Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DenisC View Post
    Guys, FYI, my dealer called a 2nd time BRP, to push the issue again mentioning it could be a safety issues if the throttle body error code would come up again while I was driving it and BRP still are denying the responsibility of replacing the assy. Always coming back that the unit is way pass the warranty and the km is too advance at 61800km.

I am bitting the bullet for this repair. The dealer is giving me a break on the labour cost to install the throttle body assy. They have reduce their labour cost $ 89.00/her to $50.00 , they will charge me 2hre of labour plus the part $1065.00. So I am picking up my Spyder tomorrow around 6:00, needless to say it better just hummmm on my way home.

Thank you all for your great feedback and support on this issue.

DenisC
    Sorry you had no luck on getting BRP to help with the part. At least your dealer was nice enough to help with the labor rate. Plus I think I was charged 4 hrs labor so you're getting a good break from them. You better take some doughnuts in when picking up, lol. But seriously, BRP knows this was a problem with these units and they should stand by replacing them to keep customers happy. My unit was 6yrs old and has 25,000 miles on it when mine happened.

Hopefully you won't have any other problems after the repair. Good Luck
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    Sorry you had no luck on getting BRP to help with the part. At least your dealer was nice enough to help with the labor rate. Plus I think I was charged 4 hrs labor so you're getting a good break from them. You better take some doughnuts in when picking up, lol. But seriously, BRP knows this was a problem with these units and they should stand by replacing them to keep customers happy. My unit was 6yrs old and has 25,000 miles on it when mine happened.

Hopefully you won't have any other problems after the repair. Good Luck

Just to add that i pick up my unit on Friday and it simply road great on the way home.
    That everyone for your great input with this issue.

DenisC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're "Back on three"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Got the throttle body replaced....

...and just picked up my bike from the dealer. I was pleasantly surprised by the bill. I had found the complete kit following BRP links - it was $823. and change retail (Includes items 1 through 13!) I didn't buy it, I was just curious about the cost. From my dealer the cost was $848.75. Ok by me - Fair price. 4.25 hours of labor at $80 per hr = $340 dollars. So I only had to spend $1274.91. I was expecting to spend about $200-300 more than that. The bike runs like a champ. Now if the weather will cooperate, we will RYDE!!!
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RT Limited throttle body

At 7700 miles the throttle body was replaced under warranty. Do to a non riding injury the bike was not used for two years other than a few trips around town to keep everything lubed and battery up. Now at 8700 miles the throttle body needs replacement. Now extended warranty is expired. Checking with our SRA chapter there has been 15 throttle body replacements on 2010 and 2011 models. BIG Problem. My quote was $1200. Waiting to hear from BRP.

Spyder Garage

My bike is in the shop getting it Throttle Body replaced for the second time. First time was circa 2 years ago at the 3wheeler rally in Deadwood SD. The cost at that time was circa $1200. It is in the shop att and the cost will be circa $1350. Paying extra to get the part overnighted plus labor is a bit more in San Antonio. Heading out to Red Rock Rally Next Wednesday, I get my bike back on Tuesday if all goes well.

Regards,

Michael
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT SM5 that I just picked up in October with 2700 miles on it. The odometer now reads just over 8,000 miles. During those 5,300 miles I've had a half-dozen or so instances of the 4500 RPM "cap" after I start her up no matter how far I twist the throttle. It's becoming a more and more frequent as time progresses. The last two times it happened, I had the presence of mind to check for a code and alas, the dreaded P1614 code appears. Yup. Failing throttle body.

The bike is sitting at Motosport Hillsboro (Hillsboro, Oregon) right now and the service manager there has so far been empathetic and easy to work with. He has opened a case with BRP and requested GoodWill assistance with this issue. It'll be 24-48 hours before I hear back from BRP via the shop. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

The more I read (on this and other Spyder forums) about the rampancy of this issue (especially being that it's super common to have multiple TB failures on the same bike) this feels like it should have been a full-on Recall.

Has anyone considered a class action suit regarding this?
    2019 RTL , Phoenix Orange Metalic

Spyder Garage

The dealer got back to me today saying that my request for goodwill assistance from BRP was rejected due to the bike being so far out of warranty. Not an unexpected reply.
    Again, given the ubiquity of this issue one would think this would be an all out re-call. The reply from BRP further went on to say, "Regular cleaning will help prevent premature failure of the throttle actuating motor."

I've never owned ANY vehicle EVER where the throttle body failed once let alone have someone tell me that cleaning is a part of regular maintenance. It still seems like this is an ongoing weak link in the design of this engine that still has probably never properly been fixed. As it has been with others, I have this sense that it's just a matter of time before I'll need to have this same failure again. I'm sure I'll just get told that I didn't have it cleaned regularly enough so it's my fault that the TB self-destructed.

I love this bike when it's running but this experience has definitely sour'd my outlook on owning a Spyder.
    2019 RTL , Phoenix Orange Metalic