can be attached via battery tender connector to the battery. This leaves it with power on always, but I don't intend to leave the gps sitting out there on the bike unattended anyway. This solution involved removing several pieces of tupperware to expose the space between the headlights, but that's it. I didn't have to cut any wires, tap into any circuits or drill any holes except for the small slot where the cable enters the frunk.

See attached pics (assuming I can figure out how to attach them)

20170531_165806.jpg20170531_165928.jpg20170531_170005.jpg20170531_170405.jpg20170531_174658.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default sun sheild

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post

Hay Pete, I tried to send these in a message but had no luck. Doc Riverside did most of the work on this, and I feel fortunate that he let me help. This position makes for easy viewing without blocking any of the road. It wasn't hard to do, just time consuming and required opening up the front between the frunk and console (and taking off the windshield ) allowed easy access and sight , and we opened up the righthand side to make it easier to thread the connector thru the framework. If you are still interested in doing this, contact Doc Riversider, or, I can try to explain what all we did on the telephone.

David
    where did you get the sun shield is that a ram part ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure what you are referring to (sun shield).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Harry, I ordered it off of Amazon, do a search for Garmin Zumo sun hood. Or, go to www.rbnshoods.com

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Update to the dashboard gps mount

After listening to all the advice and suggestions here, I decided to route the power cable through the back of the windshield, down through the slot at the bottom, between the headlight modules and then into the frunk where it can be attached via battery tender connector to the battery. This leaves it with power on always, but I don't intend to leave the gps sitting out there on the bike unattended anyway. This solution involved removing several pieces of tupperware to expose the space between the headlights, but that's it. I didn't have to cut any wires, tap into any circuits or drill any holes except for the small slot where the cable enters the frunk.

See attached pics (assuming I can figure out how to attach them)

20170531_174658.jpg
    Had a chance to try out the new gps mount this weekend. Really like the new position on the dashboard near eye level. But, being on a 9-inch RAM arm it vibrates way too much on anything but the smoothest road . So, I'm going to try to resolve that issue by positioning weatherstripping foam between the top of the dash and the bottom of the gps and see if that helps.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hey Pete, nice work. The vibration of the long arm is why I mounted mine the way I did with the short arm. I still have a little vibration but not enough to be a problem. Keep up the good work. Here is my end result.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default Head-Up Display

Spyder Garage

Let me try this again. I just moved the GPS from the handlebar to the top of the console, because I didn't want to purchase a mount for the triaxis bars. So I used a RAM mount to put the GPS right above the 'safety card'. It wasn't that hard, but it was time consuming as the wiring harness runs down the right hand side behind the body work. There is enough wire to do this and we pulled the GPS wiring from the handlebar, out the side, and then had to open up the wiring harness to get enough wire to run it up and on top of the console. We took off the top of the console and just re-routed the wiring, then put it back together.

David
    this is a great idea, I'm going to do same. I just took apart gps bracket at handle bar, thinking it had a plug-in to back of garmin holder. but it doesn't. I have not yet took off any Tupperware. so if you follow wire down to somewhere, does that end have a plastic connector to unplug? just wondering which side might be easier to take apart, if its the garmin holder, I would have to take off back then take wires apart in that internal area
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    You seem to have some sort of bean-bag up there to dampen vibrations; am I right?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Cable

just got gps cable out. WHEW what a time. my first time inside spyder. windshield, assorted Tupperware, 1 light, instrument cluster. its an amazing machine inside! now I can re-route cable up on top dash, and install tricled phone holder / usb cig lighter on handlebar where gps was at
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Hey Pete, nice work. The vibration of the long arm is why I mounted mine the way I did with the short arm. I still have a little vibration but not enough to be a problem. Keep up the good work. Here is my end result.

David
    I have the long arm and had vibration. I solve the problem by placing a tiny piece on velcro on the GPS bottom and on the dash top. You cannot see it and it works perfectly
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Foam

I used a 4" piece of weather-stripping foam attached to the bottom of the 660LM and the shorter arm. Worked perfect on our last trip to the Black hills and Cody Wy.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow