Spyder Garage

Default Shop Side panel removal

So got the call today that shop couldn't remove one of the bolts holding on left side panel as it was supposedly cross threaded or some other issue. They had to drill out the bolt and now some parts are on order. Not exactly sure what but have to wait a week. It is covered under warranty but an irritant none the less. Couple questions
    1 when bike is assembled at the dealership do they put the panels on or do they come installed from the factory? Curious if shop or factory buggered it up
    2 have others found the bolts difficult to remove? Just wondering for the future if any hints

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    So got the call today that shop couldn't remove one of the bolts holding on left side panel as it was supposedly cross threaded or some other issue. They had to drill out the bolt and now some parts are on order. Not exactly sure what but have to wait a week. It is covered under warranty but an irritant none the less. Couple questions
    1 when bike is assembled at the dealership do they put the panels on or do they come installed from the factory? Curious if shop or factory buggered it up
    2 have others found the bolts difficult to remove? Just wondering for the future if any hints
    Sometimes the thread lock is too good and glues the brass insert to the screw. It they use hand tools the first time removed, typically no issues. If they use a powered driver the insert can spin free in the plastic.

Or when assembled new, the screw was crossed.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

At SpyderFest, SpyderPops had the same problem with my wife's F3-T. I don' remember exactly how he fixed it (plastic weld?)
    I spoke with a BRP rep who was at Pitbull's. I specifically asked if this was covered under warranty. He did not give me a definitive answer. however, he thought it would be covered if the issue arose upon removal of the screw. I will talk to my dealer and go from there.

Spyder Garage

Its one of those items that is hard to determine the original cause but its usually from the bolt getting cross threaded in the soft brass insert. If BRP is willing to replace the part the insert is in with a new one then great.

If its on your nickle, there are time serts to repair the thread stronger than new. Have had to do a few. The side panels on the F3 are a bit trickier to install than the other bikes and the smaller (M5) bolts easier to cross thread. We only hand install those 4 bolts on each side for this reason. No power tools for install.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Its one of those items that is hard to determine the original cause but its usually from the bolt getting cross threaded in the soft brass insert. If BRP is willing to replace the part the insert is in with a new one then great.

If its on your nickle, there are time serts to repair the thread stronger than new. Have had to do a few. The side panels on the F3 are a bit trickier to install than the other bikes and the smaller (M5) bolts easier to cross thread. We only hand install those 4 bolts on each side for this reason. No power tools for install.
    Good news is that it is being covered on warranty. So is it the insert that is likely being replaced?

Spyder Garage

Good news is that it is being covered on warranty. So is it the insert that is likely being replaced?
    No,
    BRP will replace the part the insert is in.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Let me clarify. The rep did not say it will be a covered issue. He equivocated. It "might" be covered if it happened upon removal. It would not be covered if it happened when screwed in. Sorry, I didn't intend to mislead.

Spyder Garage

The thread locker can be pretty thick.
    Lamonster did a video on this very subject. The F3 lineup is prone to trouble with this very issue and he recommended removing the thread locker from the screws. I did just that the first time I removed the panels and now there is no problems.

Neil (formerly from Edmonton)
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post
    The thread locker can be pretty thick.
    Lamonster did a video on this very subject. The F3 lineup is prone to trouble with this very issue and he recommended removing the thread locker from the screws. I did just that the first time I removed the panels and now there is no problems.

Neil (formerly from Edmonton)
    Do you have a link to the video. I can't seem to find it anywhere

Spyder Garage

Mine were extremely tight the first time I removed them but have been fine since. I'm careful not to overtighten them when refitting.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

TXSpyderGirl's F3T had the same issue. Seems that a tech at PB got a little over zealous with an impact driver
    and cross threaded both bolts on the left hand side of the bike. One was totally munged up (lucky I got it off)
    and the other was "just" cross threaded.

I had to drill out both brass inserts and put in a couple BMW squeeze nutserts and added JB Weld for added security.

Brass nuts are very susceptible to cross threading, and if someone is in a rush it's easy to do.

Was not a happy camper since the bike was 3 weeks old.

and no, you just can't buy the brass inserts, you need to purchase the entire plastic piece.

Spyder Garage

I just ran a die over the screws and a tap in the threads to clean them

Spyder Garage

Do you have a link to the video. I can't seem to find it anywhere
    Here you go:

https://www.facebook.com/lamonster.s...4993944210542/

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The side panels are assembled at factory. The only thing that dealer assembles is putting wheels on and hooking up battery cables and getting engine running and programmed with BUDS2 system.
    The new locktite that factory is using is BLUE in colour and the factory is usung too much causing bolts to not be removed easy at dealership.
    The dealership I use heats up the bolts to be removed with a micro butane torch to remove bolts. If the bolts are not heated up prior to removal the bolt heads are usually stripped out

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    The side panels are assembled at factory. The only thing that dealer assembles is putting wheels on and hooking up battery cables and getting engine running and programmed with BUDS2 system.
    Unless of course you get the PitBull Powersports package, and they remove the panels to apply carbon fiber. Trust me PB removed the panels.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasMule View Post
    Unless of course you get the PitBull Powersports package, and they remove the panels to apply carbon fiber. Trust me PB removed the panels.

Cannot use power tools to remove bolts and screws too much power will strip and break parts. JMHO
    Last edited by Marker; 05-11-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Cost me over $200 to replace the inner panel because I broke the corner off trying to get the screw out of the brass fitting. Very poor design. Add that to the other poor designs like the need for a 2up shock to replace the useless stock shock, and the idler pulley to eliminate the vibration that should have been eliminated in the first place.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Cannot use power tools to remove bolts and screws too much power will strip and break parts. JMHO
    I couldn't agree with you more, but you obviously haven't spent a lot of time in the service area of a motorcycle dealerships. (especially BMW dealerships)

Small impact drivers save techs a couple minutes removing panel screws. I don't mind so much the removal of the screws, it's when
    they start using them to install the screws. Bad things can happen instantaneously.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasMule View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more, but you obviously haven't spent a lot of time in the service area of a motorcycle dealerships. (especially BMW dealerships)

Small impact drivers save techs a couple minutes removing panel screws. I don't mind so much the removal of the screws, it's when
    they start using them to install the screws. Bad things can happen instantaneously.
    No ,I have not I work on my own stuff that way I can do it my way