Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Could be wrong but possibly kep-up maybe was thinking you have an SE (the semi-auto) so was referring to the controller on the handlebars for that.

Firstly the sensor thing is annoying but isn't going to stop you riding the Spyder so there is no need to rush this repair. Swapping the gear sensor was an easy job, particularly if your doing a service at the same time because you need to remove the same panels.

So you could wait until you need a service and get the dealer to do both at the same time. Alternatively if you do your own servicing you could get the part, fit it when you next do a service - if you do find it needs a BUDs reset afterwards just go along to your dealers for that. It took my dealer about a minute to do the reset.

Normally I do my own servicing but because this needed doing I got the dealer to do the service and the sensor at the same time as I couldn't be bothered to muck about. It cost me for both service and sensor, labour and parts, NZ$400 which at todays exchange rate is US$277.

Thank you for that explanation. I did my service recently myself so it's good to keep that in the back of my mind that a) I can still ride by spyder (even though been riding it for 2 days and got no issue) and b) let the dealer handle it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    The OP stated near the end of the first paragraph of his first post; "(SE5)".
    Yes you are right, did mention that I have an SE5 so now I see why you'd suggest that. Just caught me off guard since we've been talking about the position sensor. Thank you for the suggestion.

Spyder Garage

Mine was doing the same thing last summer (2011 RS SE5). It was the paddle shifter!!! Swapped that out (on my own with some pictures others put up on here) and it shifts much more smoothly and haven't had that nasty message since!!! Took me about 30 minutes to change it out.
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Spyder Garage

The OP stated near the end of the first paragraph of his first post; "(SE5)".
    Yep you're right sorry about that, was getting my threads confused (perhaps that's tangled:-)).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vampyregirl View Post
    Mine was doing the same thing last summer (2011 RS SE5). It was the paddle shifter!!! Swapped that out (on my own with some pictures others put up on here) and it shifts much more smoothly and haven't had that nasty message since!!! Took me about 30 minutes to change it out.
    Called up the dealer and they said the paddle shifter is about 45$ so wouldn't be a bad first step if I get that nasty message again.

Spyder Garage

Replacing the gear position sensor requires removal of the drive pulley. I don't think I saw that mentioned. Retorque the bolt to 110 ft lb.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tecnodog7 View Post
    Called up the dealer and they said the paddle shifter is about 45$ so wouldn't be a bad first step if I get that nasty message again.
    $45.00?? At that price, I'd grab two! More like $130, if I recall correctly.

Spyder Garage

$45.00?? At that price, I'd grab two! More like $130, if I recall correctly.
    Really? That's what the guy told me. Maybe he didn't understand me or told me a price for something else.

Spyder Garage

Hello All,

I ran into this issue this week, I screwed up to cause it. I was out riding yesterday and encountered frequent Check Tranny errors. I took it out today after reading this and other threads, and on my test ride I remembered that I had the RH controls off so I could turn the risers around. The RIVCO one has you orient the right side weird, and I want the riser turned over. When I pulle the controls they come off with the mini bar on them now so when I dropped the controls accidentally, it tugged on the connectors for the RH controls. I took off the appropriate skins, reconnected the connectors after cleaning them and treating them in dielectric grease, and the issue is resolved. My connector was VERY dirty, so before you order the part, try cleaning the switch connectors first. Just a tip. I am all fixed now.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black