Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New leftover SE6 slipping - i only made it 34 miles

So far im not too impressed lol. Noticed the new F3LTD (registered it yesterday - new) pulling to the right for its first 33 miles, was already irritated. To make matters worse on the last mile i barely made it home. Trans began slipping pretty bad, engine light, flashing N, the whole shebang. I have to say im not a fan at this point. Even before the trans issue, my first impressions of this thing is that you can never relax on it. Its super twitchy, theres no way i can just sit back and chill out on it like on my cruiser bikes. The second you relax the front end just wants to grab every crack in the road and keeps you hyper vigilant. Im super surprised by this. I read a ton of reviews and everyone seems to love them.
    The trans issue doesnt make me feel any better. Starting to think this was a really expensive mistake right now.

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear....

Don't have much to go on but there is a bit of learning with these machines. Most start with the twitchyness due to a death grip to which the dynamic power steering reacts to hence the darting around. The do's and don't you can read up on hear will help. This ryde will not be like the Vaquero or your Hellcat but once you get comfortable it will be, imho, a lot more fun. As to the clutch that is a bummer and have not seen that on new models. Dealer should make it right. Rule of thunb 300-500 miles...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If you have not read the do's and do not's suggest you so so post haste. Regarding the trans slipping get it to the dealer ASAP; it's under warranty. If you do not have a death grip on the bars but a light touch and it's drifting you probably have an alignment problem. If the dealer has the capability and has not done so it should be aligned using the Rolo laser system.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I def can see the fun factor but we chose the F3 for the cruiser aspect as well. It seems like you cant just sit back and cruise. If you relax your hands it just darts all over the road. I used to road race motorcycles and even those were more stable lol. Maybe an alignment issue, time will tell.
    The semi-auto being on the fritz with 34 miles is more troublesome at this point. I havent even told the wife yet, shes at work and was planning on her maiden ride tomorrow. I was just giving it a shakedown so i could explain how it all works.
    So it actually has two engine lights and the R and N are flashing. Def not rideable right now. In all honesty i wish i could go back in time and not buy this machine. I hope things change and that we grow to like it, but right now im not so sure. So disappointing.
    Last edited by Slowpoke387; 05-06-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you have not read the do's and do not's suggest you so so post haste. Regarding the trans slipping get it to the dealer ASAP; it's under warranty. If you do not have a death grip on the bars but a light touch and it's drifting you probably have an alignment problem. If the dealer has the capability and has not done so it should be aligned using the Rolo laser system.
    Yeah im hoping the drifting is an alignment issue. no death grip here, been riding two wheels for my whole life and the death grip can def be the enemy lol. Funny thing is you almost have to have a death grip to keep it going straight. The exact opposite lol. I will load it up Monday and drop it back to the dealer. Hopefully they can straighten us out and we can start over lol.

Spyder Garage

I will say my usual and on your new purchase.

You have received some very good advice above. Tranny issues sounds like poor set up is a possibility. A tendency to track to the right or left, is usually an indication of an alignment issue.

The do's and don'ts are very good and will address most issues. Barring any more issues, it usually takes 500 or so miles to become acclimated to the 's ways.

Twitchy is usually caused by over controlling on your driving inputs.

Did you take a long test drive to see how you were going to like a ? Most have, but a few of us bought them cold turkey.

Hang in there and let us know how the dealer fixes the tranny, and tracking issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We were cold turkey buyers all the way. Local dealers dont like to do test rides here. I think if it was aligned and tracked straight, the grip could be more relaxed and there would be less bar input which im sure is causing exagerated twitchiness. Thats my theory and im sticking to it lol.
    Im quite sure both of these issues are due to poor quality control on the human level. Shame because first impressions are hard to shake. Im just really glad it happened to me and not the wife. if this happened with her id feel terrible.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check these things the dealer should have done

Tyre pressures - a tiny bit off makes a huge difference. Brp rep in oz told dealer to put 16 in one front. 18 in the other and 16 in the back. Rode like a dog...

Air shock - I have heard of dealers who forget to put any air in the back shock

easily checked and, along with other info above, hope it helps.

Re slipping - do you think they followed the unique oil filling method? Low oil gives this result...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Check these things the dealer should have done

Tyre pressures - a tiny bit off makes a huge difference. Brp rep in oz told dealer to put 16 in one front. 18 in the other and 16 in the back. Rode like a dog...

Air shock - I have heard of dealers who forget to put any air in the back shock

easily checked and, along with other info above, hope it helps.

Re slipping - do you think they followed the unique oil filling method? Low oil gives this result...
    I will have them check the pressures while its there. Actually ill check those myself. And yeah its acting like a car with low fluid. Exactly like that. Im concerned about the internal clutch parts now. I am sure they got hot because it was slipping really badly. I will be upset if they tell me that i somehow contributed to it.
    Last edited by Slowpoke387; 05-06-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

According to my owner's manual on the page listing the "Messages in Multifunction Gauge," a flashing N and R is caused by a gearbox position sensor malfunction. From what I understand about that error, it may be just out of adjustment but don't know for sure. It too is a dealer warranty to do. FWIW, I test rode an F3 Ltd at Spyderfest last year and was very impressed with the machine. I'd have one each F3 and RT-S if wife would allow. Not a chance in my house.

Properly aligned your Spyder should track straight as an arrow with NO HANDS on the bars unless there is a very severe road crown.

From your description of the dealer not wanting to allow test rides it sounds to me like some drilling down is necessary to ascertain the quality of technician training and service department customer service focus. Some are much better than others. Good luck. Oh, you and your wife should both read the owners manual several times and watch the videos that should have come with the Spyder -- good info in both media.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Most spyders come from the factory out of alignment. Our F3L front tires were strait with each other but not with the rear tire. Had a laser alignment from Squared Away and now it's great.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Good luck but it sounds like a bad set up situation. I'm sure after you get it straightened out you will love it.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah check the tire pressure and see if it helps any before going for an alignment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    I will have them check the pressures while its there. Actually ill check those myself. And yeah its acting like a car with low fluid. Exactly like that. Im concerned about the internal clutch parts now. I am sure they got hot because it was slipping really badly. I will be upset if they tell me that i somehow contributed to it.
    Don't see how you can contribute to anything in 34 miles!

Spyder Garage

So far im not too impressed lol. Noticed the new F3LTD (registered it yesterday - new) pulling to the right for its first 33 miles, was already irritated. To make matters worse on the last mile i barely made it home. Trans began slipping pretty bad, engine light, flashing N, the whole shebang. I have to say im not a fan at this point. Even before the trans issue, my first impressions of this thing is that you can never relax on it. Its super twitchy, theres no way i can just sit back and chill out on it like on my cruiser bikes. The second you relax the front end just wants to grab every crack in the road and keeps you hyper vigilant. Im super surprised by this. I read a ton of reviews and everyone seems to love them.
    The trans issue doesnt make me feel any better. Starting to think this was a really expensive mistake right now.
    Before all the worrying about making a mistake, don't you want to take it to a dealer and give them a chance to check things over? After all it is under warranty. If your not confident with the dealer you bought from, I'm sure some of the members here can tell you of a reputable one in your area.
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Again, this is another clear case of dealer mismanagement. I am glad that I said that before the normal Spyder Haters jump all over this one.

The dealer does not allow test Rydes, that may be the single dumbest thing I have ever heard. This is a $20K purchase, always test Ryde it!
    Secondly, I would be interested to know how many miles were on the Byke when you got it. How can a dealer know if it is operational if they did not Ryde it 5 miles or so?
    Third, considering how the vehicle was delivered to you, would you want to take it back to the same folks?
    Fourth, I am also curious about how much time they spent with you during the delivery. If you did not test ryde it, I would think that they should have given you ample demonstration, followed by a mandatory test Ryde with a return to the dealer for final approval.

It just sounds like this dealer is a buffoon.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Most spyders come from the factory out of alignment. Our F3L front tires were strait with each other but not with the rear tire. Had a laser alignment from Squared Away and now it's great.
    Be careful with statements like this. I have had two RTs and neither has been out of alignment. I have four friends with RTs and with one exception (self inflicted) none have had alignment issues. I know there was a time when many were screwed up but, probably not "all".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Again, this is another clear case of dealer mismanagement. I am glad that I said that before the normal Spyder Haters jump all over this one.

The dealer does not allow test Rydes, that may be the single dumbest thing I have ever heard. This is a $20K purchase, always test Ryde it!
    Secondly, I would be interested to know how many miles were on the Byke when you got it. How can a dealer know if it is operational if they did not Ryde it 5 miles or so?
    Third, considering how the vehicle was delivered to you, would you want to take it back to the same folks?
    Fourth, I am also curious about how much time they spent with you during the delivery. If you did not test ryde it, I would think that they should have given you ample demonstration, followed by a mandatory test Ryde with a return to the dealer for final approval.

It just sounds like this dealer is a buffoon.

Joe
    There was 1 mile on it so they def wouldnt have noticed the alignment issue.
    And yes it makes me hesitant to go back there.
    The demonstration part was ok actually. Coming from a ton of motorsport vehicles in the past it wasnt all that new to me.
    I do agree though that it sounds like poor setup and i may call around to see who has reputable service at this point.

Spyder Garage

Default This observation will probably irritate you...

And I only share it as a true in life example. In regard to the twitchy. Some one I know very well, no names will be mentioned to protect "the innocent". Got on his new Spyder..similar to you...have over 50 years of two wheel ryding experience. Bottom line he was loudly complaining about what a dog the Spyder was...twitchy hard to handle...you got the picture. Straight forward speaking dude who was listening. Said yep I get it you have ridden and ridden well for 50 years but you will hate that Spyder until you become teachable and willing to learn the Spyder way to ryde.
    As far as jerking around like others suggest...get ahold of a good Laser alignment person...for me there is only one Squared Away (Ann & Joe Meyer) and they travel the country doing their "magic". Contact them, they are also site sponsors, and see when they will be in your area.
    And I agree with others...dealer probably didn't assemble something correctly. The reason I drive 2000 miles to buy my Spyders is I know in my knower that Pitbull assembles them correctly. I feel assembly is that critical. Plus the ryde there is beautiful.
    Throwing codes at 34 miles...yea I'd be saying "not so nice" things and sitting on my dealers doorstep when he opens. for sure... But I've put close to 150k ryding my Spyders and my F3t is an even better cruiser, IMHO, then my Rts were. I leave Weds on a month long 8-9000k Spyder ryde. Yep luv ryding .
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    And I only share it as a true in life example. In regard to the twitchy. Some one I know very well, no names will be mentioned to protect "the innocent". Got on his new Spyder..similar to you...have over 50 years of two wheel ryding experience. Bottom line he was loudly complaining about what a dog the Spyder was...twitchy hard to handle...you got the picture. Straight forward speaking dude who was listening. Said yep I get it you have ridden and ridden well for 50 years but you will hate that Spyder until you become teachable and willing to learn the Spyder way to ryde.
    As far as jerking around like others suggest...get ahold of a good Laser alignment person...for me there is only one Squared Away (Ann & Joe Meyer) and they travel the country doing their "magic". Contact them, they are also site sponsors, and see when they will be in your area.
    And I agree with others...dealer probably didn't assemble something correctly. The reason I drive 2000 miles to buy my Spyders is I know in my knower that Pitbull assembles them correctly. I feel assembly is that critical. Plus the ryde there is beautiful.
    Throwing codes at 34 miles...yea I'd be saying "not so nice" things and sitting on my dealers doorstep when he opens. for sure... But I've put close to 150k ryding my Spyders and my F3t is an even better cruiser, IMHO, then my Rts were. I leave Weds on a month long 8-9000k Spyder ryde. Yep luv ryding .
    Well this and others here certainly gives me hope. I generally dont rant and rave and condemn a product until i get time on it after knowing its as good as it can be setup-wise. Then at least i know i have an honest representation of the intended design.
    Im not sure about going back to my dealer and am currently researching a few others to call in the am. Also letting it run right now so that i can check the oil level. Manual says it has to be operating temp. I had forgotten to mention that the trans started slipping before the lights all came on. I also read how these have limp home mode but i dont think they slip the trans to do that. Was kind of hoping maybe a sensor caused limp home mode, but after thinking about the actual slipping, maybe not.
    *Edit - oil is perfect and full
    Last edited by Slowpoke387; 05-07-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

first let me say welcome to spyder world, and take a breath and relax. also i have not read everything people have said to you, but i will tell you what i went through. after riding two wheels for many years i went to a 2013 RT limited. at first i loved the bike. then i started thinking i made a mistake. i didn't have the mechanical problems you had right out of the box, and i feel for you because of that. get that bike back to the dealer right away. but once i started riding with my friends again, i found myself lagging behind, because of the way the bike handled. i was so uncomfortable it was unreal. the great people on here helped me realize what i was doing wrong, and i started riding by myself for a little so i didn't have to keep up with anyone, and sure enough, i got used to the bike, and learned to handle turns and corners.

my main problem was with heat on my bike. it drove me nuts. it took some time for them to fix the problem, but they did. but the F3's on here get nothing but fantastic reviews. so i think once you iron the few problems you have, and i don't think you should of had them, i am sure you will be happy with the bike. please feel free to ask any question you have on this forum. the people on here are some of the best people you will ever want to talk to about the spyder. they are very helpful, and funny also. MANY HAPPY MILES AND SMILES TO YOU MY FRIEND
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    first let me say welcome to spyder world, and take a breath and relax. also i have not read everything people have said to you, but i will tell you what i went through. after riding two wheels for many years i went to a 2013 RT limited. at first i loved the bike. then i started thinking i made a mistake. i didn't have the mechanical problems you had right out of the box, and i feel for you because of that. get that bike back to the dealer right away. but once i started riding with my friends again, i found myself lagging behind, because of the way the bike handled. i was so uncomfortable it was unreal. the great people on here helped me realize what i was doing wrong, and i started riding by myself for a little so i didn't have to keep up with anyone, and sure enough, i got used to the bike, and learned to handle turns and corners.

my main problem was with heat on my bike. it drove me nuts. it took some time for them to fix the problem, but they did. but the F3's on here get nothing but fantastic reviews. so i think once you iron the few problems you have, and i don't think you should of had them, i am sure you will be happy with the bike. please feel free to ask any question you have on this forum. the people on here are some of the best people you will ever want to talk to about the spyder. they are very helpful, and funny also. MANY HAPPY MILES AND SMILES TO YOU MY FRIEND
    Thanks for the welcome and its funny that you mentioned the lagging behind thing. Because of the alignment/nervous twitchy feeling in the front, my short ride had me feeling the same way. I found myself actually thinking "wow normally id be going 10mph faster here". Ive never ever hopped on a new machine and not felt confident before. Ive had snowmobiles, quads, jet skiis, road raced motorcycles on a semi pro level, had dirtbikes, not to mention 15-20 street bikes over the years, and yet this thing had me losing confidence lol. I found myself noticing cars catching me from behind which never happens lol. Oh well, an alignment and time hopefully will cure it.

Spyder Garage

The good advice just keeps coming. Consider this as an extra welcome to the site. Hang in there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

As others have said, be sure to check tire pressure. When I picked up my second Spyder (2015 RTS) and drove home from the dealer I felt like it was all over the road and was difficult to handle. After I got home I checked the tire pressure and the fronts were over 26 psi after setting over night. I imagine they were over that when warm. I now have FOBO's to monitor the pressure and keep at 18 psi when cold and it handles much better.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Default Cold Turkey Buyers

We were cold turkey buyers all the way. Local dealers dont like to do test rides here. I think if it was aligned and tracked straight, the grip could be more relaxed and there would be less bar input which im sure is causing exagerated twitchiness. Thats my theory and im sticking to it lol.
    Im quite sure both of these issues are due to poor quality control on the human level. Shame because first impressions are hard to shake. Im just really glad it happened to me and not the wife. if this happened with her id feel terrible.
    I think, in fact I know, I would have found me a different dealer if yours wouldn't let you do a test ride, especially as you say you are an experienced bike rider. Mine, Lifestyle Honda in Mt. Vernon, WA. allowed a test ride as far as I wanted to go. You have received excellent advice and if no death grip and tranny problems I think it's again a dealer problem. Good Luck.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.