Thread: HAND BRAKE

Spyder Garage

Default HAND BRAKE

HEY DUDES & DUDETTES.....
    look what i saw at my local dealers today....
    20170516_102358.jpg 20170516_102406.jpg
    i'm not yet in need of one of these, but we do have many members that ask about HAND BRAKES from X-2-X, so i thought i'd post it....
    this one is on the F3, but they also had one installed on the RT.... not cheap but very well constructed... $1500 or so...
    hope it helps... if interested, call: GREENVILLE POWERSPORTS, in Greenville, SC @ 864-244-6632....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Would be nice with riding pegs!

I would love to put highway pegs on my RT (being 6'5") and stretch my legs, but am afraid of the time needed to get back to the brake in an emergency. The handlebar brake would be great, but $1500... Ouch..

Spyder Garage

Those are made and sold by ISCI.
    High quality products.
    http://www.isciride.com/home/rsrtst-...h-accessories/

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I installed highway pegs on my 2010 RT not long after I bought it but like the previous poster was very uncomfortable with my foot no where near the brake pedal especially in traffic. I sucked it up and paid the money for an ISCI hand brake and it is one of the best Spyder related descisions I have made. Had it installed for About 5 years now and rarely use the foot brake.
    Related story: when I bought it ISCI was giving away a remote controlled Spyder with each one purchased. When it showed up I said look honey, I got a remote control Spyder for $1300 bucks and they gave me a free hand brake. She didn't see the humor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Those are made and sold by ISCI.
    High quality products.
    http://www.isciride.com/home/rsrtst-...h-accessories/
    Their handbrake system is a high quality piece, and should be considered the "Gold Standard" for this type of farkle.
    But if you think that spending $1500 for a product that might save your life: how expensive are the hospitals around your neighborhood?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I guess I don't get the big concern over using highway pegs without a hand brake. It's not like you're using them all the time.. and pretty much on the 'highway'. Used highway pegs on both my GS and my RT without a hand brake.. never a problem.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I guess I don't get the big concern over using highway pegs without a hand brake. It's not like you're using them all the time.. and pretty much on the 'highway'. Used highway pegs on both my GS and my RT without a hand brake.. never a problem.
    I have my highway pegs positioned so that when I'm using them: it's easy to mash the brake pedal with my right heel.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Adjusting to....

For many coming from two wheeler with a front and rear brake operated indepentendly it is an adjustment. I think ICSI is the only one at the moment offering the hand brake system. It is pricy and has helped many stay on the open road who would otherwise not be able to ryde. On this one I do see and Italian brake lever which if it is the ICSI makes it a modification or posibly a different system....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Question about ICSI hand brake and Spyder warrenty

Being new to the world of Can-Am Spyders I have a couple of questions...

It is a given that with some of the physical limitations that I have that I will need to have a hand brake on what ever bike/trike that I happen to get, so given this does having a hand brake, like the one sold by ICSI, have any effect on the Can-Am's Spyder's warranty?

Next do dealers install aftermarket items such as the ICSI hand brake or are these do it yourself product installs?

Look forward to your input on this.

Thanks

JD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default That's a definate "WANT TO HAVE"

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i'm not yet in need of one of these, but we do have many members that ask about HAND BRAKES from X-2-X, so i thought i'd post it....
    this one is on the F3, but they also had one installed on the RT.... not cheap but very well constructed... $1500 or so...
    hope it helps... if interested, call: GREENVILLE POWERSPORTS, in Greenville, SC @ 864-244-6632....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    I've ridden two wheelers for fifty years. Hand brake is mandatory. I don't like the foot position on the RT. If I can add a HB that might steer me back to the RT. BTW, I'm experimenting with a remote lapel mic for my Go Pro Hero5. The chord is like twenty seven feet long. Does anyone make a wireless remote mic for the Go Pro?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jdftwrth View Post
    Being new to the world of Can-Am Spyders I have a couple of questions...

It is a given that with some of the physical limitations that I have that I will need to have a hand brake on what ever bike/trike that I happen to get, so given this does having a hand brake, like the one sold by ICSI, have any effect on the Can-Am's Spyder's warranty?

Next do dealers install aftermarket items such as the ICSI hand brake or are these do it yourself product installs?

Look forward to your input on this.

Thanks

JD
    I recently bought a 2016 RTL from a guy who had his ICSI hand brake installed by his dealer and it did not affect the trike's warranty. I would assume a dealer would be willing to install it as long as they have the expertise and bandwidth.

Spyder Garage

RE: ISCI Handbrake. It appears to be "the Standard" for manual handbrakes used on .

Those that have them, swear by them not AT them. They have been around since day one.

If you can find a used with an ISCI, then it is a good deal. They are pricey to start (about $1,500) or so. At this point it is a used farkle and worth between 50% to zero. Even if you need one badly, think about it...this particular farkle has a very small niche market. If the dealer is trying to push it as being worth an extra $1,500 to the price of the bike I would call their bluff. Offer $100 extra and maybe go up to $200. That's the ballpark of true value--used.

Same as for the semi-auto--it cost about $1,500 extra when new. They do not add a lot of extra value to a used unit. It makes the used unit more sellable, since most do not want the Manual tranny. Will the average buyer pay an extra $1,500 for a used SE? Not.

I recently bought a brand new 2015 Kawi and I offered them $500 over the suggested KBB "used" retail. They took the deal, and I got my accessories installed for free. I heard a lot of fake tears and complaining from the dealer--but the deal went through anyway. You should be able to do similar on a bike with a "used" ISCI.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As some of you already know I went with the 'home made' version of this following the approach that's well documented on this site using a Honda XS650 lever & master cylinder, NASCAR slave cylinder etc. The main reason for doing this was cost - if you think the ICSI kit is expensive in the US then try getting one in New Zealand where it ends up costing twice as much with shipping, duty etc.

The end result works well and I enjoyed the process of working it all out, designing the brackets etc. Cost wise, even with me 'playing' with the design, it was less than a quarter of what the ICSI kit was going to be.

However to me the ISCI kit does make sense if you have less inclination to DIY. You buy it, fit it, and your done. It does the job and you don't have to worry.

Yes it's expensive but if like me you are going to have your Spyder a few years and can't get used to not having a hand brake then its worth it. I'd tried riding my Spyder for three years without a handbrake but still found myself reaching for one. I also never felt I had enough sensitivity with the foot brake when in the twisties. If I could have got an ICSI kit for the same price as you can in the US I would have probably have gone that route.

Spyder Garage

Default Hydraulic Hand Brake

This handbrake that I design that I put in 2008 is simple- safe and cheap.
    I have put them on my 2008-2012-2014 Spyders with well over 50,000 miles with no problems.

ISCI kit that came after that are high quality handbrake.
    I never meant to sell to anybody else it was all about what I needed for my own Spyder.

I shared everything on this website at that time to help others. The parts to build this are less
    then $200 if you have the ability the ingenuity and the confidence to do this it's simple.

As I have repeated over the years too many BRP officials this should be an option that they offer.
    With highway pegs getting your foot back to the foot brake sometimes is not fast enough and that's
    the only reason why I put it on mine was safety.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...tive-to-Cables

Nexus

1-20140315_145459.jpg

post-830-1213147440[1].jpg

1-2008+SE5+Spyder+007.jpg

2-20140315_193815.jpg

3-Lift+010 (2).jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NEXUS View Post
    As I have repeated over the years too many BRP officials this should be an option that they offer.
    Firstly thanks NEXUS for your original post as that's what I followed to do mine.

Like you I've never understood why BRP never offered it as an option, all I can think of is that they decided the amount of extra vehicle approval they would have to go through didn't make it worth it. As you probably remember the GS/RS even has a couple places on the inside of the foot peg mount that are ideal for attaching the bracket for the slave cylinder so it lines up, almost as if they got that far and then didn't go any further.

Spyder Garage

Default ISCI Handbrake

I had an ISCI handbrake installed last year, being an amputee, it s by far the best investment I have made in my Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    I got my F3 a couple of days ago and it has a brake lever fitted, so this morning I took photos of it to post on here to see if anyone had heard of it but no need it is exactly this set up that you have pictured here so that is great, now I know thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default A New Player????

Quote Originally Posted by Rigsby View Post
    I got my F3 a couple of days ago and it has a brake lever fitted, so this morning I took photos of it to post on here to see if anyone had heard of it but no need it is exactly this set up that you have pictured here so that is great, now I know thanks
    This looks like there may be a new player in the hand brake game??? VERY INTERESTING!!!