Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Questions before I would buy.

I demoed a Spyder last September at my dealer while he was changing tires on my Yamaha Roadliner. I have been considering the Spyder as my next ride ever since that demo ride. However, in reading posts on the forums it's become apparent that the Spyder has had some teething problems in it's first year of production. Mostly the SE5's, but there are some SM5's out there having a few too. My question is this: Has there been any improvements in the 2009 models which address the first year problems? Since I'm used to clutches and shifting, I would probably lean towards an SM5 anyhow, so the SE isn't even being considered by me. I would really like to give the Spyder a home in my garage but the problems I read about make me hesitant to do so. I would greatly appreciate your help here.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default YES

Glad your on here, I'm 57 never had a bike. always wanted 1. I seen my 1st last Aug. in a Herman Nebr, she was there visiting her sister from Des Moines. we talked a few min. never had a dealer in Nebraska yet. So I started to look at ebay.Found a nice one in Sioux City. and bought it home Sept 21st. I was still scared at 1st. But the more I rode it in the neighbor hood, The more I like it. Its a 08 PE SM5. I have never had a problem with it. it shifts very easy and all the power you want. and you wont belive how many people talk to you and look at the bike, I'm hopping to go to STURGIS this year WELCOME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for Reply

I worked in a factory for over 33 years, so I can understand a few lemons will get out with the apples & oranges. It's also not uncommon for a first year vehicle to have "teething" problems getting the bugs out. I'm glad you didn't have any problems and I am pretty sure (hopefully) that the majority of Spyder owners are experiencing trouble-free ownership. I think I just need positive feedback to get me over the hesitancy. The safety advantages over a conventional motorcycle would be well worth it. P.S. I'm 56 and on my 15th bike since 1970. I did build a trike back in 1979-80, never again!!
    Last edited by reinie; 04-26-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: adding text

Spyder Garage

Default the nature of online forums

Reinie, if you watch forums for different products, you will see a lot of negatives - in the Spyder's case, I think all the positives are out riding and don't have the time to post.

Also, if your only issue is small, it becomes THE issue and will get you grumbling. Personally, mine is the accuracy of MY fuel gauge.
    Some riders do have real issues, but I have the feeling that the Spyder is well above average in the areas of quality, design and performance. Really, only BRP knows how these characteristics and reliability are playing out - and it will take years for even them to know.

For me (40 years of motorcycles & 1 month @ 1,200 miles on my Spyder), the bottomline is; "No regrets!".

One other thing - I shared your assumption on the enhanced safety factor. After riding for a while now; Yes, at slow speeds, but overall I think it averages out to be the same. For the 1st time rider, the stability is a real plus - no spills, drops and falls. It can give you a real edge to learn and deal with all the other hazards you encounter as a rider.
    But as I continue to progress, I find the issues of high torque and RPMs + gravel, water, snow and ice present control challenges that I have never felt on a motorcycle.

What really is different to me is the Spyder's accessibility, ease-of-use and how it enables riding. I find I stop a lot more and enjoy places along the way - things like quickly getting off and parking are so simplified and make it a joy to "stop and smell the roses" along the road.

Spyders are not for everyone, thank God. Take a few more test drives and make up your own mind. Get the extended warranty if you are nervous about the quality issues. Then if you buy one be prepared to be surprised in the best ways possible at what this machine can do.

Tom
    (an SE5 owner who loves the assisted shifting - though I still sometimes miss a clutch - but would not trade)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank you Tom

I currently ride a 2007 Yamaha Roadliner and currently visit their forum frequently. Yes indeed, there are a lot of negative posts out there, either regading their own product complaints or bashing somebody else's. I used to own a Victory before that and their forum wasn't any different. What I'm really trying to delve into is satisfaction, how happy are the majority of Spyder owners with their product and if there are any issues that might prevent me from purchasing one myself. The safety issue was driven home just yesterday when I performed a downshift, slowing for a turn and my rear tire momentarily broke loose, skidding out from under me. I quickly pulled in the clutch and regained traction to complete the turn, but my heart definitely sped up instantaniously. The Spyder basically cannot skid out from under like that. I was lucky this time and maybe won't be the next and that's why I'm interested in the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

reinie - I have a SM% and i have had to have some work done to it after a major control module failure. But would that deter me from buying another NO!! I would get another one in a heartbeat. This is a well designed and reliable machine. I have throughly enjoyed this roadster. I think what is important is the need for a great dealer and service department and get thr B.E.S.T. warranty.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reinie View Post
    The safety issue was driven home just yesterday when I performed a downshift, slowing for a turn and my rear tire momentarily broke loose, skidding out from under me. I quickly pulled in the clutch and regained traction to complete the turn, but my heart definitely sped up instantaniously. The Spyder basically cannot skid out from under like that. I was lucky this time and maybe won't be the next and that's why I'm interested in the Spyder.
    Reinie, I think we both can agree that at our ages, those Adrenalin rushes are something we can do without! (but we still ride - go figure)
    Yesterday when I was riding out in the country, I missed a turn and pulled off into a driveway off the road. The entrance to the driveway ( really a dirt road - the house could not even be seen - we are talking country here ) dropped a couple of feet and had a lot of gravel and loose rocks in it. A quick look - no traffic - turn the bars a little to get to the best spot to get on the pavement, about 20 degres - give it a little gas - and . . . . Well, the Spyder rear wheel started shooting gravel and the bike did two ( 2! ) 360s in place with me in the exact center.
    It only took an instant for my brain to realize that while I was not doing what I had planned to do - that everything actually seemed like it was going to be OK. As I came around the 2nd time, I casually noted there was still no traffic and straightened the wheels toward the approach back to the pavement. All at once the Spyder grabbed the dirt and we shot up through the cloud of dust up onto the road. Given a sudden rev noise from the engine - we might have even been airborne for a second. It must have looked like a scene from a Die Hard movie, without the guns.
    If I had been on my bike, I would have been down - and I think the same thing would have happened with the bike. I could have stopped the 1st spin by cutting the throttle, but strangely enough, I felt in control. No traffic, nothing near by, no people or property to damage with flying rock. The Spyder's three wheel advantage gave me the time and support to figure out to straighten the bar/wheels to go where I wanted to go.
    I learned this nifty little trick in a perfect place, but in some other location and condition . . . the end could have been entirely different.
    So, yes - the built in stability combined with your years of riding experience will give you a real edge. But it always pays to remember that we are not Bruce Willis ( well, I know I am not ) and in the real world, sequels are not always guaranteed.
    Tom
    ( still keeping the shiny-side up )

Spyder Garage

If you are a shifter, SM5 is the way to go. Less complicated and less problems.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

I have 13 months and 13,000 miles with my SM5 and I'm completely happy with it. No major issues, one or two minor issues that never left me stranded and lots of enjoyable rides. Plus, I've found that (borrowing from the old Honda ad) "You meet the nicest people on a Spyder".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice to hear some positive feedbacks, I'm searching for a low miles SM5 myself

Spyder Garage

I have an SM5 and too busy riding to complain - only thing that went is the slip joint gaskets but dealer replaced them under warrenty. I love my ! Oh yeah, had a sticky parking break but he fixed that too at no cost to me.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks All

I'm glad to be getting some positive feedback. At 56 and older I won't be wanting a big cruiser or touring bike going down anymore, besides the chance of getting hurt and healing slower than a young guy puts me in a position to want a Spyder instead of a bike. Others may not understand my decision, but I'll stand by it. I'll just have to go to my dealer and see what kind of money it will take to make the switch. The yellow would be eyecatching but I am partial to red. Thanks to all.

Spyder Garage

I'm glad to be getting some positive feedback. At 56 and older I won't be wanting a big cruiser or touring bike going down anymore, besides the chance of getting hurt and healing slower than a young guy puts me in a position to want a Spyder instead of a bike. Others may not understand my decision, but I'll stand by it. I'll just have to go to my dealer and see what kind of money it will take to make the switch. The yellow would be eyecatching but I am partial to red. Thanks to all.

I'm 58. I understand completely. I know my reflexes and overall athleticism is not what it was when I was younger. Wrestling a bike just wore me out.

I was also partial to the red. Then I found a good deal on a used yellow one. I'm very happy with my decision.

For what it's worth, I think you are doing the smart thing. You are here asking questions and doing research. I think you'll be very happy if you take the plunge and get one.
    Marilyn

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Researching nearly done.

I think learning about a new vehicle before purchasing has become a necessity considering the cost these days. The idea of going back into debt to pay for it is daunting enough, but the joy of riding will outweigh that. It has been that way with every new vehicle for me, particularly bikes. The idea of one that can't be dropped is rapidly gaining priority in my own scheme of things. I'll see if my dealer will let me have another demo ride soon.

Spyder Garage

We two have enjoyed out Spyder and have had no trouble with it - going in for 6000 mile check up this week sometime - only had since late late August. Have spent many hours on the road and love it and never get bored with it. Went to Leesburg, Fl Bike fest this weekend and while we (we were with a group of 5 spyders) just pulled in and parked everyone else was grunting and groaning and trying to back there bikes into parking places. Some were still fooling around while we were walking off and getting ready to have some fun.

Spyder Garage

The many postings I have read on this Forum show both the good and the bad of the Spyder, and that's as it should be. When we first started looking at the Spyder, we wanted the SE5 because my wife wanted to learn how to drive it in case something happened to me while we were on a ride. Needless to say, what we read about the SE5 wasn't very encouraging. Having been a motorcycle rider for over 40 years, I had heard many riders talk bad about any make of motorcycle. I have also felt that many of the problems with motorcycles are caused by the riders more than the product manufacturer itself. With that in mind, we bought the SE5. We now have 8000 miles on it since 11-18-08 and have had no serious issues with it. We had the GPS and spring changed and the parking brake modified. I have never been an adrenaline addict. We just enjoy riding...nature, smells, flowers, mountains, valleys...you get the picture. We are planning a trip from California to Nova Scotia, returning through Washington, this July. I have all the confidence in the world that our Spyder will come through with shining colors.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default The reverse gear would be great!

I had a Royal star Venture back in 03-04 and I can attest it was almost impossible to back or manuever it. My Roadliner is nearly 100# lighter but still no lightweight to leg paddle around. I got a small taste of the Spyder last fall on the demo ride, and I think I want a refresher course. I'm sure once I am used to it everything will be just fine. The reverse plus all the other features will be welcome I'm sure.

Spyder Garage

I had a Royal star Venture back in 03-04 and I can attest it was almost impossible to back or manuever it. My Roadliner is nearly 100# lighter but still no lightweight to leg paddle around. I got a small taste of the Spyder last fall on the demo ride, and I think I want a refresher course. I'm sure once I am used to it everything will be just fine. The reverse plus all the other features will be welcome I'm sure.
    We had a Royal Star Venture, 02-04, and I can attest to what you said. I weight 140 pounds on a good day, so it outweighed me by almost 800 pounds. Backing up on any slant was impossible! So we got a RoadStar, then a Nomad, a bit lighter, but still heavy. Then along came the Spyder and all is well!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default Look at this post reinie

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Mature Rider

I have only had my Spyder a little over a month, but love everything, but the so called windshield. I am checking out different ones on here. It appears I have been riding a little longer then some. I had/still have a ST1100. I made a 200 mile trip today in a strong wind and was very glad, I did not have the ST.

I have been riding since I was about 12, If Wizzer, Cushman, Hummers and flathead Hogs count. Lost track of other brands. By the way, I was born in Nov of 1935

Old Man Zues

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I have only had my Spyder a little over a month, but love everything, but the so called windshield. I am checking out different ones on here. It appears I have been riding a little longer then some. I had/still have a ST1100. I made a 200 mile trip today in a strong wind and was very glad, I did not have the ST.

I have been riding since I was about 12, If Wizzer, Cushman, Hummers and flathead Hogs count. Lost track of other brands. By the way, I was born in Nov of 1935

Old Man Zues
    Those all count...at least they did for me. Don't forget the flathead Indian Chief, the Mustang, or the Simplex. So nice to have another on here with more years at this than me. Maybe they won't make fun of me any more. Aw, who am I kidding, they'll make fun of me anyway. Welcome to our little band of lunatics!
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Default This is the ONE~!

No vehicle ever mass produced is without issues.

You'll find that a forum like this puts the Hubble Telescope on any issue. So a speck looks like a boulder and a rock looks like a planet.

Not that there have not been some legitimate issues (like my No PS for instance). But when taken with the Big Picture, it's not a big deal for all but a very few.

My advise....Get your Spyder, Ride your Spyder, and you will Love your Spyder.

There are plenty of machines out there that have been in production much longer than the Spyder with a lot more issues.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-28-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks all, Just went to dealer yesterday.

I had some group rides & events to post on my dealer's bulletin board, so I rode the Roadliner over (only 15 miles away). Right inside the door sat three new Spyders (one silver, one black, and a red one) and I immediately gravitated to the red one and sat on it before getting the postings put up. I talked to the finance manager and sales manager and will be getting another demo soon. The biggest issue for me will be what's the difference I will owe and how large will the payments be. But as for the Spyder itself, I think you guys have me pretty well sold on it. Thanks to all of you.

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post

Old Man Zues
    Wife and I ---- Sep and Dec '35
    Just back from a 500 mile weekend ride... Spyder was one awesome machine. Also had a chance to meet some of the Spyder Road Crew...

Get it - you'll love it...

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Don!

Just got the paper, one of my kid brother's high school classmates was killed on his Harley this past weekend. Kind of makes me want the Spyder even more, maybe I'd last longer out there on one. Who knows? At age 56 I'm not ready to quit riding yet, not by a longshot. Whenever this weather straightens out I'll get back to my dealer to see what I can do. Thanks for your help. P.S. That Half-Fast remark kind of fits me too!!
    Last edited by reinie; 04-28-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Adding text