Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool Canada info, please

Hey, all --

Wife and I will be leaving NC next Thursday for Valcourt. Booked at Grand Times Hotel, Sherbrooke. We're thinking about doing it up right and taking the Trans Canada Highway all the way west thru the Canadian Rockies to Washington state. I have the route pretty well mapped out in 250 - 300 mile segments -- that's about how far we care to ride the '15 RT Limited and the new F3L pulling a trailer. I'm unsure that the distances between fuel stations is compatible with the 1330's range, especially in the more remote parts of Canada. Also have some concerns about motel/hotel availability due to Summer tourism. Any hints, advice or tips are greatly welcome.

Also, on separate topic. I've been in contact with the Canadian Mounted Police re: pistols and long guns at the border. The internet is ripe with misinformation. Pistols of any kind are a strict no-no. There are 4 reasons pistols may be imported. Personal protection is NOT on the list. Long guns are viewed more permissively. But regs vary province to province. Gotta know where you are going to know what you can do. Since I am an avid fan of 2d Amendment rights, the inability to defend wife and self while traveling in the 21st Century is bothersome. But it is what it is...

Thanks again...

Punji

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Punji,
    Regarding our Second Amendment rights:
    You gotta play by their rules, when you're in their sandbox...
    The only other advice that I've got, is just a reminder that if you order bacon with your breakfast: it won't be what you think it is!
    But it's still pretty darn good anyway!
    Have a fun and safe trip!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by punji View Post
    Hey, all --

Wife and I will be leaving NC next Thursday for Valcourt. Booked at Grand Times Hotel, Sherbrooke. We're thinking about doing it up right and taking the Trans Canada Highway all the way west thru the Canadian Rockies to Washington state. I have the route pretty well mapped out in 250 - 300 mile segments -- that's about how far we care to ride the '15 RT Limited and the new F3L pulling a trailer. I'm unsure that the distances between fuel stations is compatible with the 1330's range, especially in the more remote parts of Canada. Also have some concerns about motel/hotel availability due to Summer tourism. Any hints, advice or tips are greatly welcome.

Also, on separate topic. I've been in contact with the Canadian Mounted Police re: pistols and long guns at the border. The internet is ripe with misinformation. Pistols of any kind are a strict no-no. There are 4 reasons pistols may be imported. Personal protection is NOT on the list. Long guns are viewed more permissively. But regs vary province to province. Gotta know where you are going to know what you can do. Since I am an avid fan of 2d Amendment rights, the inability to defend wife and self while traveling in the 21st Century is bothersome. But it is what it is...

Thanks again...

Punji
    Gas should not be a problem on the Trans Canada. Even when we got to the Alaska Highway--the biggest gap was a little over 100 miles between stations.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hey, all --

Thanks again...

Punji
    I hope you have a good trip.

Accommodation could be a problem. Best strategy would be to call ahead in the morning and book for that night. Driving around looking for a place when you're tired will just suck.

Gas should not be a big problem if you are mostly sticking to the Trans Canada. If you have a smartphone. Get the gas buddy app.

Leave the guns at home. Just easier. That goes for some types of knives, mace or bear spray.
    Don't bring food across the border. It may be more of a hassle than it's worth. For god sakes don't try and bring bring citrus fruit back into the US. That plus an attitude will bring out the swat team.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Punji,
    The only other advice that I've got, is just a reminder that if you order bacon with your breakfast: it won't be what you think it is!
    Sorry Bob but our bacon is the same as yours. We don't have Canadian Bacon in Canada. That's a US thing. If you do want Canadian bacon you would have to ask for back bacon. Not very common and likely they will not have it. More likely have peameal bacon. That's back bacon rolled in cornmeal.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't worry

Hey, all --

Thanks again...

Punji
    You're going to Canada, not Chicago!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Punji,
    Back bacon is very disappointing compared to the belly bacon we all love so much!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Bacon vs. Guns.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you have criminal convictions & they ask you at the border, be honest. You may or may not be refused entry.

If you have any DUIs & you are crossing the border while driving/riding you will more than likely be refused entry.

We are not "holier than thou" but have enough of our own.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wouldn't Canadian Bacon in Canada just be called bacon? Kind of like a Swiss Army knife in Switzerland is just a knife.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default And

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Wouldn't Canadian Bacon in Canada just be called bacon? Kind of like a Swiss Army knife in Switzerland is just a knife.
    In China, Chinese food is just called food!

Spyder Garage

Hey, all --

Thanks again...

Punji
    Don't worry about your guns, we are very nice people and 99% of us would be shocked to see a hand gun. I have driven from one side of Canada to the other, If you are travelling the trans Canada you should not have a problem with gas, motels until you get west of Manitoba. Watch the distance between towns as not much gas between them. Though if you run low I have found the farmer are usually nice enough to spot you gas.

You will see some nice landscape on the way and some long straight roads in others. Usually takes three days to go through Ontario and you will find lots of trucks on the road as well

Enjoy, you will have fun and should not feel unsafe anywhere, unless you are hanging out a biker bars

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Bacon vs. Guns.

Bacon, Guns, and Coffee. My three favorite things.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Roads and weather

We left Vancouver Island yesterday we have been on CA1, CA5, and CA16 we are currently overnighting in Edson west of
    Edmonton. We have seen sun, rain, slush, and snow thru the Canadian Rockies. Average temperature is 50 plus.
    So come on up to sunny at times Canada. But we have seen deer, moose, mountain sheep (on the road in Jasper national park) plus one black bear all in 2 days. So we are enjoying the trip to Valcort. Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

Have you encountered our national bird - the mosquito. Beware of them as they will hunt you down like vampires. Enjoy the trip across the prairies when you hit Richer, Manitoba you will enter in some of the nicest eastern parts of Canada. Enjoy. Seriously do not worry about gasoline or food as there are tons of gas stations and restaurants along the way. I would however try and book a room a couple days in advance at a minimum. Don't bring any rifles and guns or knives or any drugs. You will not need any sort of protection in this country. It is very safe but just keep your self on the road and out of trouble.
    Ride it like you stole it!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since I am an avid fan of 2d Amendment rights, the inability to defend wife and self while traveling in the 21st Century is bothersome. But it is what it is...

Thanks again...

Punji
    2nd Amendment does not apply to Canada.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default ??

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    If you have criminal convictions & they ask you at the border, be honest. You may or may not be refused entry.

If you have any DUIs & you are crossing the border while driving/riding you will more than likely be refused entry.

We are not "holier than thou" but have enough of our own.
    1st we know someone who had DUI in the past. They had found help and have been alcohol free for over 10 years. Are you saying this person, who spends a lot of timing helping and attending church, would be denied a trip to Canada?

2nd I find it odd that you government may or may not refused entry if you're a murderer or sexual predator but will more than likely be refused if you made a stupid choice as a twenty something kid.

Wife and I don't have any of these problems but with 3000 spyders coming someone is bound to. Is there any agency these people can contact to seek info?
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    Bacon, Guns, and Coffee. My three favorite things.
    May I add a fourth item to that list?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have a DUI you will be denied entry into Canada. However there are ways around this and they involve paying a fee for entry. One option is to pay a fee at the time of crossing. Last time I was with a person who did this (maybe 10 years ago) the fee was $250 USD for the day. This person then hired a lawyer which basically filled out some paperwork and paid a fee to wipe the DUI from their record for the purposes of crossing into Canada. Basically, if you pay the fine in some shape or form you are good to go........See American and Canadian governments really aren't that different. It just comes down to money

Note: This is driving across the border only. You can fly into Canada all you like with a DUI.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    1st we know someone who had DUI in the past. They had found help and have been alcohol free for over 10 years. Are you saying this person, who spends a lot of timing helping and attending church, would be denied a trip to Canada?

2nd I find it odd that you government may or may not refused entry if you're a murderer or sexual predator but will more than likely be refused if you made a stupid choice as a twenty something kid.

Wife and I don't have any of these problems but with 3000 spyders coming someone is bound to. Is there any agency these people can contact to seek info?

It entirely depends on the border guard you end up with & your behaviour when speaking to him/her as to whether your previous criminal history is discussed. They have access to all your convictions. Chances are all will be ok, but you don't want to travel a very long way to end up being turned around.

The OP did ask & I'm telling.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Be careful up there in Canada. I hear the U.S. is declaring war with Canada soon. Canadian Bacon?....

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=WellsboroSpyder;1259555]1st we know someone who had DUI in the past. They had found help and have been alcohol free for over 10 years. Are you saying this person, who spends a lot of timing helping and attending church, would be denied a trip to Canada? /QUOTE]

Sorry Guys, same thing happens when trying to get into the states. A friend of mine had a DUI in the 70's. He has a pardon. And you guys still won't let him in......

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default Travel in Canada

Hey, all --

Wife and I will be leaving NC next Thursday for Valcourt. Booked at Grand Times Hotel, Sherbrooke. We're thinking about doing it up right and taking the Trans Canada Highway all the way west thru the Canadian Rockies to Washington state. I have the route pretty well mapped out in 250 - 300 mile segments -- that's about how far we care to ride the '15 RT Limited and the new F3L pulling a trailer. I'm unsure that the distances between fuel stations is compatible with the 1330's range, especially in the more remote parts of Canada. Also have some concerns about motel/hotel availability due to Summer tourism. Any hints, advice or tips are greatly welcome. Also, on separate topic. I've been in contact with the Canadian Mounted Police re: pistols and long guns at the border. The internet is ripe with misinformation. Pistols of any kind are a strict no-no. There are 4 reasons pistols may be imported. Personal protection is NOT on the list. Long guns are viewed more permissively. But regs vary province to province. Gotta know where you are going to know what you can do. Since I am an avid fan of 2d Amendment rights, the inability to defend wife and self while traveling in the 21st Century is bothersome. But it is what it is... Thanks again...
    Punji
    Leave your guns at home. I'm not going to open up a can of worms about guns on this forum. Leave them at home. Thank you.

Fuel along the Trans Canada Highway. You'll have no issues. Look at the locations where you'll be traveling and pre-plan fuel stops along the way. The only possible location where you need to really pre-plan is between Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay, overt the north shore of Lake Superior. Yes, the communities are few, but all have fuel.

As for accommodations, we always use booking.com It has been our primary "tool" for years.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

It's exactely the same rule (And probably worst) for Canadians trying to enter to USA...
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

Spyder Garage

If someone has any sort of criminal past, especially if it was a violent crime, they will probably be denied entry into Canada. Same thing will happen if they have an attitude when talking to the border guard. They had better call Canadian Border Services to see if they can be admissible. Failing to do so is their own fault if they get turned back.

Going to another country is a privilege, not a right, regardless what anyone thinks. When we travel to the US, we know that we are let into your country by the grace of the border guard that we talk to. If for any reason they decide not to let us in then it would be too bad for us. Same for anyone coming to Canada.

Play by the rules and I hope to meet as many of you as I can.

Brian