Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIRIUS XM RADIO

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SIRIUS XM RADIO

Well I finally pulled the plug and ordered an OYNX EZ Sat Radio Receiver with Veh Kit .... should arrive Sat. .... and will be installed Sat. ................Mike .................Edit - actually might arrive Thurs.
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-23-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're a really easy unit to set up and get running!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sirius radio is the best,don't have to look for stations as you ride.Dealer installed the module as part of the deal if not I would of done the setup your doing.Love the 60's on six,good luck with your install.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi
    I am also interest of Sirius radio. I have a 2016 RT limited. I can't find where you plug it in and where you install the receiver

I saw this one at best buy ? other option ? Thanks
    Patrick
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xm-onyx-...?skuId=1489797

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

mount the receiver in your top trunk...
    hook it into the 12 volt receptacle for power
    (CAUTION: make sure that this is only powered when the key is on...)
    mount your antenna up under the lid at the top of the box...
    Take the MP-3 player cord, and plug it into the speaker output port on the receiver. Plug your cord into BRP's stereo plug in the trunk!

XM Onyx 001.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default SIRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by ppatrick1090 View Post
    Hi
    I am also interest of Sirius radio. I have a 2016 RT limited. I can't find where you plug it in and where you install the receiver

I saw this one at best buy ? other option ? Thanks
    Patrick
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xm-onyx-...?skuId=1489797
    That's the one I got also but paid $2.00 more ....... I can plug mine in ...in my glove box because I re-moved the jack/plug from the trunk..... carefully stripped that part of the harness out ( it was a separate cable ) and drilled a hole in the side of the glove box and put the jack in there ..... not hard just took some time with the Tupperware ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default ANTENNAE

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Take the MP-3 player cord, and plug it into the speaker output port on the receiver. Plug your cord into BRP's stereo plug in the trunk!

XM Onyx 001.jpg
    .....Bob the antennae looks small enough to fit ...inside the trunk SHELL ...that's screwed onto the LID ..... that way the antennae has less plastic to go thru for the signal ...... or doesn't that matter ????? ...................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the easy part in the install the hard part is trying to get a good price from Sirius. The first 5 months maybe cheap after that prices go up and so does the time on the phone trying to get a better deal.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    the easy part in the install the hard part is trying to get a good price from Sirius. The first 5 months maybe cheap after that prices go up and so does the time on the phone trying to get a better deal.
    Or do what I do. Call to cancel and tell them its because of the price, and they always give you a deal. Works everytime.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also have the xm/sirrus unit I use the fm modulator and tune it to the radio as the output is louder then using the aux mode my advise is use the fm modulator and skip the aux mode I also just lay the ant on top of the psgr back rest seems like if you keep it inside the trunk you lose reception a lot more. I've used the aux mode in the beginning and I also ran a inline amp to see if that would help did some but not enough plus the amp was battery pwr wouldn't last long had to turn it off to charge it. j.m.o.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    I also have the xm/sirrus unit I use the fm modulator and tune it to the radio as the output is louder then using the aux mode my advise is use the fm modulator and skip the aux mode I also just lay the ant on top of the psgr back rest seems like if you keep it inside the trunk you lose reception a lot more. I've used the aux mode in the beginning and I also ran a inline amp to see if that would help did some but not enough plus the amp was battery pwr wouldn't last long had to turn it off to charge it. j.m.o.
    I have no problem with the output of mine using the aux input, It's actually louder. I mounted my antenna on the top of the rear trunk lid on the right side and only have issues if i'm in heavy tree cover. Other than that, it works great. Don't know why people mount there unit in the trunk, how do you change stations? Mine is bolted to the handlebars and powered by a power point in the speaker grille.spyder xm.jpg
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....Bob the antennae looks small enough to fit ...inside the trunk SHELL ...that's screwed onto the LID ..... that way the antennae has less plastic to go thru for the signal ...... or doesn't that matter ????? ...................Mike
    I would be more concerned about flexing the wire to it while opening and closing the trunklid...
    Oh! Since that picture was taken: I moved the antenna over to the left side; nearer the hinge, and I placed it on a small wedge so that it doesn't sit at such an angle. That DID make a difference in the reception.

Spyder Garage

jroberts, I'm with you. Why mount the unit in the trunk and not have access to it?

My Onyx receiver is on a Ram mount on the dash and the antenna is in the center of the dash. The power lead is run to the switched power for the GPS, and the output cable is run to the input in the trunk. Took a little time to run the output cable, but beyond that it's a simple install.

20160903_091529_resized.jpg

2014 RT-S Cognac
    2008 Victory Vision
    Iron Butt Assn #23572
    Victory Motorcycle Club #533

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you done any accidental "waterproof testing" for it?

Spyder Garage

I've actually been in a few downpours with mine and haven't had any issues yet. But I remove the receiver and leave the mount when I'm parked anyway. It's always covered at home so it's not exposed if it does rain. Been working that way for 2 yrs now so I've gotten my money's worth out of it. Got the onyx at walmart on clearance for $15, brand new.

At this moment i'm working on a magnetic mount so I can remove the receiver and dock to use in my truck. With the magnetic mount I can still use my center handlebar mount to attach the head unit and it still be very stable. These new high strength magnet mounts you can get from Amazon are great!
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this info!
    I figured that for the price: they wouldn't stand up as well as yours has. I'm glad that I was wrong.

Spyder Garage

I always wheel and deal with sirius,usually get 6 months for 30.00 then suspend service before that runs out since I only need it for the riding season.Leave it suspended until the following year then deal again for another 6 months.If you don't take action before the time they renew for a full year at full price so just call them a day before it runs out.

Spyder Garage

No sir. I move that receiver between my RT, my Vision, 3 cars, and a home dock. On the Vision and the RT I keep a zip lock baggie for covering it while I'm riding in the rain. When parked the receiver is removed and locked in the glove box.

That receiver has been rained on dozens (hundreds?) of times with the baggie on it. No problems.

Jim

2014 RT-S Cognac
    2008 Victory Vision
    Iron Butt Assn #23572
    Victory Motorcycle Club #533

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RTS did not come with the Garmin 660. I bought a Garmin 665 and installed it. It came with built in XM capabilities. All I needed was the XM-40 antennae and a

subscription to Sirious. I transferred it to my 2014 RTL which came with a 660. Sold the 660.

Simply plug the XM-40 ant. into the entertainment harness. (standard equipment on the RTL) This is located on the R/H side just below the gas tank. Voila! XM radio.

Radio must be on to receive XM through speakers. XM has priority. Turn off or mute XM and you get the FM radio through the speakers.

I use Sena Headset bluetooth usually to listen to either. The XM-40 ant. was about $180 MSRP. This is a super clean, built in system for those of you who have the 665. You

cannot do this with the 660. It has no XM capabilities. You use the normal radio controls on the left handle bar that you use for your FM radio.

Been using XM radio on all my motorcycles and cars since it's inception. Always great reception in mountains and remote areas. Not so the FM, plus hundreds of station

choices. The 665 also has WX, Radar, Traffic warnings and auto reroutes for construction or accidents and delays ahead. I have it and it is a couple dollars more a month.

Go Mike!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Garmin 665, and an XM 40 antenna: CHECK!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought the 665 was somehow different than the 660 harness and you could not get XM without changing to the 665 harness?? I know the 660 and 665 will work in the same cradle .

Spyder Garage

WHY???
    I have mine receptacle powered all the time and never a problem over the last 18 months.

AJ

XM Onyx 001.jpg

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I thought the 665 was somehow different than the 660 harness and you could not get XM without changing to the 665 harness?? I know the 660 and 665 will work in the same cradle .
    Cradle will work for 660 or 665 but you must change the cradle head or a couple wires inside. Check previous posts on this subject with the search engine.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    WHY???
    I have mine receptacle powered all the time and never a problem over the last 18 months.

AJ
    Because since I am SOOOOO... obsessive-compulsive: I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!
    (I do change that port over to being powered all of the time; when it's time to plug in the Battery Tender! )

Spyder Garage

Default Did Mine this way.

XM Onyx 001.jpg
    Did mine this way. Works Great. I also just ordered a bluetooth transmitter to connect to my headset. Will let all know how this works out. Speaker sound works well, but not quite loud enough with wind noise using the sport windshield on the RTS.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!