Spyder Garage

Default Electrical problems with my 2013 RT-Limited

I have a 2013 Limited that is giving me fits. The bike acts like its hitting the rev limiter in any gear when it gets to approx 4200rpm. I can't get it to run over 56mph. I'm also getting some codes and warning lights appear on the dash... I get a DPS code flashing, A VSS code and a picture of the motor flashes. Then it will tell me to limp it home. This is the first time I've had any issues and it has me nervous. The dealer can't look at it for a week or more. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

You are in limp mode which is what limits the rpms/mph. Start by checking the battery connections and condition. Then shut her down remove the key and wait for the computers to reset. Restart and see if the codes and warnings have cleared. If they do take a ryde and see if any come back if they don't you would need to check the items that appear. The check engine light is usually because you have warnings of some sort. DPS will pop up if there is any battery low conditon.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What codes are being shown?
    (Could you have been "riding the brake"?)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Have you done anything that will affect the ABS system, like move a sensor or install new tires? I ask this because this is exactly what occurs when this is done. Installing a slightly different diameter tire will cause a VSS alarm and that will in turn cause a DPS alarm. The VSS code is the one that puts you in limp mode. To clear it, you just need to turn the ignition off for a couple of minutes and restart. You may get the same alarm a couple of times. During this time the ECU is learning the new setup.

If this is not the case, then I'm sorry, but you may need the dealer.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Check your battery connections first. Then get the codes and post them here and we will give you some guidance on what may be wrong.

To get the codes on your RT. While the warning lights are on. Press "Mode", "Set" and "Turn Cancel" at the same time. Record all the alphanumeric codes that scroll across the screen.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Limb mode

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You are in limp mode which is what limits the rpms/mph. Start by checking the battery connections and condition. Then shut her down remove the key and wait for the computers to reset. Restart and see if the codes and warnings have cleared. If they do take a ryde and see if any come back if they don't you would need to check the items that appear. The check engine light is usually because you have warnings of some sort. DPS will pop up if there is any battery low conditon.

I had the same problem on my rt , and I pull out all and push back all the fuses in the front of the rt. no problem after 10000 kl

Spyder Garage

The above posters have you covered with the most common causes. If you have not been accidently riding the brake, you may need a new battery.

And . I see this is your first post.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default electrical problems

The bike belongs to one of my riding partners that does not have a computer, so I'm acting as his translator. So please excuse the delays in our responses. I'll pass along all of these suggestions. I know that the battery has just been replaced, so maybe that's a good starting point, and he just changed the oil. As far as the tires, the rear was changed several thousand miles ago, but other than pressure adjustments there have been no changes. We rode together two nights ago, and he was in front of me. We found that on occasion, the turn signals would not come on also. So it's starting to lead more and more to a possible connection issue. The bike has always started good and never quit running, just these annoying issues. We will look into the suggested areas and report back... Thanks guys!