Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Do I need a new water pump?

Hi everyone. Apologies for my first post not being an introduction post, but I have come seeking some, hopefully, quick advice.

Background. My father left me his 2009 RT SE5 with 65k miles (now 72k), number 395 off the line. He didn't get to ride it but 500 miles before he couldn't ride anymore, so its past is a mystery.
    What is not a mystery is the almost $4k I've put into it over the last two years to keep it running. The list is long.
    Multiple air sensor recalibrations.
    New air sensor (go figure).
    Rear brake sensor replaced, twice.
    Rear brakes.
    New radiator (shop accident, no cost).
    Shift shaft replacement.
    New seals (not sure which, but $600 worth of it).
    New left side hand controls (radio and shift buttons stopped working).

After getting it back from the new air sensor, less than 100 miles of riding, I get puddles of (blue) coolant in my garage. Small, softball in diameter, so not too crazy.
    I just got the call that it blew some seal on the pump and killed the pump, but I rode it a couple times and it wasn't overheating, didn't smell funny, nothing, just the puddle after the ride. I'm in Florida and it's already in the 90s down here, FYI. Normally, I don't question the mechanic, but after all the money I spent at their place, I just want to make sure this time before shoveling out another $700. I'm not denying the miles either (72k in case you missed it) so I know it just might be time.

If anyone can advise, please do. I've told them to hold and that I want to see the part myself. This is a setup in case anyone here can give me something to look for.

Thanks in advance.

tl;dr Bunch of work done to 09 RT, leaves little puddles of coolant, what do I look for on the pump to make sure that's the problem?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the RS had been sitting along time without being ridden then I am not surprised you have been having issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    If the RS had been sitting along time without being ridden then I am not surprised you have been having issues.
    Yes, I forgot to mention that my father did, once, say that it sat for a year in someone's garage. It even has scratches where you can see someone stacked wood and other junk on it during the time. In fact, I don't think there's a single panel that doesn't have a scratch on it.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There have been some bikes that had cracked coolant tanks, there is a screw clamp on the left side of the bike on the top of the radiator that can come loose and check the cap on the coolant bottle to make sure it is shut all the way.

Welcome!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistar556 View Post
    Hi everyone. Apologies for my first post not being an introduction post, but I have come seeking some, hopefully, quick advice.

Background. My father left me his 2009 RT SE5 with 65k miles (now 72k), number 395 off the line. He didn't get to ride it but 500 miles before he couldn't ride anymore, so its past is a mystery.
    What is not a mystery is the almost $4k I've put into it over the last two years to keep it running. The list is long.
    Multiple air sensor recalibrations.
    New air sensor (go figure).
    Rear brake sensor replaced, twice.
    Rear brakes.
    New radiator (shop accident, no cost).
    Shift shaft replacement.
    New seals (not sure which, but $600 worth of it).
    New left side hand controls (radio and shift buttons stopped working).

After getting it back from the new air sensor, less than 100 miles of riding, I get puddles of (blue) coolant in my garage. Small, softball in diameter, so not too crazy.
    I just got the call that it blew some seal on the pump and killed the pump, but I rode it a couple times and it wasn't overheating, didn't smell funny, nothing, just the puddle after the ride. I'm in Florida and it's already in the 90s down here, FYI. Normally, I don't question the mechanic, but after all the money I spent at their place, I just want to make sure this time before shoveling out another $700. I'm not denying the miles either (72k in case you missed it) so I know it just might be time.

If anyone can advise, please do. I've told them to hold and that I want to see the part myself. This is a setup in case anyone here can give me something to look for.

Thanks in advance.

tl;dr Bunch of work done to 09 RT, leaves little puddles of coolant, what do I look for on the pump to make sure that's the problem?

The pump won't "die" because of a leaky seal or two. It will just leak, however, the pump will continue to work and move coolant throughout the engine, so in that respect you're okay. The way the coolant system is built and works, your leak could be from several places and not related to the pump housing. Also, if you're leaking coolant to the outside and not inside of the engine, the repair should be much simpler and cheaper. Where it gets expensive is the inner seal on the pump. If that seal goes, then it will be costly. Otherwise, it could be something as simple as a loose band clamp, as mentioned before.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome welcome....

interesting list of work done on your dad's ryde. The RT did not appear upon the scene until 2010 which would make yours an RS yet the control changed you said had radio controls that would not have been present on the RS. I do wonder about the work done. Why and what the air sensor was changed/calibrated so many times and the brake sendor seldom goes bad, depending on which one they are talking about. If the shift shaft was replaced they should have replaced all the seals...the fact they damaged the radiator would lead to the many reasons for leaks....radiator cap not seated, radiator hose clamp loose the adjustable one, cracked resivoir tank and the water pump seal. If all the work was done at the same dealer I would try another one JMHO but the water pump should still be good and all you should need is a seal....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default $ 4000.00

JMHO ...... But I think the biggest issue is the Dealer ....... sorry .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Verdict

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

You were all pretty much spot on with your assessments. I went to the shop and asked to see where the leak was coming from, for my own sanity. The right leg side of the bike was open to a cluster of black hoses with plastic fittings between them. A mirror and a flashlight were used to get past one of the hoses and see the part of the casing the mechanic called into question. I saw a spot where it look like some liquid had pushed through the seal, some stained/burnt onto the casing, and some had dripped down to lower parts. The spot in question was directly to the right of the large engine lobe that was more chrome material than the rest of the engine (sorry, not big on engine terminology), and was facing towards the center of the bike, thus the mirror.

The mechanic also pointed out one of the larger plastic pieces inline with the hoses as being bad, and that one was obvious with a visible crack and dried coolant stains. This was the upper-most plastic piece I could see.

With a price tag of $740, I opted to first replace the plastic hose connectors and other pieces that were pointed out, and get new clamps on everything and see if it helps.

For those of you that are pointing the finger at the shop, I'm with you there. I've had my suspicions, but I'm also kind of stuck in a sense. They're the only shop for 25 miles and I don't have a trailer (yet). So, when it breaks down, I can, if I'm lucky, limp it on 25mph back roads to this shop 3 miles from my house. After seeing the consensus here with the shop as the possible problem, I will look at options to get to the next closest one.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Sinistar556; 05-30-2017 at 08:35 AM.