Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Throttle body and sensor issue 2010 RT

Code P1614 on my ryde. Wednesday, took it to dealer - cleaned throttle body and reset computer. $150, 1 3/4 hours labor. Rode 100 miles on Saturday, couple of starts no issue. Last start to head home, check engine - code P1614. Read service bulletin about this and one fix is to replace throttle body. How much is this gonna cost? Is that the only solution? BTW, with key on -key off a couple of times, it does start and run. Am I going back to the dealer to get this fixed?
    Jim

2010 RT SM5
    28,000 miles

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

P1614 means exactly what it says...
    Your dealer can contact BRP, and see if they're willing to perform the replacement on an "accommodation basis" for you.
    (It never hurts to ask!)
    The best of luck to you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow FYI

Throttle Body Bulletin.pdf - Google Drive

Let us know how it turns out.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

There were some issues with the 2010 and 2011 TB's. Usually resulting in not wanting to start when up to operating temperature. Both my 2010 and 2011 were fixed under warranty when the warranty was still in effect.

If the work was not originally done on yours, perhaps the dealer may be able to convince BRP to fix under warranty.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    Code P1614 on my ryde. Wednesday, took it to dealer - cleaned throttle body and reset computer. $150, 1 3/4 hours labor. Rode 100 miles on Saturday, couple of starts no issue. Last start to head home, check engine - code P1614. Read service bulletin about this and one fix is to replace throttle body. How much is this gonna cost? Is that the only solution? BTW, with key on -key off a couple of times, it does start and run. Am I going back to the dealer to get this fixed?
    Jim

2010 RT SM5
    28,000 miles
    I had the same issue this morning. 2010 RTS with 10,500 miles. Calling the dealer Tuesday.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-man View Post
    I had the same issue this morning. 2010 RTS with 10,500 miles. Calling the dealer Tuesday.
    Let me know what you find out. I am calling Monday morning. I'll post info when I know...
    Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Anyone here had the throttle body replaced on a 2010 RT? I have no idea how much this is going to cost. Dealer already cleaned throttle body - one of the fixes in the service bulletin for the P1614 code - and I still get the check engine and code. Just wondering how much to set aside for this repair.
    Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Anyone here had the throttle body replaced on a 2010 RT? I have no idea how much this is going to cost. Dealer already cleaned throttle body - one of the fixes in the service bulletin for the P1614 code - and I still get the check engine and code. Just wondering how much to set aside for this repair.
    Jim
    So I called my dealer as I mentioned above. He says that BRP "Might" replace the throttle body for free, but only the parts. Labor would be around $500. I think I'm going to wait and see how much of a problem this is for me.

Spyder Garage

So I called my dealer as I mentioned above. He says that BRP "Might" replace the throttle body for free, but only the parts. Labor would be around $500. I think I'm going to wait and see how much of a problem this is for me.
    Let's see if we can override the dealer.

see if you can start a case with brp: brp.care@brp.com

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Let's see if we can override the dealer.

see if you can start a case with brp: brp.care@brp.com
    Ok, can't hurt! Thanks

Spyder Garage

Here's the response I got today from BRP:

Hi Doug,

Your dealer can open a case for you, but given the age of the unit I can't make any assurances as to coverage. However, it's possible that the throttle body just needs to be cleaned - please have your dealer look up bulletin ROADSTER DTC P1614 ECM (991) - 27826 for the cleaning procedure.

Thanks,

Steve

Spyder Garage

Here's the response I got today from BRP:

Hi Doug,

Your dealer can open a case for you, but given the age of the unit I can't make any assurances as to coverage. However, it's possible that the throttle body just needs to be cleaned - please have your dealer look up bulletin ROADSTER DTC P1614 ECM (991) - 27826 for the cleaning procedure.

Thanks,

Steve

You heard from "the man." Print the information out and present it to the dealer. Make sure they are really opening a case with BRP and that they are not trying to charge you for whatever BRP may kick in. With bulletin numbers etc. the dealer should know exactly where to go on your situation.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-10-2017 at 11:00 AM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 and mine did the same thing 3 different times within a hour. Always after shut down and restarting. It would go into limp mode and shut off in the middle of the road causing a very serious safety issue for me.

Took it to the dealer and very sternly discussed my concerns about almost being killed to the service manager. Then called BRP and filed the complaint. Dealer contacted BRP and the throttle body was replaced by BRP but i had to pay for labor. TB is $900+ but labor was $350 so I felt a lot better about that.

But be very persistent, with both BRP and dealer. If they only want to clean it first, make sure to ask if the price you pay will go to the replacement labor if the cleaning doesn't work. It was a known problem for 2010-2011 RT's and they're pretty good about wanting to help make it right.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

Additional good information with a similar case is #13 above.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I wrote to BRP about my P1614 code...

"
    I purchased a 2010 RT SM5 in August of 2016. I switched from a VTX 1800 to the Spyder, and I do like the Spyder. On a recent trip to Spyderfest 2017 (Springfield, MO) the check engine lit up and the code was P1614.

I had regular issues while there and all the way home. Key on - check engine, start, key off, about three or four times and then it would start without the check engine alert. Pretty frustrating because I never knew when it would start, if it would at all. I found the service bulletin for the 2010-12 and saw that there were two options for repair.

Got home and took it the dealer where I bought it. They cleaned the throttle body, test drove, and I picked it up. Got home and 2 days later the check engine alert/ code P1614 happened again. Finally started and got home from our ride. I contacted dealer and he confirmed that the throttle body had never been replaced.

It is now at the dealer to have the work done on Friday the 12th.

TO BRP: I would appreciate any financial help you may offer. I understand that it is out of warranty and I don't have any kind of assistance plan. I had seen that there may be some Goodwill assistance - per the service bulletin - available to help."

...and I heard back from Steve at BRP...

"Hi Jim,

Your dealer can open a case for you, but given the age of the unit I can't make any assurances as to coverage. If your dealer performed a complete TB cleaning procedure according to bulletin ROADSTER DTC P1614 ECM (991) then it's indeed possible that a replacement is in order.

Thanks,

Steve"

So... looks like this will be on my dime. That's ok. At least I asked and Steve offered the dealer to open a case for me. I'll let you know...
    Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I sort of figured that this would be what would ultimately be staring you in the face...
    You might just as well get it done now... It won't get any better on it's own, and you sure can't sell the bike with it like this...
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I wrote to BRP about my P1614 code...

"
    I purchased a 2010 RT SM5 in August of 2016. I switched from a VTX 1800 to the Spyder, and I do like the Spyder. On a recent trip to Spyderfest 2017 (Springfield, MO) the check engine lit up and the code was P1614.

I had regular issues while there and all the way home. Key on - check engine, start, key off, about three or four times and then it would start without the check engine alert. Pretty frustrating because I never knew when it would start, if it would at all. I found the service bulletin for the 2010-12 and saw that there were two options for repair.

Got home and took it the dealer where I bought it. They cleaned the throttle body, test drove, and I picked it up. Got home and 2 days later the check engine alert/ code P1614 happened again. Finally started and got home from our ride. I contacted dealer and he confirmed that the throttle body had never been replaced.

It is now at the dealer to have the work done on Friday the 12th.

TO BRP: I would appreciate any financial help you may offer. I understand that it is out of warranty and I don't have any kind of assistance plan. I had seen that there may be some Goodwill assistance - per the service bulletin - available to help."

...and I heard back from Steve at BRP...

"Hi Jim,

Your dealer can open a case for you, but given the age of the unit I can't make any assurances as to coverage. If your dealer performed a complete TB cleaning procedure according to bulletin ROADSTER DTC P1614 ECM (991) then it's indeed possible that a replacement is in order.

Thanks,

Steve"

So... looks like this will be on my dime. That's ok. At least I asked and Steve offered the dealer to open a case for me. I'll let you know...
    Jim
    Do not take this as their final answer. I stated that you needed to be persistent, very very persistent with BRP and your dealer. I called each one everyday for a week and even a few times the following week. State your concern with the safety issues of this problem and refuse to take that silly reply. This was a very known problem, there's a lot of post on here about it. Again be very persistent, that's a $900 part.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

Default Bad throttle body

Had this issue with my 2011 RT. It was replaced under warranty. My dealer told me the flap for throttle body was drilled of center not allowing it to close properly. The bike would start and sound like it was falling apart and no power. The dealer cleaned it once and then replaced it. Be very persistent if this was not done it will only get worse. In 2011 and 12 this should have been fixed.

Spyder Garage

I talked with Todd, my dealer and tech, on Friday (5/12/17) and he said he downloaded info about the bike and has opened a case with BRP. Today is Monday, so I'm anxious to hear what happens. Maybe, just maybe, Steve at BRP will come through with the part at least...
    Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Default Throttle body issueas a

Guys, I also have the same P1614 code. I bought my Spyder RT 2010 last year with 57000km. I contacted my dealer to bring it in with a P1614 code plus I wanted them to do the 20km inspection. The next day the dealer contacted me saying the P1614 code was due to a cracked spark plug. So they need to change the plugs plus some crack hoses. The dealer also said the mechanics also noticed that my water pump was leaking and the gaskets of the valves cylinder needed to be change. Cost for the inspection + water pump and gaskets $1500.

i picked up my Spyder 2 days later. I left the dealer did 2 km and stop for gas. When I restarted the Spyder the engine light came on again with code P1614, plus I couldn't engage in 1st gear. When I finally was able to engage in 1st gear the motor stalled. When I was able to restart again the engine light didn't come on again. I then proceeded to drive back home 45km away with no issues. When I wanted to take the bike out again after 4 days, the engine light came on again with code P1614. I contacted my dealer, they told me to bring it back in immediately for them to have a look at it. I ask them if there would be charges to look at the problem again. They assured my that i would not be charged. When I got to the dealer, they told my that the mechanic would have another look at it and re-initialize the software. I left the Spyder on site and came back 2 days after to pick it up. The technical adviser told me that they had reinitialize the software and if the code came back the throttle body would need to be replaced and the cost of the part would be $1000. They then presented me with an invoice of $89.00 for the réinitialisation of the software ( when they told me originally it would be free). I ask to speak to the service manager to explain my case. He told me that would need to speak to the mechanic who had worked on my unit ( he was out at lunch) and that he would call me back in the afternoon to discuss the $89 charge. I then started my unit and guess what the code P1614 came back again, I still was in the dealer parking lot !!

I walk back in the dealership , the mechanics took my unit in and explained to me that this was a known issue with the 2010 RT and that they would open a case with BRP and see if they would replace the Throttle body.

This pass Monday I got a call from the dealer to tell that my case was rejected by BRP because of the mileage I had on my 2010 RT. The dealer told me that I would need need to pay for the throttle body and labour from my own pocket

i explained to the dealer that after charging me $1500 for all sorts of parts they replaced which had nothing to do with the original issue code 1614 which was why I brought my Spyder in and that nodoby had taken the time to explain the throttle body issues which they were very well aware and until I had to return to dealership, I was expecting much more from them as far as customer service. My Spyder is still parked at the dealership by the way.

This is morning I sent an official letter to BRP complaining about the situation and mentioning what had happen with this particular dealer , plus I also sent an official letter to the dealership telling them that an official complaint regarding their service was sent to BRP.

i receive a email from BRP in the late afternoon mentioning that someone would be contacting me on Wednesday may 17th.

i will keep you posted with the outcome of my complaint to BRP.

PS, let me know if you think that there is other avenues that I should explore with BRP.

DenisC
    Last edited by DenisC; 05-16-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DenisC View Post
    Guys, I also have the same P1614 code. I bought my Spyder RT 2010 last year with 57000km. I contacted my dealer to bring it in with a P1614 code plus I wanted them to do the 20km inspection. The next day the dealer contacted me saying the P1614 code was due to a cracked spark plug. So they need to change the plugs plus some crack hoses. The dealer also said the mechanics also noticed that my water pump was leaking and the gaskets of the valves cylinder needed to be change. Cost for the inspection + water pump and gaskets $1500.

i picked up my Spyder 2 days later. I left the dealer did 2 km and stop for gas. When I restarted the Spyder the engine light came on again with code P1614, plus I couldn't engage in 1st gear. When I finally was able to engage in 1st gear the motor stalled. When I was able to restart again the engine light didn't come on again. I then proceeded to drive back home 45km away with no issues. When I wanted to take the bike out again after 4 days, the engine light came on again with code P1614. I contacted my dealer, they told me to bring it back in immediately for them to have a look at it. I ask them if there would be charges to look at the problem again. They assured my that i would not be charged. When I got to the dealer, they told my that the mechanic would have another look at it and re-initialize the software. I left the Spyder on site and came back 2 days after to pick it up. The technical adviser told me that they had reinitialize the software and if the code came back the throttle body would need to be replaced and the cost of the part would be $1000. They then presented me with an invoice of $89.00 for the réinitialisation of the software ( when they told me originally it would be free). I ask to speak to the service manager to explain my case. He told me that would need to speak to the mechanic who had worked on my unit ( he was out at lunch) and that he would call me back in the afternoon to discuss the $89 charge. I then started my unit and guess what the code P1614 came back again, I still was in the dealer parking lot !!

I walk back in the dealership , the mechanics took my unit in and explained to me that this was a known issue with the 2010 RT and that they would open a case with BRP and see if they would replace the Throttle body.

This pass Monday I got a call from the dealer to tell that my case was rejected by BRP because of the mileage I had on my 2010 RT. The dealer told me that I would need need to pay for the throttle body and labour from my own pocket

i explained to the dealer that after charging me $1500 for all sorts of parts they replaced which had nothing to do with the original issue code 1614 which was why I brought my Spyder in and that nodoby had taken the time to explain the throttle body issues which they were very well aware and until I had to return to dealership, I was expecting much more from them as far as customer service. My Spyder is still parked at the dealership by the way.

This is morning I sent an official letter to BRP complaining about the situation and mentioning what had happen with this particular dealer , plus I also sent an official letter to the dealership telling them that an official complaint regarding their service was sent to BRP.

i receive a email from BRP in the late afternoon mentioning that someone would be contacting me on Wednesday may 17th.

i will keep you posted with the outcome of my complaint to BRP.

PS, let me know if you think that there is other avenues that I should explore with BRP.

DenisC
    I don't know why they performed any of that work because about 98% of the time a P1614 code is the throttle body. It's the throttle position sensor not knowing how much throttle you're asking for. and the only way to replace the sensor, if i'm correct, is to replace the whole TB unit.

You had other issues with the water pump and all so that needed to be taken care of but none of that maintenance had anything to do with the P1614. Not even the spark plugs.

My advise would be to go back to the dealer and have the service manager call BRP with you there in his office so all 3 of you could talk this issue and explain you're concerns with the safety concerns of this problem. Because believe me, it will shut off in the middle of the road leaving you vunerable to a life threatening problem. Mine did it 3 times and i wasn't taking no or any other remedies for an answer. My request was for a TB replacement as soon as I walked in and was even adamant about getting the BBB involved if needed.

Spyder Garage

Default Throttle body and sensor issues

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    I don't know why they performed any of that work because about 98% of the time a P1614 code is the throttle body. It's the throttle position sensor not knowing how much throttle you're asking for. and the only way to replace the sensor, if i'm correct, is to replace the whole TB unit.

You had other issues with the water pump and all so that needed to be taken care of but none of that maintenance had anything to do with the P1614. Not even the spark plugs.

My advise would be to go back to the dealer and have the service manager call BRP with you there in his office so all 3 of you could talk this issue and explain you're concerns with the safety concerns of this problem. Because believe me, it will shut off in the middle of the road leaving you vunerable to a life threatening problem. Mine did it 3 times and i wasn't taking no or any other remedies for an answer. My request was for a TB replacement as soon as I walked in and was even adamant about getting the BBB involved if needed.

Thanks for your advise jrobert, I am waiting until 13:00 to hear from BRP, if I have not heard from them by then or my dealer, I will go at the dealer site and persue the discussion. I will throw in the safety issue and see how they react.
    i will keep everyone inform. DenisC

Spyder Garage

Heard from BRP about this issue:

Information has been added to your case:
    "Todd This unit is too far out from emissions warranty for BRP to offer any assistance in this repair. Thanks, Corey"

The bike IS 7 years old. I didn't expect any help. I appreciate my dealer contacting them. At least we tried. BTW - I never had an issue while ryding. It was only when I tried to start it. So, Todd has the part ordered and I hope to get it back soon. The weather here in northern Indiana has been A+ for ryding and I'm missing it!!
    Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Heard from BRP about this issue:

Information has been added to your case:
    "Todd This unit is too far out from emissions warranty for BRP to offer any assistance in this repair. Thanks, Corey"

The bike IS 7 years old. I didn't expect any help. I appreciate my dealer contacting them. At least we tried. BTW - I never had an issue while ryding. It was only when I tried to start it. So, Todd has the part ordered and I hope to get it back soon. The weather here in northern Indiana has been A+ for ryding and I'm missing it!!
    Jim

Spoke to BRP today and they will not assist in any way with repair cost. They are totally referring me my dealer.
    Spoke to my dealer who is contacting them for a second time and will raise the issue once more.

it looks that a will have to break my piggy bank and pay for it myself. I am trying to negotiate with my dealer to give me a break either on the parts cost or labour cost. Simply frustrating that my dealer didn't advice me of the throttle body issues upon my first visit. I am not arguing that the water pump or valve gaskets didn't need to be replace I know that with 62000km on the Spyder some wear and tear parts will need replacement, I am simply frustrated that my dealer couldn't be up front with me from the get go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DenisC View Post
    Spoke to BRP today and they will not assist in any way with repair cost. They are totally referring me my dealer.
    Spoke to my dealer who is contacting them for a second time and will raise the issue once more.

it looks that a will have to break my piggy bank and pay for it myself. I am trying to negotiate with my dealer to give me a break either on the parts cost or labour cost. Simply frustrating that my dealer didn't advice me of the throttle body issues upon my first visit. I am not arguing that the water pump or valve gaskets didn't need to be replace I know that with 62000km on the Spyder some wear and tear parts will need replacement, I am simply frustrated that my dealer couldn't be up front with me from the get go.

Guys, FYI, my dealer called a 2nd time BRP, to push the issue again mentioning it could be a safety issues if the throttle body error code would come up again while I was driving it and BRP still are denying the responsibility of replacing the assy. Always coming back that the unit is way pass the warranty and the km is too advance at 61800km.

I am bitting the bullet for this repair. The dealer is giving me a break on the labour cost to install the throttle body assy. They have reduce their labour cost $ 89.00/her to $50.00 , they will charge me 2hre of labour plus the part $1065.00. So I am picking up my Spyder tomorrow around 6:00, needless to say it better just hummmm on my way home.

Thank you all for your great feedback and support on this issue.

DenisC