Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default IBA ride 48 states plus Alaska in 10 days

This year IBA ride we are going to try all 48 states plus Alaska in 10 days. I have already done all 48 states in 10 days on two wheels. This will be the first time I am pulling a camper behind the bike on an IBA ride. The tracking will not start till May 19th on my way to the start We are starting at Wisconsin line.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...c59009ea94f614

Spyder Garage

Whooo hooo Kudo's and best wishes on your 48 States Plus! IBA ride!

I plan to do my first IBA SS1K on July 5th with the IBR RIDE IN SADDLESORE 1000 group coming up to meet the 2017 Iron Butt Rally riders at the end of their 11k in 11 days.

This IBR RIDE IN SS1K merges together SW of Chicago where several starting points gradually join in, crosses Iowa, up to the SE corner of SD, then back to SC MN and up to end on the 5th (or 2 AMish on the 6th) in Faribault, MN about a block from my home.
    I've already got my reverse leg approved to meet with that group at their lunch stop on the 5th, and ride the remainder of the route back home.
    I'm hoping at least one other buddy from here will be joining me, and we'll be headed up to the end of the 10 day IBR to greet the folks finishing in Minneapolis.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

First thing. Thank You for your Service. The motorcycle touring forum is a good place to go for a long-distance riding information.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Best wishes but 1000 miles a day for 11 days would leave me monkey butt and crying. My max to day has been 750 miles on another ryde and that left me exhausted. Good Luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CMA/IBA_rider View Post
    This year IBA ride we are going to try all 48 states plus Alaska in 10 days. I have already done all 48 states in 10 days on two wheels. This will be the first time I am pulling a camper behind the bike on an IBA ride. The tracking will not start till May 19th on my way to the start We are starting at Wisconsin line.

That may be a nice achievement but kinda defeats enjoying the pleasure of scenery I guess
    Im the "stop & smell the roses type" But I have always found more to enjoy along the way, most are not listed as tourist spots, yes the trips get longer & so do the stories about the trips. Here's one particular unexpected find was closed for season when I was there, but I personally am fascinated with caves & even tho I could not take regular tour I found something to come back for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Ride

WHY???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good for you!! Joe and I have thought about the 48 state trip but I'm not completely sold on the idea yet.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Good luck on your ride. My max these days is around 300 miles per day. But, it does beat sitting at home wishing that I was riding.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

8500 miles Wisconsin to Hyder Alaska907.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

8500 miles Wisconsin to Hyder Alaska907.jpg
    I was wondering how you'd get Alaska into the mix. I can tell you from experience, the rid from Montana through Banf and Jasper will be slow, and probably bumper-to-bumper and that route goes through the national parks. But the good news is that you'll have some magnificent views while you're sitting in traffic.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kickinbar View Post
    WHY???
    I can't speak for CMA/IMB_Rider but for me this there are several advantages:

Firstly I'm happiest when I'm in that perfect state of oneness with the bike, road and landscape. Bfromla mentions 'defeats enjoying the pleasure of scenery' but to me its the opposite, I can vividly remember the landscapes from rides I did years ago far more than other trips. I also remember the smells of peat in the Wicklow Mountains in Ireland, crushed lemons in on the road in Southern France, resin in the forests in Finland or the salt and heather of Cornwall in the UK.

Secondly before proper jobs and families a mate and I would do casual work for a few months to save up money and then take long trips on our bikes until the money ran out. However those days are long gone and the amount of riding time I get now is minimal. I also can't even use my Spyder for commuting now as I have to give my daughter and two friends a lift to school. For that reason when I do get a chance I want to fit in as much riding as possible. Endurance Rallies do exactly that, and with the added advantage that the pre-planning involved helps extend the enjoyment to times when you can't ride.

Thirdly I don't enjoy what I call 'Sunny Sunday Rides'. To me a journey has to have a clear purpose and ideally a deadline. This is why I sometimes struggle with organized group rides as they stop way too often for my liking:-)
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 05-06-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

More power to you, CMA/IBA_rider! I don't know how on earth you're going to accomplish it, but I won't say you can't!

I'm looking at an average of around 400/day to go to Homecoming and working hard to psych myself to do that!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many miles per day do you estimate you'll do? How many hours of sleep per day?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    How many miles per day do you estimate you'll do? How many hours of sleep per day?
    His ride is 8500 mile that's 850 per day average, If he stays with it he can do that and still get sleep, That is limiting time at gas stops and any other stops he may make.
    My self I set the end of day destination and ride for that destination if it 900 miles its gas stops only it its 300 will that a screw off day. Tail of the Dragon to Boise ID 3 days, Boise ID to Houma LA 2 1/2 days, New York to Boise 3 days, Anchorage AK to Seattle 3 days (this one was harder because of the Speed limit) I set the Criuse at 75 and stop again for fuel. The ride up to Alaska took 7 days but I had 7 days till the wife flew in so I took my sweet old time like a side trip to Chicken (Everyone need to stop at Chicken) spent a couple hours looking at the Sign Post Forest
    All in all it he stays with it he will do just what he sets out to do.

I wish him will on this one.
    PS on my trips I ride Sun up to Sun Down ( the Alaska trip was in mid June so much for the Son Down part)
    PSS Some like to smell the Roses I like to Smell the Lemons ( Lemon Pledge on my wind shield)
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Default IBA ride

Anno1, As much as you and Joe ride you could probably do it in reverse. (gear that is)

Spyder Garage

First three days we are going to push it hard. We have quite a few plans stops along the way to take pictures. And enjoy riding Wolf Creek Pass on our way to Four Corners. Everything set up to get the back tire changed on David's Honda. Time management is a lot to do with long distance endurance riding.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 49

If you include Alaska, wouldn't that be 49, states?
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 05-09-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I was wondering how you'd get Alaska into the mix. I can tell you from experience, the rid from Montana through Banf and Jasper will be slow, and probably bumper-to-bumper and that route goes through the national parks. But the good news is that you'll have some magnificent views while you're sitting in traffic.
    Here is Hyder AK.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Good luck, but I have never understood the 'want' to do something like this. After about 500 miles in a day I start to get tired, especially if I have been riding interstates or 400 highways here in Canada.

To me, this is a dangerous thing to do just to try to prove something to yourself, or others. You need to be so much more aware when riding a bike that you become more a danger than anything else when you start to get tired. Couple that with the high speed you will be doing and that is a recipe for problems.

I don't see any fun in something like this. I hope you take a more leisurely ride back.

Have fun.

Spyder Garage

Default stop raining on the OPs parade

Long distance riding is not for everyone, Just because one person can't ride like that doesn't mean someone else can't.
    I see people saying I only Ride 300,400,500 or anywhere in between, Let just take the 300 mile day, I'm up early Fueled up and ready to ride open road speed limit is 75, I hit the road set the cruise at 75 ride till I need fuel Say 150 miles stop fuel short break and do another 150 that 300 miles If you started out say 7:30 A.M. it is now only around noon. Is that the end of the days ride not for some of us and we may still have 8 + hours of daylight left.
    When I ride long distance I do it just that way ride tank to tank with a short break between but I do that all day long so 750 miles can be done in about 11 hours and a few time I have just did another two tanks some time around 15 hours still give me time to eat and get some sleep before doing it again the next day.

That is just when I want to get somewhere other times I may spend most of the day looking for some roses to smell
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Here, Here Large1, I have two to three planned IBA events this year to get started, have already started building up my long distance stamina, why, BECAUSE I think I CAN! And I'm doing it with a buddy who's always wanted to do one as well. Our final test run will be the SmackDab Summer Solstice run on Jun 24th, then one a month after that... I am looking forward to them, all of them are in areas I've driven many a time in trucks and well as on bikes. BECAUSE I THINK I CAN! won't know till I try.
    I've heard some folks ONLY ride on sunny days too, what an adventure they're missing.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

We have changed the route a little bit. Going into Canada from Washington. We are doing the flower sniffing thing coming back home. Going up to Watson Lake Yukon. Staying in Canada all the way back to Ontario. Coming back into the states in the UP of Michigan. Long-distance riding is not for everybody. It doesn't make you less of a biker. My two wheel friend and I are truck drivers. We make our living with our drivers license. We do not run crazy. A lot of fun of these rides of this magnitude is the planning. We have been planning this trip for a year. We have been getting our bikes ready and the campers we are pulling all winter long. Now it's time to do it. You can follow us on our spot Walla page. The link will not start up in till the 19th

Spyder Garage

Looking forward to following your ride!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

We are running about 5 hours behind schedule. Hit one of New York's speed bumps in the middle of the Highway and broke the tongue off for the trailer. I got it fixed and now we're in a traffic jam going into New York City. Good thing no rain. Jerry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder why you started on the west side of NY state?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)