Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Another tire question

O.K. I have over 60,000 miles on the front tires my RS I have noticed little cracks down the center of the tire.

There is still plenty of tread left, do I continue to run them or change them out jtpollock

Spyder Garage

If these are the original tires? I'd say they need to be changed. Sounds like the rubber has dried out and starting to split. How did you ever get 60,000 miles on a set of tires, unless they are car tires.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dry rot...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CRACKS IN TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    O.K. I have over 60,000 miles on the front tires my RS I have noticed little cracks down the center of the tire.

There is still plenty of tread left, do I continue to run them or change them out jtpollock
    I'm pretty sure mileage has nothing to do with the cracks ...... they are more of an AGE thing ...... and a warning of BAD things to come ...... Time for new shoes my friend ...... What tires are they now ( the mileage is incredibly high even it's a Michelin ) ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Dry rot...
    Oops.
    Modern tire compounds do NOT "dry rot" under normal circumstances.

Some tiny surface checking does not necessarily mean a problem that needs to be addressed.

BUT with that many miles on them I would be changing them out at the first sign of ANYTHING unusual.

How many years did it take to put on those miles ?
    It is generally thought that motorcycle tires should be changed out at about the 5-6 year mark.......even if they LOOK brand new.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Oops.
    Modern tire compounds do NOT "dry rot" under normal circumstances.

Some tiny surface checking does not necessarily mean a problem that needs to be addressed.

BUT with that many miles on them I would be changing them out at the first sign of ANYTHING unusual.

How many years did it take to put on those miles ?
    It is generally thought that motorcycle tires should be changed out at about the 5-6 year mark.......even if they LOOK brand new.
    Thanks to all for the input I got 12,000 on the stock tires.

These are Kumo's and they still look good no uneven ware they handled the rain this morning just fine as for the time to put the miles it's around 3.5 years I ride almost every day even in the rain.

The PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) gets so bad if I don't ride my wife tells me to go for a ride and my rider are one to two hundred miles that just me... I really enjoy my Spyder .jtpollock
    Maybe some new shoes are in order...

Very Active Member redneck diva's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just changed mine all the way around on my RT Limited #25,213 miles
    Redneck Diva

Member of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club Chapter #213--
    Central Georgia
    Proud PGR rider

Spyder Garage

Default Tires!

If they were mine I'd change them. At that amount of milage they have paid for themselves and they have had a lot of flexing going down the road, so they may be suffering from fatigue despite the apparent lack of wear. Age is another factor even with low mileage if that were the case. And running tires to the point of failure could be deadly!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Going to get New tries more than likely another set of Falken's 175/65r 14 82H these are only rated at 40,000 so they should be good.

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE CHANGE

Quote Originally Posted by redneck diva View Post
    I just changed mine all the way around on my RT Limited #25,213 miles
    ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Going to get New tries more than likely another set of Falken's 175/65r 14 82H these are only rated at 40,000 so they should be good.
    What tire are you running on the rear? Who near Castle Rock will mount a rear tire?
    Bryan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    What tire are you running on the rear? Who near Castle Rock will mount a rear tire?
    The Discount tire guy told me they would mount them This is a fires for me. In the past I used THE BLOODY KNUCKEL GARAGE
    Troy is really busy so it hard to get in so I'm going to try Discount I am also using RIDE-ON and the Balancer it was $47 and change
    but I don't want weights taped to my wheels and I don't think the car tire weight would be any good either... jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Default RIDE - ON

The Discount tire guy told me they would mount them This is a fires for me. In the past I used THE BLOODY KNUCKEL GARAGE
    Troy is really busy so it hard to get in so I'm going to try Discount I am also using RIDE-ON and the Balancer it was $47 and change
    but I don't want weights taped to my wheels and I don't think the car tire weight would be any good either... jtpollock
    The last thing Lamont had to say about " RIDE-ON " was, when He used it .....it didn't work , He still got a flat ..... ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Getting my fronts changed at 14,000 miles. Cupping bad.
    mtbear

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info

Bryan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

GOOD MORNING, I just got my new front tires there Nankang Cross Sport 175/65 R14 could no longer find the directional Falcon I just took off.

Discount mounted my new tires and they put the ride-on in for me.
    I was not to happy the way the ride-on came as it started to set up in the tub, the tire guy just keep working till he got it all in.

40 miles to work this morning the balance was so good will see how they last jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Default Balancer question

Does everyone recommend Ride-on and the balancer installed when changing front tires?

Spyder Garage

Default RIDE-ON

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    Does everyone recommend Ride-on and the balancer installed when changing front tires?
    NOT Lamont ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Ride-On IS the balancer as well as puncture sealant. You don't want to use Ride-On AND the Centramatic balancers. If you are using centramatic balancers and want puncture protection use the Amerseal Lamont recommends. If you are not using the centramatics and want both balancing and puncture you can use Ride-On.

Yes, Lamont no longer recommend Ride-On for punctures because someone still got a flat. I'd have to see the tire to see where the puncture was but what I learned is the Ride-On accumulates in the very center of the tire tread, not lined across the whole tread. So, if you get a puncture in the center 1/3 or so of the tread I would suspect Ride-On would seal puncture but if you get puncture toward the outer edges of the tread it won't seal because there is no material there. On the balancing side, I think if you ride often it works well. If it sits a week or more at a time between ride you will get that thunking while it redistributes.

I went to the centramatics and and debating whether I want to add Amerseal or just carry a good mushroom plug kit.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Default RIDE - ON & FLAT TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Ride-On IS the balancer as well as puncture sealant. You don't want to use Ride-On AND the Centramatic balancers. If you are using centramatic balancers and want puncture protection use the Amerseal Lamont recommends. If you are not using the centramatics and want both balancing and puncture you can use Ride-On.

Yes, Lamont no longer recommend Ride-On for punctures because someone still got a flat. I'd have to see the tire to see where the puncture was but what I learned is the Ride-On accumulates in the very center of the tire tread, not lined across the whole tread. So, if you get a puncture in the center 1/3 or so of the tread I would suspect Ride-On would seal puncture but if you get puncture toward the outer edges of the tread it won't seal because there is no material there. On the balancing side, I think if you ride often it works well. If it sits a week or more at a time between ride you will get that thunking while it redistributes.

I went to the centramatics and and debating whether I want to add Amerseal or just carry a good mushroom plug kit.
    It was Lamont that got the flat ..... ............ Mike