Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Flat Bed AluminumTrailer for Hauling a Spyder

During Spyderfest in Springfield, I noticed several very nice aluminum flatbed trailers that people were using to haul their Spyders on. I am very interested in the makes and suppliers of these trailers and cost. The pictures below are some examples.

please don't reply with just ride it, as there are many personal reasons that people might have for trailering their Spyder.

IMG_1872.jpgIMG_1873.jpg

Spyder Garage

I saw the same view at Spyderfest, however I am looking for a trailer to haul 2 Spyders. To see member not worry about the weather because they trailered their bikes was something new.

Spyder Garage

I have an Aluma 7210bt, with the 24 inch side rails, and a bifold ramp, the front section of the side rail is solid, think "rock guard". Cost was around $2500.

john

Spyder Garage

Do you have a link as I am having trouble locating the model you quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I have an Aluma 7210bt, with the 24 inch side rails, and a bifold ramp, the front section of the side rail is solid, think "rock guard". Cost was around $2500.

john

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This will get you to the Aluma website (I have one of their small trailers to tow behind my bike). You'll have to click on the "Find a Dealer" button to find a local dealer.

https://www.alumaklm.com/
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Featherlite also makes some really nice aluminum trailers...

...if you want to haul your bike; rather than ride it !
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailers

H & H Trailers have some good aluminum trailers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gazunni View Post
    Do you have a link as I am having trouble locating the model you quoted.
    I'm thinking the "bt" indicates the bifold tailgate, Aluma lists the trailer as a utility model.

john

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRAILERING SPYDERS

Quote Originally Posted by archibald609 View Post
    I saw the same view at Spyderfest, however I am looking for a trailer to haul 2 Spyders. To see member not worry about the weather because they trailered their bikes was something new.
    The Spyder is an ALL - WEATHER - VEHICLE ..... if wasn't it would come with a warning " do not ride in the rain ". If the trailer has some type of splash guard in the front even a small one your better off than driving it , imho .... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRAILERS

During Spyderfest in Springfield, I noticed several very nice aluminum flatbed trailers that people were using to haul their Spyders on. I am very interested in the makes and suppliers of these trailers and cost. The pictures below are some examples.

please don't reply with just ride it, as there are many personal reasons that people might have for trailering their Spyder.

IMG_1872.jpgIMG_1873.jpg
    , sometimes you have to trailer because it's the intelligent thing to do ...... When you get your trailer, you only NEED one H.D. rachet strap over the rear tire ( in-line with tread ) and some wheel chocks to safely keep the Spyder in place. ......I've towed mine for many, many thousands of miles ( with two accidents ) and the Spyder never moved. After other folks read this they will post PICs of this set-up I'm sure ..... The H.D. straps can be found on E-bay under Discount Ramps ( they sell their stock for less on E-bay ) I'm talking 4000 lb + load strength per strap ...... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-05-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

The spyder set-up that mike is talking about works. My 2012 spyder was on the trailer, it did not move.

The strap that goes over the center of the rear tire, and under the spyder and secures to the front of the trailer. The strap does not touch your tupperware.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default First Picture looks like my Droptail trailer

Your first attached picture looks like our Droptail trailer. BTW...we should have used it this time to Spyderfest...we rode our Spyder...wish we would have trailered it on that trip!

Here's some info on the droptail trailer from a previous post.....it is a steel trailer that folds and has aluminum decking:

Previous Posting on our trailer:

Get the dimensions and literature: http://www.droptailtrailers.com/

I use it for EITHER the Spyder or the Gold Wing. I must use the center position for the Gold Wing as it will not fit on the left or right side of the trailer due to length. We trailer our 2014 RT Limited with no problem with this trailer and it "noses" up in the V part of the trailer against our 20" stone guard (which is optional). The 4 pictures added at bottom were just a couple months ago....note that I do NOT transport with the cover on it. I only cover the Spyder when leaving it out overnight! Also, all the tie down straps were removed at this time as it was parked.

We use a Droptail trailer. I really like that it folds and stores upright in the garage and NO ramps needed - built in. Works well for the Spyder with the low clearance. The back of the trailer hydraulically lowers and the built in rear gate folds down to extend the ramp portion. Easy to use. Our Spyder RT just fits and the nose of the Spyder fits in the V part of the front of the trailer. Not a lot of spare room, but works well. The Spyder fills the whole trailer even though this is a "two up" motorcycle trailer. A bonus for us is that our Gold Wing can be hauled on this trailer (with the use of the wheel chock that is included with the trailer) as well - however, only one bike at a time (unless you have two - 2 wheel motorcycles that are "short" enough). There is a standard 8 inch stone guard and an optional 20" stone guard. I did add the 20" stone guard on our trailer. Also, we purchased an optional spare tire which bolts to the bottom of the trailer. It has a steel frame with an aluminum deck with lots of tie down points!

Here's some info on the model number and a few pics: Drop - Tail "Two - Up" Cruiser / Sport Bike Trailer, model number: 03-DCT2200-02

Good luck on your choice of trailers - there are a lot of good trailers out there that work!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 05-05-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may want to consider a tilt bed version of the trailer manufacturer makes. I know Aluma has that option.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I too used a buddys Aluma and discovered there were many different Aluma models at Spyderfest, mine had the single tail ramp, and I needed to use some 2x4's in front of the ramp to drive my front tires up onto, to keep my Frunk from catching on the ramp, it worked but was a pain. Get the bifold ramp if possible. The bed on mine was 6ft wide x 10 long. and that fit the bike, tool box and room fore and aft for tie downs, etc.

Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default kendon stand ups rock

https://www.kendonusa.com/product/tr...cycle-trailer/
    however
    they say they accommodate the spyder but I would check the width carefully
    I have used these trailer for my regular bikes and they are fantastic.
    Last edited by rudym; 05-06-2017 at 07:19 AM. Reason: clarity

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Jim&Teresa;1254605]Your first attached picture looks like our Droptail trailer. BTW...we should have used it this time to Spyderfest...we rode our Spyder...wish we would have trailered it on that trip! [QUOTE]

That's how were felt in 2016 AFTER we got soaked when we got through St.Louis, even in our rain gear. After that experience, I purchased a used Ironhorse Wide Body Trailer from the factory in November. They delivered it in mid-December. It really pained me to trailer on a beautiful Tuesday before Spyderfest. So glad to have had the Spyder secure in the trailer when the vandalism happened @the BWCH+, and as we made our way home on Friday. We had 7 hours of varying degrees of showers/thunderstorms.
    Last edited by MikeT; 05-06-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I use a 6x10 aluminum trailer with a wood deck and rear ramp. Works great and are readily available from most any trailer dealer and range in price from $1200 to $1600. I got ours for about $1400. I use a single ratchet strap over the top of each wheel to hold it down.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There was one for sale in the WTB section I believe that held two Spyders

Spyder Garage

One of my trailers is an ALUMA UT-10. I like the ramp which slides in underneath the rear of trailer. It provides much better gas mileage than the ones with fold up ramp

which generates a lot of wind resistance. Have also had a 14 foot Featherlite. Nice trailer but has the fold up ramp not the stowaway. I use the ALUMA UT-10 to haul my Can

AM Maverick SS. I have a LOOK inclosed trailer to haul my Spyder. Also haul Spyder in my FOREST RIVER WORK and PLAY 25WAB (30 foot) Toy Hauler. Last but not lest, If

I do not want to haul my Spyder I ride with my RT 622 trailer in Tow. Can't have too many trailers!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

i have a 6x10 triton utility trailer. its an-"aut tilt" model. only weighs
    500 #. all aluminum. priced close to the aluma trailers.
    Last edited by irvin48; 05-12-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    i have a 6x10 triton utility trailer. its an-"aut tilt" model. only weighs
    500 #. all aluminum. priced close to the alumina trailers.
    Also a good trailer. No ramp required. Ride on and it locks down, unlock and back off. Same as a snowmobile trailer. I had one for Snowmobiles and my Gold Wing.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    One of my trailers is an ALUMA UT-10. I like the ramp which slides in underneath the rear of trailer. It provides much better gas mileage than the ones with fold up ramp
    A stowaway ramp never acts like a giant sail: cutting your fuel mileage by scary amounts...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info and the pictures. We have a trailer hitch on the back of the Spyder. Will the rear gate still close with the hitch on?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    Your first attached picture looks like our Droptail trailer. BTW...we should have used it this time to Spyderfest...we rode our Spyder...wish we would have trailered it on that trip!

Here's some info on the droptail trailer from a previous post.....it is a steel trailer that folds and has aluminum decking:

Previous Posting on our trailer:

Get the dimensions and literature: http://www.droptailtrailers.com/

I use it for EITHER the Spyder or the Gold Wing. I must use the center position for the Gold Wing as it will not fit on the left or right side of the trailer due to length. We trailer our 2014 RT Limited with no problem with this trailer and it "noses" up in the V part of the trailer against our 20" stone guard (which is optional). The 4 pictures added at bottom were just a couple months ago....note that I do NOT transport with the cover on it. I only cover the Spyder when leaving it out overnight! Also, all the tie down straps were removed at this time as it was parked.

We use a Droptail trailer. I really like that it folds and stores upright in the garage and NO ramps needed - built in. Works well for the Spyder with the low clearance. The back of the trailer hydraulically lowers and the built in rear gate folds down to extend the ramp portion. Easy to use. Our Spyder RT just fits and the nose of the Spyder fits in the V part of the front of the trailer. Not a lot of spare room, but works well. The Spyder fills the whole trailer even though this is a "two up" motorcycle trailer. A bonus for us is that our Gold Wing can be hauled on this trailer (with the use of the wheel chock that is included with the trailer) as well - however, only one bike at a time (unless you have two - 2 wheel motorcycles that are "short" enough). There is a standard 8 inch stone guard and an optional 20" stone guard. I did add the 20" stone guard on our trailer. Also, we purchased an optional spare tire which bolts to the bottom of the trailer. It has a steel frame with an aluminum deck with lots of tie down points!

Here's some info on the model number and a few pics: Drop - Tail "Two - Up" Cruiser / Sport Bike Trailer, model number: 03-DCT2200-02

Good luck on your choice of trailers - there are a lot of good trailers out there that work!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails

Spyder Garage

Default Excellent Question!

Thanks for the info and the pictures. We have a trailer hitch on the back of the Spyder. Will the rear gate still close with the hitch on?
    That is an excellent question. We used our trailer a few times last year with our 2014 RTL without a hitch! We now have a hitch on the bike. I have not had it on the droptail with the hitch on the Spyder yet. I will have to check this out!

Worst case is, remove the hitch which is not too hard to do.

When do you need to know this as we can get our trailer out next week and check it for you if that would help....it will take a little bit to do, but am willing to check for you and would like to know myself what options I have. I'm thinking if I put on my Spyder RTL on the droptail trailer, then I don't need my hitch on as will not be pulling my trailer with the bike! You'll need a much bigger hauling trailer if you want to haul both the bike and its trailer.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I am starting to look for a trailer in the next month, so whenever you can give it a whirl, it would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    That is an excellent question. We used our trailer a few times last year with our 2014 RTL without a hitch! We now have a hitch on the bike. I have not had it on the droptail with the hitch on the Spyder yet. I will have to check this out!

Worst case is, remove the hitch which is not too hard to do.

When do you need to know this as we can get our trailer out next week and check it for you if that would help....it will take a little bit to do, but am willing to check for you and would like to know myself what options I have. I'm thinking if I put on my Spyder RTL on the droptail trailer, then I don't need my hitch on as will not be pulling my trailer with the bike! You'll need a much bigger hauling trailer if you want to haul both the bike and its trailer.