Spyder Garage

Default Couple of questions

Ok,I will admit that I have not had much time this morning to research the post for these 2 topics but I am 1) wanting to add a USB that will fit in the extra location on my RT,under the handlebars.What is the best way to wire it for ignition power or can I tap into a supplied location on the wiring harness?
    2) I have seen many post about the RT drivers backrest and they are running together in my mind.Would I be better off just biting the bullet and spending $500 on the BRP factory one or is their a better solution on the open market?I'm kinda leaning to the BRP model.
    Thanks in advance and hope I don't spark to big of a debate.

Owen - Odogg1963

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by odogg1963 View Post
    Ok,I will admit that I have not had much time this morning to research the post for these 2 topics but I am 1) wanting to add a USB that will fit in the extra location on my RT,under the handlebars.What is the best way to wire it for ignition power or can I tap into a supplied location on the wiring harness?
    2) I have seen many post about the RT drivers backrest and they are running together in my mind.Would I be better off just biting the bullet and spending $500 on the BRP factory one or is their a better solution on the open market?I'm kinda leaning to the BRP model.
    Thanks in advance and hope I don't spark to big of a debate.

Owen - Odogg1963
    I added the USB in that spot and pulled the power from the spot in the frunk where BRP has the optional power outlet. I tapped into that and pulled wires up to the console.

As others will probably post, there are lots of after market backrests, but I went with the stock one from BRP and I am very happy with it.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't help you with your question about USB ports, but I DO like my BRP backrest!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the posts.That's about what I figured but thought I'd get a few opinions first.Appreciate it!

Owen

Spyder Garage

Ultimate makes an excellent back rest for a lot less money. I have no back rest on my current Spyder, but I have used them on two other bikes and was very happy with the quality and the price.
    Now as to your USB ports Pierre at http://canamspyderaccessories.com/ sells unit that will give you 2 USB ports and has a You Tube video on the installation. I got mine from him and I really like it and the video is a great demonstration.

Video install of USB ports https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbxnh3VeLL4
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 05-12-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I have the USB port you are talking about

But I haven't installed it yet. LOL From others here who have installed it, it is a little tricky to get a good fit. Square USB in a round hole, if you get my drift. If you screw it up, well that 's another story. Hooking anything to power on a computer regulated spyder can result in some strange happenings. I would go off the battery with an inline fuse just to be safe. Spyder repair techs get $89 per/hr. and up.

*I watched the video, A+ video, no BS right to the point. Follow it closely and you should be good.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 05-12-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I can't help you with your question about USB ports, but I DO like my BRP backrest!

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default USB power socket

The one mentioned from Pierce is great. Know that it MUST go in the center slot on the control panel. If it is put in one of the two slots right of center, the USB cable sits high enough that the handlebar will push the cable, breaking the outlet in half. I have removed both of my analog gauges and put 52 mm caps over the openings. It was a easy project to cut a hole in the cap to match the plug. You can tap into the old gauge's wiring or run power and ground to your choice of location.