Thread: jacking point

Spyder Garage

Default jacking point

OK, all you who have replaced your front tires yourself, I'd like your advice. My 2014 RT-SE6 has 23,000 on my Kenda fronts, so it's time to replace them. The plan is to take the old wheels and tires into my local tire dealer where he'll remove the old and install the new (going with Khumo Solus KH16 175/55/15). The thing is, I don't know where to position the two-rail jack I have to safely raise the trike in order to remove the front wheels. Is there a specific jacking point, or am I OK sliding the rails under from the side at about the center of mass?
    Jake

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I jack mine from the side directly on the main frame rail under the center of the bike. just be sure you don't jack against the premuffler/cat converter.

Spyder Garage

Try this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Default jacking point

Thanks guys, and nice touch with the pics, that'll help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    Try this.
    Is that the Craftsman jack? If so how do you like it? I think I have been looking at that one.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Recently at the Pittbull Spyderfest in Springfield, I had a couple of lights installed so spent some time on the floor of the hall watching the goings on. I noted the folks from Spyderpops had the Craftsman jack and they simply ran it in from the front and heaved it up. Didn't seem to affect anything. On that recommendation, I bought the aluminum ATV jack sold by Craftsman, just shy of 2 bills (we have 11% sales tax). And I've lifted the bike with no ill effect. I got down and looked across under the middle. My cat delete pipe does hang a bit lower than the frame. Don't want to mess that alignment up. But, maybe that's just MY bike. Maybe take a really good look at what's hangin' and do what's best for you. I'm just sayin', I really like the jack. I saw a simUlar jack at Harbor Freight where cheap is King. Didn't like the finish. And I trust Sears more. Just because something 'looks' the same.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramg66 View Post
    Is that the Craftsman jack? If so how do you like it? I think I have been looking at that one.
    I really like it. I struggled with a regular floor jack for a while when I first got the spyder. I should have gotten the Craftsman right away.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    My cat delete pipe does hang a bit lower than the frame. Don't want to mess that alignment up. But, maybe that's just MY bike. Maybe take a really good look at what's hangin' and do what's best for you.
    Be vey careful, I personally wouldn't lift from the frunk. At the very least get under the crossmember where the bottom of the frunk bolts in. But with an ATV/Cycle jack I would lift from the center frame if possible.

Eyes can be deceiving, when I looked under I said the same thing, the exhaust pipe hangs below the frame. So I took a short piece of 2x4 to simulate the rail on the jack and lo and behold the pipe is about an 1/8" higher than the frame so jack would be fine. It was an optical illusion of sorts. You may want to check yours and ensure its below.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    Try this.
    Thanks for the pics.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oop's

If you jack your spyder up under the center of the frame and then remove the two front wheels and tires you will quickly change the center of gravity.

Spyder Garage

I have the Harbor Freight jack and it works good for me when lifting the entire bike. When I needed to just lift just the front tires, I used my regular old 2 ton floor jack under the outside of the A arms. Did one wheel at a time and 2 wheels stayed on the ground for stability. Easy and uncomplicated.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi