Spyder Garage

Default Critter crossing

This is a question to the well seasoned rider. I'm still a newbe Spider rider and almost had a situation with a critter crossing the road. If there wasn't anyway to keep from running over a critter how would it be done? What I mean is try to strattle the front and back wheel or just nail it with the back wheel. Has anyone run a critter over with back wheel? What kind of weird thing does the bike do when this happens?

Spyder Garage

Well of few live critters (most are already road kill here) I've had to dodge thus far I've found the sweet spot for dodging potholes too,(if unavoidable close) is to put it right under the mirror & floorboards (or pegs), either side it will miss your tires. Otherwise if you center it you will get good kick in your rear when it hits there no loss of control just not too good if you have back issues of any sort

Fyi this is for the smaller critters: opossums, coons, squirrel & such, larger critters deer & such have been hit & there are threads about that
    Last edited by Bfromla; 05-28-2017 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Critter list

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I was always taught not to swerve for critters (unless they are big and stationary:-)) because:
    a. You don't know what way they'll dodge
    b. It's better to hit something with the front wheel/s pointing down the road.

I've hit two possums on my Spyder and not had any ill effect. NZ Possums are about the size of a large tom cat, local nickname "Natures speedbumps" for obvious reasons.

First time was just within the front wheel so it was the back wheel that took it out, knew I'd gone over it but other than the bump barely a twinge from the Spyder. Second time was with the front wheel on a corner but braced so just a jolt though the bars as the wheel went over it. Certainly a lot easier than hitting one on a motorbike.

Pot holes I go for just inside the front wheel as that way they normally miss the back wheel as well, the back copes with them better and has less impact on your line.

For bigger things like sheep (which are not uncommon here:-)) I just brake, if I have the option aim for their arse on the basis that that's there they will not be when I get there.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 05-28-2017 at 03:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

If there's no way to safely avoid the smaller Critters I put them under the back tire just in case they splatter!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the critter can be placed JUST inside one of your front tires: it might just slide right on by the rear tire with a complete miss!
    (That's the 2nd best-case scenario...)
    If it's small enough to not catch on the low-hanging bodywork up front, and you have no other choice: put it under the rear tire.
    Hitting a larger "road target" with a front tire might upset your steering. I hit a mid-sized dog with my 2010 RT (Right-Front tire...)
    It put that tire up in the air about a foot, and wasn't a pleasant ride!

The best case scenario? Be on the brakes, and don't have to hit them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...... I hit a mid-sized dog with my 2010 RT (Right-Front tire...)
    I've often wondered what would happen if I hit a good sized critter, or even if a small one got snagged between a front tire and its fender, and I assumed it'd slam me to a stop and send me sailing into the windshield. So it's good to know that, at least in this particular case, your Spyder just climbed over the dog. I can imagine it wasn't pleasant! But I'm gonna ride a tad happier now knowing that I might not get launched.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

I hit and killed a dog. There was no choice on how or where I hit it. It ran out in front of me the last second. Hit it just to the right of center the front trunk. It was a very solid bang when I hit it and not that big a bounce when the back tire went over. If I had of been on 2 wheel I would have went down for sure. Smashed the front trunk bucket and if it was not for the truck liner, all my stuff would have spilled all over the road.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    and I assumed it'd slam me to a stop and send me sailing into the windshield.
    With the kinetic energy that you carry at speed: the bike barely even knows that there was something in the way...
    That is: as long as the damage to the bike doesn't kill a vital system...

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the mass of the object and to the square of its velocity: K.E. = 1/2 m v2. If the mass has units of kilograms and the velocity of meters per second, the kinetic energy has units of kilograms-meters squared per second squared.

Essentially: 1200 or 1300 pounds of mass traveling at highway speeds delivers on helluva punch!

Example: a 500 kg mass at 65 meters per second (40 mph) yields almost 150,000 foot-pounds of energy...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-28-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I hit and killed a dog. There was no choice on how or where I hit it. It ran out in front of me the last second. Hit it just to the right of center the front trunk. It was a very solid bang when I hit it and not that big a bounce when the back tire went over. If I had of been on 2 wheel I would have went down for sure. Smashed the front trunk bucket and if it was not for the truck liner, all my stuff would have spilled all over the road.
    I had a similar situation with a large dog. It came up out of a ditch. I am going 55 + and there is a truck in the oncoming lane of a two lane. One choice in a split second. Hold on and hit the dog. The front end nailed the dog and it flew up and over the . Over $2K damage to the . Which was fixed like new. The dog did not survive. I stopped the , pulled over to the side of the road, and removed the dog from the lane--so others would not run over it again. Curiously, no one even stopped to help and see if either of us were all right.

I have also played dodgeball with moose and a bear. In both situations, there was no oncoming traffic so other than needing toilet paper, we all went on with our lives.

Objects that come up quickly or pot holes: I try to be observant and if I cannot avoid them altogether, try to put them between the outside wheel and the center. I have about a 90% track record there. I avoid wood like the plague. Most pieces have nails in them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

D,
    Did you have a Bumpskid up under the nose of your bike during the encounter with the dog?

Spyder Garage

D,
    Did you have a Bumpskid up under the nose of your bike during the encounter with the dog?
    No bumpskid. I had that put on shortly thereafter, as well as KOTT grills. The bike was driveable, no leaks, alignment was performed later that year and was not to much off kilter. Mostly cosmetic damage, but one radiator was replaced. I consider myself very lucky.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    .... there was no oncoming traffic so other than needing toilet paper, we all went on with our lives.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Default critters

got a gopher the other day hardly felt it but he didn't survive felt bad but not want to wreck over a gopher

Spyder Garage

If the critter can be placed JUST inside one of your front tires: it might just slide right on by the rear tire with a complete miss!
    (That's the 2nd best-case scenario...)
    If it's small enough to not catch on the low-hanging bodywork up front, and you have no other choice: put it under the rear tire.
    Hitting a larger "road target" with a front tire might upset your steering. I hit a mid-sized dog with my 2010 RT (Right-Front tire...)

The best case scenario? Be on the brakes, and don't have to hit them...

Thankfully in the short time I've owned my Spyder, the "critter problem" is one I haven't come across yet...... Lord help me I don't just shut my eyes, yell and hang on for dear life!!!
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

I was always told if you can eat the critter in one setting at the table then aim for it if you can't stop. The critter could easily move the same way you swerve and swerving can lead to disaster. $2K or $5K damage to your machine is much better than the damage that can be done to you. So far the horn and brakes has served me well but you never know what the next ryde will bring.

Spyder Garage

Default Critters

Thanks to everyone who posted it is great info and good stories that we all learn from. And the occasional joke that makes me smile.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

PersoNally, I hit them with the front tire, this way there may be more Undamaged meat for the campfire that evening!
    Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If I had of been on 2 wheel I would have went down for sure. Smashed the front trunk bucket and if it was not for the truck liner, all my stuff would have spilled all over the road.
    Glad you were OK. You just presented a great argument for "liners" that I never considered. Even if one popped open everything would be in one container and protected a bit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dieselengine9 View Post
    I was always told if you can eat the critter in one setting at the table then aim for it if you can't stop. .
    The only problem that I see with this logic: What if you're REALLY hungry, and it's a REALLY SMALL goat?
    The time spent debating with yourself might make a difference!