Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There IS a lot of useful information in it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

And on the bike.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Instead of BROWSING try READING the manual!

AJ
    I have been riding a LONG time - back when motorcycles only automated feature was a speedometer, if that. A few years ago I bought a car that came with two thick manuals - one for the car itself and another for all the gadgets (audio, etc.). The Spyder's manual is about half that size but I doubt I will ever get the hang of (1) put one finger here and hold while (2) placing other hand on switch B here then (c) put switch to start - and don't forget to put foot on brake. I ran out of digits trying to operate this damn thing!

I'll just give it time to learn the important things and hit the manual otherwise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I have been riding a LONG time - back when motorcycles only automated feature was a speedometer, if that. A few years ago I bought a car that came with two thick manuals - one for the car itself and another for all the gadgets (audio, etc.). The Spyder's manual is about half that size but I doubt I will ever get the hang of (1) put one finger here and hold while (2) placing other hand on switch B here then (c) put switch to start - and don't forget to put foot on brake. I ran out of digits trying to operate this damn thing!

I'll just give it time to learn the important things and hit the manual otherwise.
    if i can do it anyone can.have been through early hondas, yamahas, vtx 1300c, and victory crossroads.
    you can teach old dogs new tricks. got my rts just before my 68th birthday last year. and i forgot
    1 thing--WELCOME to the madness of spyderlovers.--irv
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lot of us end up learning things in this manner...
    When we find a "gap" in a necessary part of what we need to know: we fill it!
    But they DID give you that nicely-packaged manaul for a reason...
    (It would certainly make for good reading material when you're "on the throne"! )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post

Many of us have ridden a long time. Me, since 1964 and almost 50 assorted 2-wheelers. The is a totally different machine. It took me 1500 miles to get comfortable with it. Just saying. You have come on board and it seems like you were asking for advice to overcome your observations. Now, it seems you have an argument or a I am not going to do it that way for everything that someone suggests. You may find your help slowly going away.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Many of us have ridden a long time. Me, since 1964 and almost 50 assorted 2-wheelers. The is a totally different machine. It took me 1500 miles to get comfortable with it. Just saying. You have come on board and it seems like you were asking for advice to overcome your observations. Now, it seems you have an argument or a I am not going to do it that way for everything that someone suggests. You may find your help slowly going away.
    Not dissing the help at all. Just venting a bit. Before I bought the Spyder I noted all the negative comments about the "nanny". Now I understand why.

I bought it largely so the wifey could drive it and that may be how it spends its life.

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The shifting gets better as you put some miles on it and after its first oil change. Especially if you switch to a good fully synthetic oil.

Do not let off the throttle during upshifts.
    But do you roll off the throtle during manual downshifts?
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    But do you roll off the throtle during manual downshifts?
    Not with the SE transmission! If you do, you will make the change 'less smooth'!

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Not with the SE transmission! If you do, you will make the change 'less smooth'!
    Thanks Peter, I read the manual and it was clear on the upshift, but unless I missed it, the manual downshift was not clear so I had to ask.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You probably will find that most of your downshifting is done when you're slowing down. That's when you would most likely be off the throttle anyway!
    (Not counting a downshift for a pass: of course! )

Spyder Garage

Default Auto down has it's uses

The other night I was riding home from work at around midnight when I crested a blind hill and found a deer standing in my lane. I was riding my wife's ST, and came to a nauseating stop in a hurry. The deer looked at me for just a second before it turned away and took off. I immediately got back on the gas because I was worried about a car coming over the hill behind me. When I did I realized that even though I had not downshifted, the ST was already in first gear, and it took off quickly. On my RS-S I would have had to shift down before I could have taken off again.

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............