Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default air scoop kit RS/ST 2013 & prior for my 2010 ?

Hi Guys,
    I have a 2010 RTS with a trailer that we use for a trip bike bought new in 2010. I have just shy 17,000 miles & would have been considerably more except for heat problems riding 2 up pulling a loaded trailer during the summer. I installed a manual fan switch to use in stop & go traffic above 90* & it has worked ok although have to change switches every 6 months or more.
    Went into the Dealer, I do 90% of my own maintenance & was ordering a mirror replacement part & rear brake pads, noticed a Spyder with air scoops below the mirrors.
    This is something which may work well for me keeping the bike cooler.
    Question is can I get this mod performed on a 2010 ?

As an aside, I am still running original tires. Fronts tires appear to be at 1/2 life but am almost to the change line bar on the rear.
    2nd question - I have run down to the empty red line but the most I can get into the tank is around 4.2 gallons. I average 30mpg except when pulling the trailer it drops to 25 mpg.
    Ant useful suggestions appreciated greatly.

French

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JFrench View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I have a 2010 RTS with a trailer that we use for a trip bike bought new in 2010. I have just shy 17,000 miles & would have been considerably more except for heat problems riding 2 up pulling a loaded trailer during the summer. I installed a manual fan switch to use in stop & go traffic above 90* & it has worked ok although have to change switches every 6 months or more.
    Went into the Dealer, I do 90% of my own maintenance & was ordering a mirror replacement part & rear brake pads, noticed a Spyder with air scoops below the mirrors.
    This is something which may work well for me keeping the bike cooler.
    Question is can I get this mod performed on a 2010 ?

As an aside, I am still running original tires. Fronts tires appear to be at 1/2 life but am almost to the change line bar on the rear.
    2nd question - I have run down to the empty red line but the most I can get into the tank is around 4.2 gallons. I average 30mpg except when pulling the trailer it drops to 25 mpg.
    Ant useful suggestions appreciated greatly.

French
    well the air scoops were added on 2013 RT's with heat problems may take some redneck work to fit on a 2010. Your tank should hold 6.6gal when bone dry, there were lots of problems with the analog fuel gauge tho, look for other treads about digital fix mpg is about right if you are shifting right. Try ethanol free gas for lil help on that.
    http://pure-gas.org

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of people have put the 13 recall vents on their 2012 RT - if your rt body shape is the same, it should work. Hopefully someone else knows more?

Spyder Garage

Default air scoops

Yes you can put them on the 2010 RT-S I have them on mine, They are a big improvement.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the link & reply

Thanks for the reply Guys & the link to ethanol free gas. I was able to discover 2 other places in town since I never run ethanol in my boat motor after having changed a fuel pump due to the hard plastic ethanol clog.
    http://pure-gas.org
    Will definitely check on changing the analog gas gauge since I generally have to fill about every 125 miles with 4 gallons.
    If others were able to install the 2013 air scoop mod on a 2012, there should be no problem with the 2010 since the body panels appear to be the same. Mine is a very early model 2010 & guarantee Heat issues are the norm rather than the exception here in Louisiana where 90* is May to December.
    ***Very curious as to why BRP made a factory expense mod change for 2013 bikes with heat problems & totally ignored all of its previous customers which have experienced worse. The 2010 models even have a weaker fan motor that was upgraded in 2011.

**This has been an adventure in ownership of a bike. Extremely limited number of shops in Louisiana (Mine is 50 miles distant) & every part is an ordering experience lasting a week which is why I learned to perform 90* of my own maintenance ordering parts off the Internet. Worse is there is an exceptionally small trade-in value & virtually no market for selling used even with a bike in pristine condition.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Appreciate the info

I definitely appreciate the response from a 2010 owner, we are the ancient bikes with all the initial bugs which BRP worked out for the rest but completely forgot about including us.
    Question - how much of a difference did it make & do you still need to manually run the fan with a switch in stop & go traffic ?
    Like you, I live in a warm weather area & instead of anti-freeze, I only run Red Line wetter agent to keep it cooler. Also found the Amsoil 10/30 to help it run cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Madincalif View Post
    Yes you can put them on the 2010 RT-S I have them on mine, They are a big improvement.