Spyder Garage

Default NEED HELP! Mixing coolants question. Need EXPERT advice.

I use Engine Ice (propylene glycol) in my '15 RT LTD. While at the shop for other service I asked them to check the fluid levels. When I came to pick it up they told me the coolant was a half quart to a quart low and they topped it off with green coolant (ethylene glycol?). They should have known better because they're the ones who flushed the system originally and filled it with Engine Ice, and it should be in the maintenance/service records. (OEM coolant for a Spyder is the long life orange coolant anyway, so why short life green? But I digress.)

I've heard things from very bad to no biggee. Need KNOWLEDGEABLE advice here, not personal opinion. Engine Ice company says not to mix the two, and then I've read that you can but the heat transfer is negatively affected. If no biggee, fine. But if so I'll need to insist they flush and replace the coolant. It's expensive, but I do have a couple of spare bottles.

From the Engine Ice FAQ's: We recommend you never mix ANY TYPE of coolant and antifreeze products. One reason is that propylene glycol and ethylene glycol do not mix well together. Another reason is that just because the base fluid may be similar, other additives and ingredients may not be. Just as you would not mix oils, and for the same reasons, you should not mix coolants and types of antifreeze.
    Last edited by Navy Warrant; 05-18-2017 at 01:23 AM.
    [/IMG]

2012 RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium Metallic (traded in)
    2015 RT LTD SE6, Red Pearl, Ultra Comfort Seat
    MODS: shorty antenna, BajaRon sway bar, Air Hawk cushion, custom LED US flag, custom Sue Hopper painted SPECOPS hood logo, custom Combat Craft Crewman windshield engraving, cup holder, Doc Humphry's 2017 complete RT kit belt tensioner

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COOLANTS

I know it's supposed to be the same stuff .... But I have the BRP ...ORANGE coolant and they say don't mix .... so I'm not going to ...... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I know it's supposed to be the same stuff .... But I have the BRP ...ORANGE coolant and they say don't mix .... so I'm not going to ...... jmho .... Mike
    Well, no. Ethylene glycol is not the same as propylene glycol. I'm not talking about mixing the orange with the green, both propylene glycol. Engine Ice is an ethylene glycol product and is better at cooling, and keeps my engine about 10 degrees cooler. Important when ryding in 113 degree desert, or even just 95 degree summer heat here in NC. The dealership's shop mixed a quart of green propylene glycol with the Engine Ice brand ethylene glycol already in the system.
    [/IMG]

MODS: shorty antenna, BajaRon sway bar, Air Hawk cushion, custom LED US flag, custom Sue Hopper painted SPECOPS hood logo, custom Combat Craft Crewman windshield engraving, cup holder, Doc Humphry's 2017 complete RT kit belt tensioner

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Warrant View Post
    Well, no. Ethylene glycol is not the same as propylene glycol. I'm not talking about mixing the orange with the green, both propylene glycol. Engine Ice is an ethylene glycol product and is better at cooling, and keeps my engine about 10 degrees cooler. Important when ryding in 113 degree desert, or even just 95 degree summer heat here in NC. The dealership's shop mixed a quart of green propylene glycol with the Engine Ice brand ethylene glycol already in the system.
    Actually I was referring to the Equivalent to the " ORANGE STUFF " . ( there is such a thing ) .... however I don't trust it to be true ...... so I'm sticking with BRP's Orange stuff ...... ( for now At least )..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Actually I was referring to the Equivalent to the " ORANGE STUFF " . ( there is such a thing ) .... however I don't trust it to be true ...... so I'm sticking with BRP's Orange stuff ...... ( for now At least )..... Mike
    I appreciate telling me which coolant you use Mike, but I'm not sure how that helps me with my ethylene and propylene mix situation. Thanks tho. :-)
    Last edited by Navy Warrant; 05-17-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    [/IMG]

Spyder Garage

If in doubt flush and fill.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    If in doubt flush and fill.
    This if nothing else will give you peace of mind, if you do not you will forever be worrying about it.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Mixing those two types of coolant is pretty much NOT recommended by any of the coolant or radiator mobs out there, altho it's not really the absolute worst thing you can do in the way of mixing coolants & some products have similar enough additive packages that you can get away with it - but do you know if that's the case with the mix that's in your Spyder now!?!

Sooo, I still reckon I'd be asking for a flush & refill, even if you hafta pay for it, because you did ask them to check the fluid levels, didn't you!!

Check this lot out for some more info on the subject: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/cooling/cool_121.htm
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r285...opylene-Glycol
    https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/...pes_for_a_car/

There's heaps more where that came from!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2017 at 06:34 AM. Reason: adding refs

Spyder Garage
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Shop screwed up...
    Take it back to them, and have them replace that mess with the proper stuff!
    On their Dime: of course!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I retired from the coolant wars last year. You won't get a reasoned, knowledgeable answer. You'll get everyone heading to their corners, guns blazing with how their opinion is right and everyone else is an idiot.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The Shop screwed up...
    Bob is right.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Zip, That's only really safe if you know (for sure) that the additive loads that generally make up about 10-25% of each product are also fully compatible, which is often not the case!!

So while the polypropelene & ethylene glycol components themselves may be 'compatible' & safely mixed, the various additives contained in each glycol product may well (& often do!) simply turn into a concrete like substance inside your cooling system if combined with a different product.... & in doing so, they often block the cooling galleries in the engine & the heat transfer tubes in the radiator - permanently; but almost always somewhat if not significantly reducing the heat shedding capacity of your engine's cooling system. And THAT's the reason that you should (still) never mix different coolant products unless you know they are completely compatible!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Mixing those two types of coolant is pretty much NOT recommended by any of the coolant or radiator mobs out there, altho it's not really the absolute worst thing you can do in the way of mixing coolants & some products have similar enough additive packages that you can get away with it - but do you know if that's the case with the mix that's in your Spyder now!?!

Sooo, I still reckon I'd be asking for a flush & refill, even if you hafta pay for it, because you did ask them to check the fluid levels, didn't you!!

Check this lot out for some more info on the subject: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/cooling/cool_121.htm
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r285...opylene-Glycol
    https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/...pes_for_a_car/

There's heaps more where that came from!
    Yes, you're correct. I did ask them to check the fluid levels... since they're the ones who put the Engine Ice (propylene glycol) in for me on both of my Spyders. Yes, it is the case. The paperwork says the coolant was a qt low and they topped it off with green coolant (ethylene glycol).

Thanks for the link, but that's about a different coolant, OAT (Organic Acid Technology), the orange stuff, being mixed with glycols.

After reading sage advice, flush and refill is the plan. Glad I have extra Engine Ice. Stuff's expensive (which reminds me, I'll be using Amsoil next oil change). Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Navy Warrant; 05-18-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    [/IMG]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The Shop screwed up...
    Agree with Bob, their screw-up their responsibility. If You had made the mistake they would sure charge You to fix it.

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default year

I agree flush and fill

But ,BUT you did not specify that the ice was in there . They also should have known that green did not go in there for that year

So lets go with 50-50 blame

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Capture.jpgThis is from my service manual.

Yeah, I agree that they should have had records of the change over on coolants. Mixing the two is not a good idea. I would verify that the change over is in their records. If it is, their fault. If not, why not? Good luck.

And that Dexcool (OAT) is just bad news. I've heard nothing but bad news about that stuff.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover