Thread: Canada trip

Spyder Garage

Default Canada trip

I went to see my insurance agent yesterday and we got talking about going to Canada. He ask if I had my temporary Canadian proof of insurance form. What's that? It's a form that your insurance company gives you to show when crossing into Canada. It lists approximate travel dates and that you have automotive insurance that is good in Canada. Isn't my insurance card good for that? No, with the new security rules you need this form. You get it from your agent. They fill it out and it is free.
    Just a heads up on something I did not know and hopefully it will save you some time and grief when crossing the border.
    Ride safe.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've been to Canada many times and have never been asked for proof of insurance. The only exception is a snowmobile and when you buy your provincial, permit insurance is included in the price. Nothing to be concerned about.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Must be really new, was there a year ago and didn't need that.
    Thanks for the heads up, I will check with AAA before I go again.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Anytime you leave the United States for a foreign country you should get a proof of insurance card from you company.

If for some reason you had an accident you might be liable for all damages out of your own pocket.
    The card doesn't cost anything.

This in not something new I've gotten a proof of insurance card for over thirty years.

2015 Red Pearl RT-S
    EXO2 heated Vest/Gloves
    BAJARONS sway bar
    TricLEDS side markers
    Xenon Depot LED Head & Fog Lights\
    Missing Belt Guard
    Bump Skid
    M2 Shocks front/rear
    Russel Day Long heated seat

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know...

Better safe than sorry...with all the huff and puff with borders and regulations of late it is well worth the call to find out and get the form before you travel. Be a bummer to be at the border and not be able to cross...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Don't you guys get an insurance card from your insurance company each year? I get one for each vehicle and it has to be on the vehicle in case you get stopped by the cops and are asked for proof of insurance. If you don't have one then you get a ticket for failure to show proof of insurance. Maybe that is why your insurance agent brought it up?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Don't you guys get an insurance card from your insurance company each year? I get one for each vehicle and it has to be on the vehicle in case you get stopped by the cops and are asked for proof of insurance. If you don't have one then you get a ticket for failure to show proof of insurance. Maybe that is why your insurance agent brought it up?
    I think some insurance in USA are only good hear to give customers a lower rate. My dad payed a low rate on his 67 Mustang GT because only had insured for summer months.
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

From Geico web site:

Proof of Auto Insurance – In order to provide proof of auto insurance at the border, your standard GEICO insurance ID card will work. Canadian ID cards are not necessary if you're visiting Canada as a tourist.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Canadian non resident

I have gotten them for years on my sleds, truck and trailer. The Canadian non resident card is free from your insurance company. I never had to use it but better safe than sorry! Thanks for this post I forgot about. I will stop next week they print them on the spot.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default I called GEICO and asked...

They said I was OK with the insurance card that they send to you to keep with your spyder. I'm going with that when I travel to Canada.