Spyder Garage

Smile Doing Rear brake pad replacement - need to drop the wheel?

Do you have to drop the rear weel to replace the brake pads on a 2011 RS SE5. I can replace the pads but am concerned about taking the weel either off or moving it out of the way so caliper will clear the rim. Are OEM pads better than EBC pads. EBC offers more than one grade of pad and Can Am offers one. Does anyone know what the OEM pads are made of.

Thanks
    JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

no you don't need to remove the rear wheel to change the pads. just drop the caliper. be carefull of other things that are still attached to the caliper..

Spyder Garage

We have installed the EBC Fully Sintered pads that BajaRon sells on a number of bikes and have been pretty pleased with them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR BRAKES

Quote Originally Posted by J Tabor View Post
    Do you have to drop the rear weel to replace the brake pads on a 2011 RS SE5. I can replace the pads but am concerned about taking the weel either off or moving it out of the way so caliper will clear the rim. Are OEM pads better than EBC pads. EBC offers more than one grade of pad and Can Am offers one. Does anyone know what the OEM pads are made of.

Thanks
    JT
    No rear wheels have to be re-moved on ANY Spyders, just the Brake assemblies ...... be careful of the sensor ....... watch a VIDEO first ( there are a few out there ) the caliper drops down out of the way ....... EBC pads are the best, get them from BAJARON - Don't experiment with PAD compounds, unless you have lots and lots of money ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Leave the wheel in place...
    If you want (or need) more elbow room: you could pop the muffler off...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

The EBC pads are better than the stock ones as long as you seat them in according to the instructions after installation. As stated watch the sensor connections, clips and spacers when removing and re-installing the caliper. If you get any warnings like brake failure, abs, etc recheck all the connections....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    No rear wheels have to be re-moved on ANY Spyders, just the Brake assemblies ...... be careful of the sensor ....... watch a VIDEO first ( there are a few out there ) the caliper drops down out of the way ....... EBC pads are the best, get them from BAJARON - Don't experiment with PAD compounds, unless you have lots and lots of money ..... Mike
    +1....I purchased BajaRon EBC pads & installed in August 2015....easy install and great brakes.....again read instructions on how to break them in. As Mike said, be careful with the attached parts of the rear brake caliper especially the speed sensor (if you remove this, be sure to put the shims correctly back in place).
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Watch video # 10

Spyder Garage

You Tube is your friend,watch the videos.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Caliper

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    +1....I purchased BajaRon EBC pads & installed in August 2015....easy install and great brakes.....again read instructions on how to break them in. As Mike said, be careful with the attached parts of the rear brake caliper especially the speed sensor (if you remove this, be sure to put the shims correctly back in place).

2014 Has a screw in rear Caliper. FACING the two holes in the piston, do you turn clockwise or counter clockwise? Getting ready to change pads and two friends tell me two different answers. I think the problem may be someone does not know how to tell clockwise from counter clockwise. Thank you in advance.

Spyder Garage

Default rear brake pad replacment

Quote Originally Posted by IceCube View Post
    2014 Has a screw in rear Caliper. FACING the two holes in the piston, do you turn clockwise or counter clockwise? Getting ready to change pads and two friends tell me two different answers. I think the problem may be someone does not know how to tell clockwise from counter clockwise. Thank you in advance.
    Counterclockwise will retract(reduce) the Caliper piston. This will give you the room you need to get new pads installed.

If you have added brake fluid since you purchased then it is wise to remove some to give yourself headroom for the returning fluid when calipers are reduced. Be careful with the piston seal and turn all the way in until you cannot turn the caliper to the left any further.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default rear break video

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Watch video # 10
    I have been looking for a video to replace rear breaks on my 2011 RSS. Can you tell me where to find one? I found one on front breaks but not the rear.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Spyder Garage

On a 2017 RT-S you turn the piston clockwise (facing it) to retract it .

Turning it counterclockwise will cause you lots of grief... ask me how I know :-)

Turn it clockwise to retract it.

Spyder Garage

How do you squeeze in the rear cylinder on the rear brake caliper on 2012 RT spyder? There is black gizmo circle item on the caliber, do you use a c clamp and put on end on the nut of black gizmo, which I think is for the electronic brake, I cannot find video on changing pads on 2012 Can Am Rt spyder. Any help would be grealty appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Knipper is all set. We spoke on the phone. He is good. I always turn the piston on Brembos clockwise to screw the piston in.
    Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Knipper is all set. We spoke on the phone. He is good. I always turn the piston on Brembos clockwise to screw the piston in.
    Joe
    I am a bit confused here Joe. Knipper stated that he had a 2012 RT Spyder which would have the Chinese caliper system and not the Brembo's. Was he off on his model year?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hi did you have to remove parkbrake spring and cover to get pad bolts removed??