Spyder Garage

Default Wireing issue help needed

I installed a set of LED fogs and tested them on the bench. I then mounted them on the front bumper the Revco. I grounded the black to the battery then ran the hot to a switch then I grounded the switch back at the battery. Don't work off of the battery but will work when I install the test power from my 12v converter. I am lost .should I ground individually .I am about to put it on the trailer and let the shop finish the wire install. I would rather do this myself ....

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If each light has 2 wires one hot and one ground, then you should ground each light to the frame of the bike
    and the other wire to the switch and on the switch if it is an OFF & ON switch run the other side to power + on the battery. That should do it, it is always a good idea to have a 12 Volt test light handy so you can check just like Cuznjohn said
    to see if it is wired right

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    I installed a set of LED fogs and tested them on the bench. I then mounted them on the front bumper the Revco. I grounded the black to the battery then ran the hot to a switch then I grounded the switch back at the battery. Don't work off of the battery but will work when I install the test power from my 12v converter. I am lost .should I ground individually .I am about to put it on the trailer and let the shop finish the wire install. I would rather do this myself ....
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 05-20-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

first you don't ground the switch. the switch brakes the red or positive 12 volt line. so if the lights are already grounded, then each light gets a red hot leg tied together then to one side of the switch, then the other side of the switch goes to a hot 12 volt source. i would suggest you put a inline fuse in the 12 volt line to protect everything.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default wireing

The hot has a inline fuse,. the switch has three tabs coming out the back . the lights still don't work when I run it direct to the battery of the Rt.

Spyder Garage

Default wireing 101

any guys in Nj that want to help .stop by so I can ride and have a beer afterwards......

Spyder Garage

The hot has a inline fuse,. the switch has three tabs coming out the back . the lights still don't work when I run it direct to the battery of the Rt.
    You only need two of the three wires. Read what Cuznjohn and Motorcycle Dave said again, that's exactly what you need to do.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

^^ Wot 'e says!! But do remember that LED's are one of the few electrical light type things that will only work with the 'power flow' running thru them in one & only one direction!!

Sooo, once you think you've got the wiring right, if they still don't work, the first thing to do is to swap the power & ground leads on the LED's to the opposite sides - do it at the final connection to the LED's, cos they really don't care if you connect them 'backwards'; there's no need for 'polarity protection', but they will ONLY work with the + on the correct side & the - on the other! Get these connections backwards & even if everything else is exactly right, your LED's just ain't gonna work!!

Spyder Garage

Good call Peter, that's very important.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Reading this again today,

You posted you ran the black wire to battery ground. The second switched wire you also say you grounded to the battery. Based on those words, did you accidentally connect both LED wires to the same battery terminal? If so it will not work.