Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default interstate riding

I don't know how people do it. every time I ride the interstate, afterwards I feel like I've been in a fight and lost! hopped on the interstate at Waynesburg Pa today and run home to Morgantown WV. 30 miles of highway, wore me out.

Spyder Garage

I love to ride the interstate unless it's bumper to bumper. Move to left and open the throttle. Nothing like it!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I used to avoid highways due to vibration and head buffeting. The combination of Doc Humphrey's vibration damper and a F4 tall and wide windshield made the difference for me. I just did 2800 miles to SpyderFest and back.

Spyder Garage

I have an RS and feel the some way but I do find that is I lean forward and lower my head a little it helps. I guess it works because the RS rider position is more like a sport bike than a cruiser like the RT. Feels great to open that throttle but I still feel like I take a beating on the highway.
    2016 Spyder RS SM5
    2016 RS , Black

Spyder Garage

I avoid the big road on the Spyder simply because I like to look around and enjoy the scenery, and I don't like to feel "pushed". If I gotta make time, I'll take it, otherwise I prefer the other highways or county roads
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    I used to avoid highways due to vibration and head buffeting. The combination of Doc Humphrey's vibration damper and a F4 tall and wide windshield made the difference for me. I just did 2800 miles to SpyderFest and back.
    I have the same setup on my Spyder. How many Miles do you ride in one day? Trying to decide if Meg and I should drive straight through or Stop at a motel on the way to Valcourt.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Have you had a laser alignment? It made a big difference on my 2011 RTL running highway speeds. It used to dart around on me and after an hour or so of that I would be ready to pull over to rest.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I love the interstate highways but I may be spoiled because they are pretty nice in the west, unlike some of the highways in the east. On our trip home from Spyderfest, via North Carolina we had to ride the last 1000 miles at 60 mph because Joe's fuel pump was acting up. That did make me a bit crazy as I usually like to set the cruise around 80 mph. I did manage to get 45 mpg while towing my loaded trailer but I'd rather have made it home a day earlier.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Interstate

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    I don't know how people do it. every time I ride the interstate, afterwards I feel like I've been in a fight and lost! hopped on the interstate at Waynesburg Pa today and run home to Morgantown WV. 30 miles of highway, wore me out.
    I drive a total of 75 miles on interstate going to and from work. I leave earlier than rush hour in the morning and try to leave a little before shift change in the evening. I actually enjoy it, I try to stay in the center lane to have an escape route.
    Last edited by jaybird1; 05-10-2017 at 10:53 PM.
    2016 RTL , Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Not fond of the interstates but use them when time is an issue. We ryde hundreds of miles a day and don't feel worse for wear but if your not relaxed on those road the stress factor will wear you down...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would rather ride the Interstates myself. There is some nice scenery on some of them, and I don't have to worry about crossroads, driveways, traffic lights, dogs, and gravel or tree limbs in the road. Either way you have to worry about idiots on the road with you, so I will take the quicker way all the time. All depends on your comfort level.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Cool interstate 79

Just did the trip from Clarksburg to Erie last month on the 15 RTS Not bad 500 Mi just a little cold at night. It is a much more comfortable ride then the 13 FJR or the 99 Honda Goldwing ever were on that stretch of interstate 79
    Roger & Debbie
    2015 RTS SM6
    Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Interstates serve one purpose for me, to get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible. Otherwise I prefer backroads or older U.S. highways.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    Have you had a laser alignment? It made a big difference on my 2011 RTL running highway speeds. It used to dart around on me and after an hour or so of that I would be ready to pull over to rest.
    yeah, had it aligned back in dec 2015 right after I bought it. made a difference but not sure it was aligned as well as it could be. probably could stand to be checked. who knows. according to the gauge I have the air pressures are good. going to search for a good quality digital gauge and try it. I do get a lot of buffeting so I might order a set of the deflectors that attach to the ones just behind the windshield and see what happens. i installed the oversize windshield with vents last year. bike is supposed to have Rons sway bar, although the nylon links haven't been swapped out for the billet ones. I do tend to ride in one side of the lane or the other instead of the center. maybe that's the problem. roads around here are junk so it's hard to tell.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interstates are great for getting somewhere quickly...
    But if I'm not in a hurry to be someplace: the secondary roads are where the best riding is gonna take place!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default What in particular?

What is it about expressway that's beating you up? Traffic, weather, bike handling?
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some folks don't like the monotony of an unchanging landscape...
    Others don't like the wind buffeting from the Big-Rigs...

Which one is it; that gets to you?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

big rigs for the most part. I get around them as fast as possible. they're thick as bugs on a bumper around here. scenery around here is about the same, either straight up or straight down!

Spyder Garage

My first cross crountry trip from Connecticut to Wyoming, Colorado, and back in 1977 on a Yamaha SX 650 was all on interstates. When i got home about all I could remember was Buffalo somewhere in Kansas. My second trip out there in 1979 was done on a 1979 Vespa P200E. 3 and 1/2 weeks roughly 6000 miles round trip, all secondary highways and back roads. Lots and lots of memories! Meet lots of people that couldn't believe I was doing this on a scooter. Lots of home cooked meals, slept in back yards, guest rooms, and hay fields, campgrounds. Trip of a life time! Now i only take Interstates if i have to or am in a hurry. Remember those days before GPS. When everyone knew how to read a map. More convenient now, but seemed to have a lot more fun when we were lost half the time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

big rigs for the most part. I get around them as fast as possible. they're thick as bugs on a bumper around here. scenery around here is about the same, either straight up or straight down!
    Try to set your speed so that you're not catching them, and they're not catching you!

Spyder Garage

I don't mind the wind buffeting my upper torso on the interstates. Yes, over time it adds to the fatigue of a long day on the Spyder but with the light touch on the bars, laser alignment and Ron bar it tracks true and I'm not fighting the handling of the machine. I believe physical conditioning is one of the keys to keeping fresh on long riding days. Like quasi, I get past the semis as fast as possible but that's just basic motorcycle safety.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stay away from them; as best you can!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

For me the interstates are the easiest riding we do. As Spyder Ann said we have some fine highways out in the west, very little traffic and multi lane much of the time. Really allows me to relax. We just completed an Iron Butt, all on State Freeways and Interstates and we were more pumped than tired at the end of 19 hours. Try to relax, remember every is going the same direction, nad keep an eye on your mirrors.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Interstates serve one purpose for me, to get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible. Otherwise I prefer backroads or older U.S. highways.

That's how we feel also. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I love my California scientific extra wide, tall windshield. Ever since I got it, the wind buffeting is not an issue.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic