Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default up rated charging system.....

A bit of an odd post maybe...I have seen in the past that the Spyder may not produce the power some desire to run stereo's and other things....I think I may have a solution...but, and it is a but, someone will need to test it. I have an Aprilia, it produces too much power from the stator....so I have a lower output rotor from a Spyder to fit, anyone want to see if the Aprilia rotor will produce the power you need to run a stereo etc? I will be testing mine very soon, and then the Can Am set up in the RSV, I am picking it will be a lot less, and I am only to happy to post results here, if there is any interest?
    Shane

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Of course they do...otherwise they wouldn't be able to convert the 3 phase AC voltage a stator produces to 14v DC, would they?
    What the issue is with RSV's is they produce too much electrical power, can't use it, and fry the stator and regulator....if the power is used, by, say, running a stereo...the issue is solved.

Spyder Garage

Hiya mate,

Are you in the South or the North Island?

If North then probably worth posting something on the NZ Spyder Riders meetup site (or I can post something for you)
    https://www.meetup.com/Spyder-Riders-NZ/

If the South Island then I can post something for you on the Canterbury Spyder Riders Facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/CanterburySpyderRyders/

Not interested myself as I keep my extra's pretty limited - a radar detector being the main one;-)

Thanks,

Jos

Spyder Garage

Just to mention model wise you probably need someone with either a pre-2014 RT, or a RS/ST. Its even possible it will have to be a pre-2013 RS as the engine did change in 2013, though the changes are relatively minor and expect that part wasn't affected.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WOW - REALLY

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiRSV View Post
    Of course they do...otherwise they wouldn't be able to convert the 3 phase AC voltage a stator produces to 14v DC, would they?
    What the issue is with RSV's is they produce too much electrical power, can't use it, and fry the stator and regulator....if the power is used, by, say, running a stereo...the issue is solved.
    So in stock form " Aprilia's " are designed so the electrical system can FRY if you don't have a device using the extra current ............. Sorry but I find this very hard to believe. ...... I can see minor design flaws in all motorcycles but what you are describing is NOT a MINOR design flaw .............. jmho ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default It'll fit...

Hi Pistonblown, it'll fit all the Spyders, as they didn't change the crank. Feel free to post it anywhere you like, I am in the North Island.

Hi Mike, no, Aprilia didn't design it this way, the manufacturer of the rotor used a different type of magnet in the rotor, and none of the manufacturers supplied these rotors were aware of this. Aprilia weren't the only ones affected, but due to certain financial issues, they couldn't get them swapped out under warranty...the other affected manufacturers did. Basically, it produces the voltage at idle it should be making at 6000 rpm...the higher you run it, the more voltage it produces...it's a vicious cycle...as most Aprilia's are run at high rpm they produce way to much electrical power.....It is an issue I am working to remedy. There is more to the explaination, but that'll do for the moment. Whether you choose to believe it or not, it is a fact. Have a look on any Aprilia forum, and you will see posts with people asking what to do to fix the issue. Most of us run the SH847 reg/rec, and I recommend them for EVERY bike, after learing what I have about std reg/recs, but that is a different story. The other fix that has been tried has been a heavily wound stator....with varying success. They last a little longer, but still blow, due to the rotor making the stator produce too much power. I know far more about Aprilia electrics than I ever wanted to know. Yes, it is an issue for us RSV owners, and really expensive to fix, hence why I was seeing if there is any interest in the higher magnetised rotors among Spyder riders..if so, we may be able to set up an exchange type deal.

I have a Spyder rotor and stator, I am going to see if it fits my RSV, I can see no reason why it won't, as they are both Rotax V990's, and a variety of other parts are interchangeable.

If anyone is interested in being able to run more electrical items on their Spyder, let me know.
    Shane
    Last edited by Questions; 05-11-2017 at 12:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

Question here would be...if you don't run the stereo will it fry your system..?
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ROTOR ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiRSV View Post
    Hi Pistonblown, it'll fit all the Spyders, as they didn't change the crank. Feel free to post it anywhere you like, I am in the North Island.

Hi Mike, no, Aprilia didn't design it this way, the manufacturer of the rotor used a different type of magnet in the rotor, and none of the manufacturers supplied these rotors were aware of this. Aprilia weren't the only ones affected, but due to certain financial issues, they couldn't get them swapped out under warranty...the other affected manufacturers did. Basically, it produces the voltage at idle it should be making at 6000 rpm...the higher you run it, the more voltage it produces...it's a vicious cycle...as most Aprilia's are run at high rpm they produce way to much electrical power.....It is an issue I am working to remedy. There is more to the explaination, but that'll do for the moment. Whether you choose to believe it or not, it is a fact. Have a look on any Aprilia forum, and you will see posts with people asking what to do to fix the issue. Most of us run the SH847 reg/rec, and I recommend them for EVERY bike, after learing what I have about std reg/recs, but that is a different story. The other fix that has been tried has been a heavily wound stator....with varying success. They last a little longer, but still blow, due to the rotor making the stator produce too much power. I know far more about Aprilia electrics than I ever wanted to know. Yes, it is an issue for us RSV owners, and really expensive to fix, hence why I was seeing if there is any interest in the higher magnetised rotors among Spyder riders..if so, we may be able to set up an exchange type deal.

I have a Spyder rotor and stator, I am going to see if it fits my RSV, I can see no reason why it won't, as they are both Rotax V990's, and a variety of other parts are interchangeable.

If anyone is interested in being able to run more electrical items on their Spyder, let me know.
    Shane
    There is a saying a little bit of knowledge can be Dangerous - - - well now that I know the deeper facts I will delete my posts on this........ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Shouldn't do....

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Question here would be...if you don't run the stereo will it fry your system..?
    I very much doubt it, unless you run consistantly above 8000rpm for long periods. To be doubly safe you could install a SH847, I have, and it has saved the life of my stator....so far. I am guessing most Spyder owners don't run at the higher rpm is RSV riders tend to run at, as such, you should be fine. As we ride at higher rpm, we tend to burn them out quickly, if they are run at lower rpm, the stator is a lot happier, and I would anticipate no issues for you at all. This also gives you the ability to run more lights, charge phones etc and not worry about your battery running low, even around town.

Mike, no need to delete your posts, there was no harm in what you asked.