Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Non switched 12 v outlet for battery tender

I was just checking out my new 2017 F3 Limited tonight, and debating how I would connect my battery tender to a non switched (hot all the time) power outlet in the off season... I also used that 12 v outlet on my old RTS as the power source for my air pump should I get a flat. I know I had to change a fuse to make the outlet hot without the key on, on the RTS.

So with the F3, what are the options for doing this? I've searched but didn't find this question. I thought about a USB to 12 v converter, but know the USB is hot only with key on, which would work for a flat but not sure how the USB is fused for draw.. I know there are 3 sources of switched power available under the seat and side panels, but not sure if they can be made hot all the time? Maybe I just need to go directly to the battery with a fused connection. Thoughts?

Also have to add that this 2017 F3 Limited with the 1330 is quite an improvement over my 2013 RTS SE.... I'm very happy so far with 150 miles on it. Easy oil changes with only one filter too! Thanks!

Dave

Spyder Garage

Default Battery tender

I bolt them directly to the battery, and make sure the fuse can handle the compressor!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK REV 800 X View Post
    I was just checking out my new 2017 F3 Limited tonight, and debating how I would connect my battery tender to a non switched (hot all the time) power outlet in the off season... I also used that 12 v outlet on my old RTS as the power source for my air pump should I get a flat. I know I had to change a fuse to make the outlet hot without the key on, on the RTS.

So with the F3, what are the options for doing this? I've searched but didn't find this question. I thought about a USB to 12 v converter, but know the USB is hot only with key on, which would work for a flat but not sure how the USB is fused for draw.. I know there are 3 sources of switched power available under the seat and side panels, but not sure if they can be made hot all the time? Maybe I just need to go directly to the battery with a fused connection. Thoughts?

Also have to add that this 2017 F3 Limited with the 1330 is quite an improvement over my 2013 RTS SE.... I'm very happy so far with 150 miles on it. Easy oil changes with only one filter too! Thanks!

Dave
    Lamonster makes a "power plate" that mounts on the handlebars and can be wired to be live all the time. I used his setup with a RAM mount for a GPS.

Spyder Garage

Default Battery tender

I just installed the Lamont's power plate for my phone but my battery tender is direct wired to the battery. Mine has a cap to keep it clean. Tie wrapped it to the "A" arm. "Works fine, will last a long time"

Spyder Garage

Default Power outlet

I added a power outlet under the right access panel. Pull the panel cover off and plug in my tender.
    I also ran my power cord for my gps to it. I ride without it most of the time, but its plug and play when I need it.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone!

Spyder Garage

This is a pic with my setup using the power plate from Lamonster Garage. This works well for me and the installation was real simple.

Last edited by vtrider; 05-06-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I guess I should have looked first. BRP already has a battery tender pigtail all set to go. All I had to do was route it out the right side wheel well.... Nice!

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Switched or Unswitched - YOUR CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK REV 800 X View Post

Dave
    Not sure about the F3, but on the RT you can choose by using Fuse position 6 (Switched) or moving it to position 7 (non-switched). Just remember that if you leave something plugged in while the Spyder is not running it will be discharging your battery.

I put the fuse in Position 7 for the winter and plug in my Battery Tender through the power outlet (Top Storage Compartment) then put it back to Position for rYding Season

Spyder Garage

I installed SpyderPOPs Top case extender, while installing it I replaced the dual USB port inside the top case with a BRP 12V plug. I ran wires from the battery to the 12V plug. This gives me a place to plug any 12V item I want to run and my battery tender has a cigarette lighter adaptor. Going to mount the USB plug I took out of the top case in the left speaker grill, now I can power my GoPro. Will extend the BRP Connect from glovebox to the handlebar using LAMonstors extender USB cable and mount it to the F3 spyder cuff to power my phone. That's the plan, only have the 12V plug changed out in the top case and powered so far.
    2018 White F3 Limited