Thread: New owner

Spyder Garage

Default New owner

Last week I bought a (new to me) 2014 RT limited with matching trailer. Bought the bike from a non-Can Am dealer in Tulsa, OK and rode it home to Mesa, AZ. The bike had 8,400 miles on it when I picked it up. The trip was not uneventful. After getting on the road I noticed the front tires were bouncing badly on bumps. I pulled into a dealer in Amarillo who said the shocks were leaking. The bike has aftermarket Elka shocks and he could not repair. I continued on. Upon arrival in Socorro NM I noticed my rear tire was completely bald down the middle. Checking pressure revealed that the seller had aired up the tire to over 38psi. The next day I backtracked to Albuquerque NM where I had the tire replaced. Finally arriving in Mesa last Saturday I contacted the seller and to much surprise, they are completely standing behind the sale and taking care of me. They ordered both front shocks and will mail them to me along with a check to reimburse me for the cost of the new tire. INTEGRITY LIVES.....I did not know the bike had Elka shocks before taking delivery so I was surprised to see them. At this point, I will install the OEM shocks and decide what to do with the Elkas. I am concerned that they did not last 10K miles and I'm leery of rebuilding and reinstalling them. I would like the thoughts of those more experienced than me. Thanks....

Spyder Garage

I'm still a newb, but you came to the right place for advice. They are awesome on this site. Good luck

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome welcome....

To the spyder world and this amazing site... too bad about the trials and tribulations on the trip home. Elkas do need rebuilding (as per their maintenance manual) so not surprised and not free either. Glad that was it and you made it home safely. Your very lucky they will make it right...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder and to the spyder web. you may want to read the do's and do not's for new spyder owners. It can be found in the general discussion forum. Dale

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default WILKOMMEN...

...from another noob. Nothing like diving right in and learning about your ride, too bad it wasn't on your home turf. You've got a great dealership there in Mesa, from the sound of it. Wish all the others could emulate them. Lots of great info and insights available here, don't be a stranger.

Spyder Garage

and Sorry to hear the ride was somewhat eventful. Glad to hear the non BRP dealer is going to make good. That is above and beyond these days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sure glad that the dealer is standing up and helping you out.But why did they deliverer you a bike that needed repairs.I can see a shock maybe started to leak after you picked it up but the tire had to pass a safty?Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome and congrats !

Glad you're being supported on your sale.