Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Death Grip"?

Spyder Garage

Default The best grips for sure

Quote Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
    FYI - I just ordered foam grips from TricLed - $12.95 or 19.95 for two pair.
    Cindy applied my first pair at Spyderfest Cuba..back, way back then. And I won't be without...they are amazing for the price and how they improve comfort for hands. Yep a must have IMHO...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

When I first started ryding my RS in December of last year, my death grip was so bad my right hand would go numb. I'm still working on relaxing my grip, and no longer get the numbness.
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Close your eyes, and take a deeeeeep breath...

But don't forget to start breathing again!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Death Grip

Dude, Almost 62 here , been riding since 14, Love my Spyder, you've just gotta Relax and roll with the road, I haven't got a sway bar, or all those fancy grips, ill tell you the way to get use to the wind , this is how I did it , I travel 285 all the time around the Airport, what I did was get behind a 18 wheeler and get in his wash, and then easied up my grip and let the bike do the work, Have fun in the wind , that's what she's for let her take you , you just head it in the right direction you want to go and stay in that truk wash until you feel comphy with it and then your having fun , crank up some ACDC OR Z Z TOP and let R Roll !!!!!

Be Cool, Have Fun , and stay SAFE !!!

Midnightbreeze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Regarding wind, let it move you around. The Spyder will stay straight. Let your arms be flexible. I was riding the other day with a group of Goldwingers. The side wind was so strong they had to lean their bikes into it. Me? I moved back and forth somewhat but the Spyder stayed straight.

As for semis. Keep back in the next lane until the way is clear ahead of the truck, then kick it in the a$$ and get by the truck as fast as you can. There are three places on the road you do not want to be, behind a semi, alongside a semi, and in front of a semi.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks but...

Guys and girls,

I've been actively monitoring my driving habits and I'm still not clear (not surprising!). I do sometimes feel a little too much "push" on either handlebar can cause a "twitch" in the steering. Ok. Without taking my hands off the wheel it seems impossible to tell if it is me or the machine. I want to get out on the highway, switch on cruise control, then take my hands off the wheel (all but one finger). Doesn't seem like a wise strategy but how else do you test your instincts? Every time I try, a gd Fritos truck comes wizzing by... Seriously I think I could have an alignment problem and I am not ready to replace the stock stabilizer bar. Could it be tire pressure? Right now I have jacked it up to 30 rear, 20 front, rear shock at 60, front preload at 4th notch.

Don't get me wrong -- this 2012 rides great, but not perfect. I get a little pull to the left when I try to let go but not when holding the grips and constantly controlling the direction. This only happens when I try to do the "hands-off" approach while taking a smoke break. Not THAT kind of smoke....(I know what you are thinking).

KLo from GGa (Gwinnett County GA)
    Last edited by KLo5591; 05-14-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KLo5591 View Post
    Could it be tire pressure? Right now I have jacked it up to 30 rear, 20 front, rear shock at 60, front preload at 4th notch.
    Now that you mention 30# in the rear I believe I recall correctly an odd situation. I had the local car tire dealer swap out the tire on the rim for my rear tire. I put it back on and went for a ride. The Spyder was squirrelly as all get out. I then thought about the rear tire, and checked the pressure. It was something like 35#, just like it would be if on a car. I dropped it to 25 and the handling straightened right out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)