Spyder Garage

Default Compression Bags

Hey all! I'm finding I am packing too much in my ST-S's frunk. I finally was able to buy a good riding jacket with armor, however, I really only wanted it for when the weather is rainy and/or colder.

I currently keep a small square ice chest with emergency road and another smaller bag inside of it for first aid items. This leaves me enough room for miscellaneous items such as gloves, water bottles, hoodie (few other clothes) and my leather vest. I have non room for my new jacket...even if I take everything out except for the emergency stuff.

Now if I am just around town or not too terribly far away from the homestead, I can remove the larger ice chest and only carry my first aid...and then maybe my jacket will fit. However, I like being prepared so any long trip I'm screwed unless I put saddle bags and/or some carry luggage on the passenger seat...I can't afford saddlebags and I hate taking up the space on my passenger seat unless it's like the Corbin smuggler trunk...however, it looks too small for a jacket.

Anyway, I thought of compression bags and was wondering if anyone else has used them for their jackets that have armor in them to make the set smaller...or if it's even worth it. Here's one I found by Nelson: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ompression-bag

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Eric
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Spyder Garage

I don't use it for my jacket, as I always wear that, I do carry 2 sets of Frogg Toggs and a long sleeve heavy turtle neck in one that compresses down to the size of a football. I think it would be tough to get much compression on armor.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah...hear you...thanks.

Yeah, got some frogs as well...they do get pretty small and store well. Maybe I'll try and find a hard case that locks and that looks cool to fit on the passenger seat. Dunno...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Long long ago

A wife of a riding friend of mine used small plastic bags in a trash compacter to compress clothing. It worked very well until she started opening things. Only open what you don't want to put back in when you're on the road. She ended up mailing a lot of stuff home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Compression bags work great with almost all non-armored clothing and soft gear. We used them for our overnight stuff. As for riding gear, we just wear appropriate mesh jackets that have removable liners for rain/cold. - those liners can go into the compression bags.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumanPIBE View Post
    Yeah, got some frogs as well...they do get pretty small and store well. Maybe I'll try and find a hard case that locks and that looks cool to fit on the passenger seat. Dunno...

I have this one...

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/t...10-detail.html

You really won't find a hard case for the passenger seat, only hard case mounts for side and tail. So you have 3 options.

1. Soft tail/seat bag as linked.
    2. Hard tail case - which by itself will look a little goofy.
    3. Side cases like the Givi V35's which have a mounting kit for your spyder.

I had V35's and top V46 hard cases on my 08 GS and still had the Nelson Rigg bag on my passenger seat.

That Nelson Rigg bag is 41 liters and comes with a rain cover. I have a security cable locking it to the hand rail and I have a small miniature combination lock on the main zipper to keep people honest. I've ridden nearly 30k miles with it and never had anyone mess with it and never had anything inside get wet. It stays on the bike all the time (both my 08 and now my F3) and basically provides storage for my rain gear, extra gloves, cleaning supplies, sun screen etc. My Olympia jacket fits entirely inside of it, liners, armor and all.

Honestly a tail bag (soft) is your most cost effective and flexible solution.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome feedback ya'll...

I truly appreciate the feedback. All-in-all I like the passenger seat bag that locks, and I can still use my compression bags for my regular clothes. Now on to find one that locks and such like the one posted in this thread. I am also going to review my roadside emergency items to see if maybe I can change things around...good times. Now all I need is a fun group to ride with...trying some new peeps in MO...ryde on ya'll!!

Thank you all...ya'll rock!!

Spyder Garage

Hey all! I'm finding I am packing too much in my ST-S's frunk. I finally was able to buy a good riding jacket with armor, however, I really only wanted it for when the weather is rainy and/or colder.

I currently keep a small square ice chest with emergency road and another smaller bag inside of it for first aid items. This leaves me enough room for miscellaneous items such as gloves, water bottles, hoodie (few other clothes) and my leather vest. I have non room for my new jacket...even if I take everything out except for the emergency stuff.

Now if I am just around town or not too terribly far away from the homestead, I can remove the larger ice chest and only carry my first aid...and then maybe my jacket will fit. However, I like being prepared so any long trip I'm screwed unless I put saddle bags and/or some carry luggage on the passenger seat...I can't afford saddlebags and I hate taking up the space on my passenger seat unless it's like the Corbin smuggler trunk...however, it looks too small for a jacket.

Anyway, I thought of compression bags and was wondering if anyone else has used them for their jackets that have armor in them to make the set smaller...or if it's even worth it. Here's one I found by Nelson: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ompression-bag

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Eric
    well fyi i can be a pack rat & is partly why I got a trailer, but before that i packed with a sissy bar bag that I could lock to the passanger grab bars with a bicycle cable lock thru the D rings & some luggage locks on the bag itself. image.jpg My first one I dont know maker but was called a bufflo bag, worked great for my trip to southermost point in "15. Later at spyderfest same year, I got a bag from rivico that they only offer at shows so that worked out greatimage.jpg fyi both were about same size as frunk & just heavy duty nylon, could hold out the rain & such the rivico bag has exandable areas & is super handy. Lots better than trying a back pack if you can avoid it. Nelson rigg has few bags that could fit your needs dont stick with just one. As far as the jackets go i have gone 3 layers deep & just left the zipper open to keep good air flow, if was too warm i would shuck 1& run the cable lock thru a sleeve & have it under the bag. Per my trips anyway.
    & fyi thats with saddle bags too
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Compression bag ?

For those commenting on their use, how does one "compress" the Nelson - Rigg bag and keep it compressed? Most "compression" bags I've packed in the car are plastic ones and vacuum sweeper hose attachment is the means of compression. it wasn't really clear on their website??

Spyder Garage

Default Just ordered 2 smalls...

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJ999 View Post
    For those commenting on their use, how does one "compress" the Nelson - Rigg bag and keep it compressed? Most "compression" bags I've packed in the car are plastic ones and vacuum sweeper hose attachment is the means of compression. it wasn't really clear on their website??

Hey...I just ordered two small bags from Nelson's site for my clothes to try. I was wondering the same thing, and I cam across this answer which helped me decide. These bags are not too terribly tough, meaning I wouldn't put hard items in it or my jackets to try to compress. After reading on Amazon reviews about these, these would be great for most sleeping bags and clothes or other soft items. If anyone wants to know how I feel about them, let me know and I'll post something when they come in...

"Compression bags usually have a 2 or 3 straps around them (running from top to bottom) that allow you to compress the bags once you've put your clothes or sleeping back inside.

First you fill it, and then go through a process of "squeeze & tighten.... squeeze & tighten" until you've compressed the bag to its smallest possible size and the straps hold the thing tight.

A "stuff sack" and a "compression bag" are not the same thing. A lot of sleeping bags come with a "stuff sack" that you just stuff your bag into. The "compression bag" actually has straps to help you tighten it down and hold it in the smallest possible size. "

Spyder Garage

Default Just ordered my first tail bag...

And from what shared in this posting, will probably be my only item for my jacket needs.

I got the CL-1060-ST SPORT TOURING MOTORCYCLE TAIL/SEAT BAG and the Personal Security Lock. I'm going to get another lock rope to ensure it does not leave the bike without being cut off.

I can see some really good uses like being able to get my helmet locks out and such without having to dig in my pants pockets for them...or have the things stab me in the legs anymore...

Thanks for everyone's input!!! I can't wait for my new toys for my big toy...LOL!

Spyder Garage

And from what shared in this posting, will probably be my only item for my jacket needs.

I got the CL-1060-ST SPORT TOURING MOTORCYCLE TAIL/SEAT BAG and the Personal Security Lock. I'm going to get another lock rope to ensure it does not leave the bike without being cut off.

I can see some really good uses like being able to get my helmet locks out and such without having to dig in my pants pockets for them...or have the things stab me in the legs anymore...

Thanks for everyone's input!!! I can't wait for my new toys for my big toy...LOL!
    Enjoy & plz report back, it is a good looking bag I got a chance to see it & more at spyderfest, but already have enough & know how i like to pack them.

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Enjoy & plz report back, it is a good looking bag I got a chance to see it & more at spyderfest, but already have enough & know how i like to pack them.
    I got my new Nelson Rigg CL-1060ST Sport Touring Tail Bag (Color: Black) from Revzilla. My armored Tourmaster 4 Transition jacket fits in it, and the bag still looks good on the bike!! And that's with it not unzipped to be expanded!! Still have room for a few other things and probably a change of clothes once expanded.

I grayed out some of the background of my garage to make it easier to see the demo better. Plus I'm remodeling it and things are all over the place. And it was rainy, so...yeah...inside. LOL.

I tested it out putting it on my ride, and it fits well and is very secure. Damn near rock the bike over pulling on the bag when the straps are pulled tight but not over tight.

I did not put the locks on the zipper or the bag itself, but I took pics of it and it's easy to imagine how they'll work. If someone really wants it, they will figure a way to get it...otherwise, just seeing a lock will deter most thieves. It's just to give me a bit more piece of mind so I can concentrate on enjoying myself whoever I'm at...

As you can see in the pics, the bag logo and white lines are very reflective.

I have not tried the compression bags yet. I will post something when I do. See the following post for more pics...

20170526_231227.jpg20170526_231414.jpg20170526_231424.jpg20170526_231440.jpg20170526_231521.jpg

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Congrats & now the question is where will be first test destonation?? Dont for get to leave some room for farkles found while out of town. They do seem to show up faster when budgeting trips & such

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Default No kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Congrats & now the question is where will be first test destonation?? Dont for get to leave some room for farkles found while out of town. They do seem to show up faster when budgeting trips & such
    I'm not sure off hand...it seems the past several months whenever I make plans, something out of my control cancels them. I went for a ride today...no destination...next thing I know I'm 50 miles away and cruising slow through a cemetery looking at all the American flags with names on each...made me proud to be in a country where we never forget those who served. I agree with your signature...I wasn't part of anything, but I'll sure as hell support it and them all.

Oh yeah...I'm a farkle nut...definitely need to save room. Thanks for the reminder. I had hell bringing a huge 2+ foot Spyder drag race trophy home from SpyderFest 2015. Thank God I could take the trophy apart and stuff it in my clothes to keep it safe...otherwise, I suppose I'd have to had mailed it home... That pretty much made me not buy anything else that had to be stored while there...didn't complaint though...had a blast.