Spyder Garage

Default Steering column bolt screw size

Hey all...anyone know what the bolt/screw thread size and bolt length of the four steering column bolts?

I want something like this RAM ball with screw...however, I have no idea what size and I couldn't wait on hold form a customer service rep to answer at RAM.

I have one like it Pitbull put in for me when I bought my 2014 ST-S SE5, however Lamonster's garage doesn't have them anymore from what they said.

I've seen other things like that one from RAM...the stainless steel one from SpyderAccessories, but it's too long and a bit pricy. And I don't want a plate at the moment because I'm only mounting my cup holder and cell phone...the RAM ball w/screw setup just look cleaner to me.

Thanks ya'll!
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Almost

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    Yes, however shorter like this: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...ounting-points

I just don't know if the screw that comes with it is the right one for my machine.

BTW, I called TwistedThrottle and the guy said he can't guarantee, and suggested I take the screw out and check it at a hardware store matching machine. Finding out here would save time, but worst case I'll do what he suggested.

This one is a M10 18-8 stainless steel screw...http://store.valueaccessories.net/Sp...MMountKit.aspx

So why do the others have M6 and M8...? I'm not sure which one is the right size.
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 05-26-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: forgot to add i called and inquired

Spyder Garage

Default steering column bolt size/type

suggested I take the screw out and check it at a hardware store matching machine.

That would surely be my advise also. However be aware that the factory locktite holds REALLY well, hard to back them out for the first 3/8 of an inch. Make very certain that you have the correct size metric allen wrench to take them out.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 ST-S SE5 Steering Handle Bolts

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumanPIBE View Post
    Hey all...anyone know what the bolt/screw thread size and bolt length of the four steering column bolts? I want something like this RAM ball with screw...however, I have no idea what size and I couldn't wait on hold form a customer service rep to answer at RAM. I have one like it Pitbull put in for me when I bought my 2014 ST-S SE5, however Lamonster's garage doesn't have them anymore from what they said. I've seen other things like that one from RAM...the stainless steel one from SpyderAccessories, but it's too long and a bit pricy. And I don't want a plate at the moment because I'm only mounting my cup holder and cell phone...the RAM ball w/screw setup just look cleaner to me. Thanks ya'll!
    ST-S SE5 Steering Handle Bolts.JPG

M10 x 40
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

The steering parts page for the 2014 ST-S confirms Murray's answer.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post

Thank you very much!! And I learned something...how to find parts...LOL. Never thought of looking up that.

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The steering parts page for the 2014 ST-S confirms Murray's answer.
    Thank you as well...verification is always nice! TwistedThrottle customer service rep told me Friday he'd double down bet the M6 size would fit. Wow...bit off ya think.

Spyder Garage

Default So after doing some more research...

All I want is a clean setup...just a ball with a M10 bolt with the correct pitch threading (not sure it is 1.25 or 1.50 now) so I can mount what I want. It was suggested I could use this product...eh...I'm not saying ValuesAccessories product is POS...it's just not for me.

I've spoken with RAM mounts, TwistedThrottle and other companies who carry the RAM mounts base 1" balls with the screw/bolt only setup...however, they only have M8 and M6 bolts. One company I'm not going to name actually said the M6 would fit in my steering column. I'm so glad I posted here first and found out the bolt size is actually M10.

I sent one last memo to RAM asking if they could just sell me the 1" ball with the hole...no response yet. I could then add the M10 bolt to it.

I've seen a lot of these, but the size of 1/4"-20 is not M10 and I cannot find a M10 bolt where the head is 1/4"-20 or any double ended stud bolt.

Then there is CanAmSpyderAccessories in Canada who is the only one thus far who has the "almost" correct setup...link to product...however, it does not meet my wants. It is too way too tall.

I thought of making my own and selling them...but, I've already got things going on where I'm doing good to make just one or two for myself. Plus I do not have some tools which may help make the small finer adjustments needed for a good clean fit/setup.

I'd need:
    o M10x60mm 1.25 pitch rod stainless “OR” M10x60mm 1.25 pitch double ended stud stainless (the pitch might be 1.50)
    o M10x60mm 1.25 pitch stainless coupling nut (the pitch might be 1.50)
    o M10 ram ball which has the M10 male threading on it
    o M10 washers

I came across the following: http://buybits.com/motorcycle-handle...sku-18207.html

This company sells these on eBay, Amazon and their own site. I also found the following old archived post, but I'm not sure if the member still receives emails since no recent activity in about a year. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...p/t-67146.html

I wanted to see if anyone has used this item and/or could suggest something like it.

It's just frustrating for something so cool and helpful as the RAM ball mount system, that I cannot find one without having to practically make one myself...and with Spyders becoming so popular, it's just hard to believe.

Anyway...thoughts on this topic without having to do a test run on a an international product which may not fit due to pitch in the threading...?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

& end result??

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Not yet...not sure of thread pitch size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    & end result??
    Still researching to ensure what thread pitch size (1.25 or 1.50) is correct before buying the already made one in Europe or making my own.

I'll be more than happy to share my findings and completed setup once done.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up RAM Mount

I built a similar RAM mount for my GPS using these bolts.
    M10x1.5x100mm. Socket head cap screws.
    purchased thru EBay.com 3 bolts for $2.00.

The RAM ball is from an Chinese XGrip Cell phone clamp.
    Also bought spacers and washers at my local hardware store.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Default Cool...similar...

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I built a similar RAM mount for my GPS using these bolts.
    M10x1.5x100mm. Socket head cap screws.
    purchased thru EBay.com 3 bolts for $2.00.

The RAM ball is from an Chinese XGrip Cell phone clamp.
    Also bought spacers and washers at my local hardware store.

Did you use the entire length of the 100mm or did you have to trim it to a certain size?

Spyder Garage

Default Made the plunge...

Purchased two sets of the following after the old article posted above...the former Spyder owner emailed me back stating these worked out great and had no problems...I'll post my own review when they arrive and mounted. Ready to use my cup holder! How crazy...grown man excited about a cup holder...so cool.

http://buybits.com/motorcycle-handle...sku-18207.html

Spyder Garage

Could you post a picture please?
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Spyder Garage

I finally tried to install it a few days ago, and the ball sits too far in the steering hole's inset where the Ram mount grip will not latch onto it.

The threads work fine, but the bolt needs to be longer or something so the ball does not sit so far in the steering's inset. I just put the original bolt back in, and decided to work on this another time. If someone has any suggestions, that'd be great.

I should've taken a pic with it sitting so low into the inset, but go frustrated and put the original back in...so no pic.

I'm just now back into life, so I am a few days late on updating this post to inform those with 2014 ST-S SE5's and stock steering that this bolt ball setup will not work.
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 07-22-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: forgot to add why didn't take picture

Spyder Garage

You could save yourself alot of trouble by just getting this (albeit for a few extra $$)...
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...-rs-lamonster/
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

@Raprider I Like that one at Lamonster. Might be a bit more, but it's still almost $10 cheaper than the single stainless bolt. ...not only cheaper, but seems much more stable and out of the way.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm going to order one this eve and post pics after I receive it and install things. I'll feel a lot more comfortable with my gps unit on this one than the others. It's already fragile enough.

Spyder Garage

You're welcome, bayouman! I installed that plus the large X-grip a few months ago...it puts my phone/gps just below eyesight with full face helmet on, so not really a distraction and easy to glance at.

Use care removing the existing bolts...BRP used lotsa loc-tite!
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

@Raprider Apparently I waited too long...that is not available anymore. However, they do have another one, and I believe it will fit.

I'll just keep what I have setup since the dash mount cracked the dash. Here's what I have now:

20190801_221859.jpg 20190801_221834.jpg

I fixed the dash to last either forever or A LOT longer after cracking it with the dash mount idea mentioned on another post I created. You cannot tell in a photo, but you can feel it with some cool smooth texture that has some flexibility to it. I used the following:

Rust-oleum LeakSeal Black Flexible Rubber Coating Spray Paint
    Rust-oleum Black 2X Ultra Cover Gloss Spray
    Rust-oleum Universal Clear Topcoat

Here's some pics after re-mounted the dash after I spent 5 days spraying and curing it. This is not cracks or missing paint...it's dust from the garage and specks reflecting. It's a nice smooth/rough feel/texture. I like it a lot.

20190801_225519.jpg 20190801_225538.jpg 20190801_225614.jpg 20190801_225648.jpg
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 08-01-2019 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to add URL for my other post and pics of dash