Thread: "Death Grip"?

Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One thing that really helped me was the addition of the foam grip covers from TricLed.

Regarding the wind issue, I do not have experience with this but, the Spyder Pops sway bar seems to have some positive impact on that issue. You can find many posts on it here.

Joe

Spyder Garage

Default I added grip puppies

I am a total newbie to the spyder BUT I was fortunate in that I bought a Used F3T with lots of bells and whistles like a sway bar etc already installed.
    The local high winds and other highway vehicles hardly move me and it drives like a dream and instills confidence. I have not challenged the multi-lane interstate though.
    The only thing bad that I felt was bar buzz and I put on some foam grip puppies and it helps with that.
    Does your bike have a sway bar installed?

My only stress now is deciding whether I should take the spyder or my two wheeled motorcycle to work.
    good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's smart to know when to ask...
    If you feel as if the bike is asking to be "manhandled:; that means that something just isn't quite right...
    1. It might be the bike
    2. It might be you
    3. It might be a combination of both!

I would certainly check your front tire presuures. Make sure that they are within one-half pound of each other. It would also be smart to have the bike laser-aligned. The way that BRP was sending these things out from the factory was often a bit...

marty-feldman.jpg

Now: let's talk about you...
    If you feel as if you need to be constantly making corrections to the bike's direction of travel, and your hands feel as if you've been practicing your "Who has the strongest handshake?" moves for too long: you need to try and relax a bit.
    This is NOT to say that you shouldn't be alert and looking around for potential trouble... That is "Situational Awareness", and it can keep you alive, if things get too interesting.
    I find that by keeping my knees against the tank: it stabilizes me in the saddle. It also helps to "set your outside foot", and put more weight on it, when you're making any sort of turn.
    Oh! Don't forget to lean into the turn also: the amount of the lean depends on the turn itself: you'll eventually learn to do this without even thinking about it.

I hope that this helps!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would suggest investing in a BajaRon swaybar, it will give you a more stable trike less prone to diving in the middle of a turn and not moved around as much by a side wind or passing truck.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default Relax!

Age here is 70 and I purchased my 2012 RT last Fall. I have put on about 2100 miles so far and I love this machine! I also had to get used to the death grip and once I learned to relax all was fine. I also notice that the wind seems to affect the driver more than the bike. I also added the foam grips and that also helped to lighten the grip. I am going to add the Utopia driver backrest today and that should make the ride even more comfortable that it already is. Been seeing more and more Spyders on the road here in Wisconsin.
    Karl - New London, WI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used to live in Gwinnett County and took I-85 a lot. That was 20 years ago and traffic was bad then. Now it's even worse!

Besides your grip, I also recommend the Baja Ron anti-sway bar, if your Spyder doesn't already have one. Also the foam grip covers.

Spyder Garage

Default Death grip - NOT!

When I picked up my spyder I had to dryve about two hundred myles home. The steering required constant attention and was downryght unsafe on sweeping turns. The next day I had it laser alygned and it took care of the issue completely. I'm not a believer in the death grip theory. These bikes come poorly alygned. Once that's fixed, you're good to go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderUSA View Post
    When I picked up my spyder I had to dryve about two hundred myles home. The steering required constant attention and was downryght unsafe on sweeping turns. The next day I had it laser alygned and it took care of the issue completely. I'm not a believer in the death grip theory. These bikes come poorly alygned. Once that's fixed, you're good to go.

Yes, I definitely would like to get the laser alignment done. My local dealer doesn't do them and the closest dealer that does is over 60 miles from home. But based on what I've heard I think it would be well worth the trip, assuming they can do it while I wait. I definitely will give them a call.

Spyder Garage

I would like to share some advice that was given to me!
    first: the handgrips are for steering only!!
    second: your knees in against the seat pads that come over the tank on each side. It feels strange at first, but once you get used to it you will loosen your grip on the handgrips at any speed. Your legs may be a little sore at first, but the end result is a much more relaxed ride!!
    good luck. Russ

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comments & suggestions so far my friends. My Spyder RT is pretty much stock except it came with a Utopia backrest (love it!), a RAM ball mount and USB power port on the switch panel (both very useful accessories) all compliments of the original owner.

I think the anti-sway bar would be a great upgrade but I haven't decided if I want to alter the original suspension at this time. I may go ahead and order some foam grips but how do they affect the heated grips?

As I stated, I only have logged just under 1000 miles at this point and I do need much more practice. Each ride has been an adventure and learning experience and am getting better at leaning into curves, keeping up the revs and shifting at the appropriate times (never had semi-auto before). At his point, I haven't gained the confidence to get aggressive on the curves and I definitely avoid the Interstates whenever possible. But I think my first priority is just to relax, loosen up, enjoy and have fun....

Ryde on!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well said: take your time, and enjoy the ryde!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    One thing that really helped me was the addition of the foam grip covers from TricLed.

Regarding the wind issue, I do not have experience with this but, the Spyder Pops sway bar seems to have some positive impact on that issue. You can find many posts on it here.

Joe
    We rode (600 miles) to Spyderfest '17 out of northern Indiana via Rt 31, 70, 55, 44 and had wind and trucks with us. At SF, Spyderpops installed BajaRon sway bar. We rode I-44, 70, 31 (in Indiana with 30 mph crosswinds and 40 mph gusts) and the sway bar made a big difference. If you don't have one, get one!!
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

If you have addressed tire pressure and alignment it is probably the grip.

Information that I have posted a few times concerning "the death grip."

Pretend that there are eggs between your hands and the grips. Don't break the eggs. Use more of a gentle push/pull on the handgrips. Steer INTO the turn. Countersteering does not work on ,s.

On tight turns, you should enter the turn at such a speed that you can accelerate as your enter. I enter from the inside of the curve and track to the outside. I do not touch any of the center lines. If there is extra room on the right, I use it. More straight = less "g" forces.

Leaning "slightly" into the curve and planting the outside foot will result hardly any "g" forces. I can do curves at 20+ posted without going over the center line, and the feels like its on a track. Most of the time I am comfortable with +10.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    We rode (600 miles) to Spyderfest '17 out of northern Indiana via Rt 31, 70, 55, 44 and had wind and trucks with us. At SF, Spyderpops installed BajaRon sway bar. We rode I-44, 70, 31 (in Indiana with 30 mph crosswinds and 40 mph gusts) and the sway bar made a big difference. If you don't have one, get one!!
    Jim
    I have to agree, the other suggestions are solid, but what you are describing is exactly what we felt on our RT when brand new. We would move significantly when passing big rigs, or they were passing us. Baja Ron fixed that completely. Just know that most important f us with RTs make the decision to install one of these and you will be way more comfortable on the machine and it will be much easier to practice the other tips listed in this thread. You WILL ado it eventually, there is no reason to wait.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks but...

Guys and girls,

I've been actively monitoring my driving habits and I'm still not clear (not surprising!). I do sometimes feel a little too much "push" on either handlebar can cause a "twitch" in the steering. Ok. Without taking my hands off the wheel it seems impossible to tell if it is me or the machine. I want to get out on the highway, switch on cruise control, then take my hands off the wheel (all but one finger). Doesn't seem like a wise strategy but how else do you test your instincts? Every time I try, a gd Fritos truck comes wizzing by... Seriously I think I could have an alignment problem and I am not ready to replace the stock stabilizer bar. Could it be tire pressure? Right now I have jacked it up to 30 rear, 20 front, rear shock at 60, front preload at 4th notch.

Don't get me wrong -- this 2012 rides great, but not perfect. I get a little pull to the left when I try to let go but not when holding the grips and constantly controlling the direction. This only happens when I try to do the "hands-off" approach while taking a smoke break. Not THAT kind of smoke....(I know what you are thinking).

KLo from GGa (Gwinnett County GA)
    Last edited by KLo5591; 05-14-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KLo5591 View Post
    Could it be tire pressure? Right now I have jacked it up to 30 rear, 20 front, rear shock at 60, front preload at 4th notch.
    Now that you mention 30# in the rear I believe I recall correctly an odd situation. I had the local car tire dealer swap out the tire on the rim for my rear tire. I put it back on and went for a ride. The Spyder was squirrelly as all get out. I then thought about the rear tire, and checked the pressure. It was something like 35#, just like it would be if on a car. I dropped it to 25 and the handling straightened right out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)