Spyder Garage

Default Closing fuel door/cap

So this seems like a no-brainer but...
    just picked up a left over 16 F3L and closing the gas cap seems ridiculous. With the key still inserted in the cap and the little flip-up tab sticking up, how the HECK do people push down on the cap to click it closed? This seems like a ridiculous design to me so far. Is there a trick im unaware of?

Spyder Garage

Yes, the trick is to put some silicone on the mechanism. It will work very easy then. I had a real hard time closing mine until I found this little post-it-note of information. Cindy

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks. It just seems like its super hard to push down to get it to click. Are you actually pushing down on the key to close it? I cant see any other way. Just doesnt feel right pushing down on the key itself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Thanks. It just seems like its super hard to push down to get it to click. Are you actually pushing down on the key to close it? I cant see any other way. Just doesnt feel right pushing down on the key itself.
    Use the silicon spray on a rag, and wipe all over to let it slip closed.

What I do is using the index and middle finger of both hands on each side of the key. Push down, and then hold down with one hand while using the other to turn the key, Do not put too much force on the key, so it will not break.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post

I've been told NEVER, EVER push on the key. And of course, I guess I worked the "newness" out of it BEFORE I heard of the "silicone trick." The only way I could get it closed was to (while sitting) apply pressure on both sides of the cap/lid/whatever with my thumbs. In other words, both sides, near the front, in the area closest to your crotch. After opening it, flapping it and shutting it numerous times, it finally eased up and now closes and secures easily. I hope this helps, but it is VERY frustrating.
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

I didn't know about this either. Thanks for the info I will try it.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Use the silicon spray on a rag, and wipe all over to let it slip closed.

What I do is using the index and middle finger of both hands on each side of the key. Push down, and then hold down with one hand while using the other to turn the key, Do not put too much force on the key, so it will not break.
    I agree with Blue Star.
    I wipe silicone over the rubber gasket and push on the cap with one hane while turning key with other never push on key.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips, pushing on the key def feels wrong. The prob for me is that im slightly disabled and my fingers are kind of weak. Normally i would just push down with my palm but the awkward design of this cap doesnt allow for that. Between the key having to stay in the cap and the little tab that lifts up, theres no real estate left to push on.
    I will put some silicone on the rubber seal and hope that makes it slip closed easier. I had a good long look last night and noticed that there is a carrier for that seal which is spring loaded. Maybe over time those springs will break in and cause less resistance.

Spyder Garage

After 20,000 miles mine wouldn't close one day.
    After fiddling with it for a few minutes with no luck, I opened my right access panel and pulled out the dipstick and put a few drops of oil around the gasket mechanism.
    Has worked great ever since and never even had to get off the seat to fix it.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sprayed ours with some WD40 and press down with both thumbs.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just throw these four guys in a trailer, and keep them close by!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We have had several customers complain of this problem. Its actually the sliding portion of the latch mechanism that is stiff. Open the cap and spray the latch with some good teflon based lubricant like triflow. When closing, turn the key to the left like you are trying to remove it until it hits the stop. Now let go of the key and flip the cap down. Press on the cap on either side of the key. NOT ON THE KEY. When it latches you will see the key turn a bit to the left on its own and you can pull it out. The dealer really should have lubricated the latch as part of assembly but from your other posts its obvious the dealer prep was lacking on many fronts.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Putting a bit of lithium or WD40 on the seal helps IMMENSLY. I did this a few months ago and enjoyed the pleasure of easy closing until a few days ago. Gonna add a tad of lube today and take the ryde back out. My thoughts