Spyder Garage

Exclamation Shipping a Spyder

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of purchasing a 2014 RTL, and I'm needing to ship it from Atlanta to Chicago. After reviewing a lot of threads on here regarding shipping, I see that many people have shipped similar distances or longer, for around $300-400. The quotes I'm getting are in the $800-900 range. My quotes are coming from uShip, which is what most people on this site recommended.

My question is why are my quotes coming in so much more expensive? I did choose a covered shipment, which I assumed would increase the cost some. I didn't expect it to more than double the cost though. What are the risk of shipping uncovered? Has anyone done that for a long distance?

All help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mello

Spyder Garage

I think the cost depends as to whether or not you are on the way to another destination or out of the way. I paid $425 for an enclosed trailer from Tampa to Indianapolis - the driver runs a normal route from FL to Michigan so I was on the way for him. My driver was Jason @ Rebel Recovery if that helps any - you might check to see if he is still a driver on UShip. Also - I left mine out for bid for a week and the bids started at $800 - so you may need to give it a week for them to come down on the price.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In August of 2015 I used UShip to get mine from Central Florida to NE Ohio and I paid about $425 + or - in an enclosed trailer.

They also had a small car in the trailer and these guys were returning from Florida to their home in Indiana, so like someone mentioned earlier, it is a matter of their routing.

Also, I would make sure that you put it up for auction as opposed to using the suggestions that they give you. Mine were initially higher, then I put it up for auction, there were a lot more bids and you could see their equipment, reviews and insurance. Good luck!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Fly down and ride it back.. or maybe find someone to do that for you.
    Steer clear of freightquote dot com... they are scammers.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Have to agree with you here! Think of the fun and the scenery you will have on the way. By the time you arrive home you will have that spyder dialed in!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MelloMe View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm in the process of purchasing a 2014 RTL, and I'm needing to ship it from Atlanta to Chicago. After reviewing a lot of threads on here regarding shipping, I see that many people have shipped similar distances or longer, for around $300-400. The quotes I'm getting are in the $800-900 range. My quotes are coming from uShip, which is what most people on this site recommended.

My question is why are my quotes coming in so much more expensive? I did choose a covered shipment, which I assumed would increase the cost some. I didn't expect it to more than double the cost though. What are the risk of shipping uncovered? Has anyone done that for a long distance?

Mello
    Swing a deal with Pitbull Powersports Springfield MO, (In less you have already committed to a deal of course)_ and I will deliver it for free.... I will be heading up to Chicago in the next few days anyway and can bring it right to your front door if you like.. XMan..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Although I do like this idea better....

Spyder Garage

Default Ryde it....

That is a 716 mile trip about 10 hours drive. For me a days ryde and about 100.00 in gas and food. But if not possible then the search is on. They will all start at the highest they think they can get but in time will come down. Ususally they transport more than one and do not want to go half loaded so if they can't fill it up will come down on the price...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Mello
    When I bought mine I rented a traier and hauled it myself. The traier rental was $45. I would not ride it home unless you are familiar with a Spyder. Get use to it first. Enjoy your new ride. I love mine. I just returned from Spyderfest.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default My shipping experience

While in Florida for the winter I purchased a 2015 Spyder RT. I decided to ship it back to New York so I could enjoy it for the summer months. I called numerous shippers and I decided on ID Transport. A 50% deposit was sent on 2/27/16 to reserve a spot. The dimensions of the Spyder were given at this time. On 3/29/16 I was told that he would be able to pick up the Spyder in 12 to 15 days. On 4/4/16 I was told the Spyder would be picked up on4/13/16. My wife and I made all of our departure preparations. The house was secured and our vehicle was packed to be ready to go after the Spyder was loaded. On 4/13/16 we received a phone call. There was something wrong with the trailer and the Spyder could not be picked up until the next day. On 4/14/16 I received a call from the transport tdriver. He told me that he had a bike to pick up in Leesburg and he would be in my area at 5:30 PM. At 6:00PM he called back. There was a problem. The bike he picked up in Leesburg was a custom chopper that was larger than anticipated and there was not enough room for my Spyder. He told me that my Spyder could bepicked up on the next load in two weeks and I would receive a $100.00 refund for any inconvenience. I "graciously" declined their "genenerous" offer and I have terminated our business relationship. A slick web site and a long list of positive reviews is not always the true measure of a company owner's integrity. A friend volunteered to put it on a trailer and bring it to NY. I paid him the the same amount I was going to pay a "professional".

Spyder Garage

Thank you to everyone for the awesome advice. I definitely considered flying there and driving it back myself, but I'm not an experienced rider. Things get a little tricky in those TN mountains, and I might find myself in some situations that I might not know how to handle. Plus with all of the rain we've been getting around the country, I could find myself in some unpleasant weather conditions.

Like most of you said, the prices are already starting to come down. I got one for $499 today. That's pretty good, and his reviews are good as well. I'm going to give it until tomorrow, and then make the booking.

Thanks again everyone. This is an amazing site! Hope to see you all on the road soon.

Mello

Spyder Garage

Default Try this guy

I had a 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S shipped to me last week from Naples, Fla to the Rockford, IL area for $600
    through eShip by (jrwhitesideiitransllc@outlook.com) (Jimmy Ray Whiteside). He has shipped a number of Spyders and knows his stuff.

I gave him a 3 week window from pickup to delivery so he was able to pick it up and schedule a backhaul that worked for him. The more flexibility you have the better chance of getting a good price. I also asked for an open transport which is cheaper, but got a closed transport since that is what he uses.

He also told me that if you tell him that the referral came from Bob O in Davis, Illinois that he would give anyone a discount.
    Good luck.
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Spyder Garage

The best way to learn about your new ride is to fly down there and ride it back!! I have done that 3 times.

Nothing to riding a Spyder. T.P.

Spyder Garage

Thank you to everyone for the awesome advice. I definitely considered flying there and driving it back myself, but I'm not an experienced rider. Things get a little tricky in those TN mountains, and I might find myself in some situations that I might not know how to handle. Plus with all of the rain we've been getting around the country, I could find myself in some unpleasant weather conditions.

Like most of you said, the prices are already starting to come down. I got one for $499 today. That's pretty good, and his reviews are good as well. I'm going to give it until tomorrow, and then make the booking.

Thanks again everyone. This is an amazing site! Hope to see you all on the road soon.

Mello
    I agree with you on having it shipped versus riding if you aren't an experienced Spyder rider. It is one thing to test ride a Spyder at your leisure and a different thing to ride it for many many miles at interstate speeds.

Enjoy it and we are looking forward to seeing those pics when you get it delivered .
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    The best way to learn about your new ride is to fly down there and ride it back!! I have done that 3 times.

Nothing to riding a Spyder. T.P.

It took me a day to go about 75 miles home on my first Spyder - now I ride that far to get to a meeting point before a ride.

It's easy to forget how challenging it can be when you first start riding, and how scary keeping up at 55 on the freeway is your first few times out. 750 miles for most riders I know would be two days.

The only way I would ride it myself is if I had a solid week to practice before I took it home.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

In my experience the prices can fluctuate based on a lot of things. It may just be seasonal or it could be due to demand, gas prices, carrier availability. Any number of things really. For what it's worth, I shipped one cross country last year with [link deleted - this poster is now banned!] and I'd use them again if I had to. No issues at all and they did a good job. Pretty affordable for enclosed shipping too in my estimation.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-04-2022 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Displayed hidden URL iaw Forum policy, then poster banned as spammer/scammer!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OKey View Post
    I had a 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S shipped to me last week from Naples, Fla to the Rockford, IL area for $600
    through eShip by (jrwhitesideiitransllc@outlook.com) (Jimmy Ray Whiteside). He has shipped a number of Spyders and knows his stuff.

I gave him a 3 week window from pickup to delivery so he was able to pick it up and schedule a backhaul that worked for him. The more flexibility you have the better chance of getting a good price. I also asked for an open transport which is cheaper, but got a closed transport since that is what he uses.

He also told me that if you tell him that the referral came from Bob O in Davis, Illinois that he would give anyone a discount.
    Good luck.
    I am going to have to remember that. Next year or so we plan on moving from CA to Illinois.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cramdin View Post
    In my experience the prices can fluctuate based on a lot of things. It may just be seasonal or it could be due to demand, gas prices, carrier availability. Any number of things really. For what it's worth, I shipped one cross country last year with [link deleted - this poster is now banned!] and I'd use them again if I had to. No issues at all and they did a good job. Pretty affordable for enclosed shipping too in my estimation.

. It always pays to Check the Date of the Original Post and the last few posts in a thread before replying, cos we do have quite a few threads that might go back more than 10 years or so now; let alone those that could be referring to prices that are now maybe 5+ years old...

Nb: and it sometimes reveals spammers/scammers too! Please, if you find them &/or dodgy links/hidden URL's/other suspicious details, report them/their posts immediately - you only need to click on the little triangle with an exclamation mark in the bottom left corner of their post, & then type in your concerns before submitting it so that the Mods can investigate and deal with them accordingly! It's not hard to do, and by doing this simple thing, it just might save someone else from getting caught out! And who knows, one day, it might even be you who's saved by someone who bothered to make that little bit of extra effort!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-04-2022 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Fixed link
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!