Spyder Garage

Default possible clutch issues?

went to Lexington motorsports to have 2 new tires put on and get a laser alignment done,also got bike serviced.everything went well.tech took bike out for test ride came back and said clutch was not working properly in the lower rpm range.told me it needed to be adjusted or replaced with the newer style.worked fine for me,i have a 2010 rt-s se-5 with 9800 miles.just wondering if this is something to be concerned about,i rode today and see no problem.thanks for your input.by the way,$100.00 an hour labor rate.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

From the mileage and model it would be strange the clutch would be going unless it has been run at very low rpm's. Those clutches need to be above 3,400 rpm to be fully engaged. Running under that would wear the clutch out prematurely. If the clutch were bad you would notice the rpm get higher but the spyder does not go faster. If burnt you would smell it. If it is ryding the same as always for you keep on going. If in doubt have some one else check it out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if the tech knows that he shouldn't be shifting until at least 4000 rpm?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My B.S. meter is starting to quiver... could this technician be just trying to sell and expensive clutch replacement, to the owner of a bike with eight riding seasons on it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree it sounds a little fishy. If you didn't notice anything then I would just keep riding it as you have been. If it was starting to fail, I think you will notice. Perhaps as suggested by Ann, he was shifting at too low an RPM for your setup. Maybe he is more used to the newer 1330's and was shifting it too soon. He did say he noticed it at lower RPM.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLUTCHE WEAR

Somebody correct this info if wrong ..... A dealer can provide a printout of the shift History of the transmission ??? ... if so it would be interesting to know if it was abused or shifted improperly...... jmho .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-21-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default what part indiana !

Quote Originally Posted by RKS-RTS-10 View Post
    went to Lexington motorsports to have 2 new tires put on and get a laser alignment done,also got bike serviced.everything went well.tech took bike out for test ride came back and said clutch was not working properly in the lower rpm range.told me it needed to be adjusted or replaced with the newer style.worked fine for me,i have a 2010 rt-s se-5 with 9800 miles.just wondering if this is something to be concerned about,i rode today and see no problem.thanks for your input.by the way,$100.00 an hour labor rate.
    wondering what part of Indiana , must be close enough too ride too Lexington ? or trailer it ..... I would ride it until it really showed some sort of different shifting pattern , but also in the mean time ---- start saving money in case { clark county Indiana here }

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Somebody correct this info if wrong ..... A dealer can provide a printout of the shift History of the transmission ??? ... if so it would be interesting to know if was abused ...... jmho .... Mike
    Yes they can. They've done it on mine.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Somebody correct this info if wrong ..... A dealer can provide a printout of the shift History of the transmission ??? ... if so it would be interesting to know if it was abused or shifted improperly...... jmho .... Mike
    x2 The printout will verify the rpm shifting history of the vehicle. I have never been provided with one by my dealer, but Joe and Ann showed me the information when they did our alignments.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-22-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    wondering what part of Indiana , must be close enough too ride too Lexington ? or trailer it ..... I would ride it until it really showed some sort of different shifting pattern , but also in the mean time ---- start saving money in case { clark county Indiana here }
    hey youngers I'm from west Harrison,indiana Dearborn county,rode bike to Lexington and back,about 110 miles one way.never really noticed anything.thanks randy