Spyder Garage

Default Need Advice on RT-Limited

Looking to buy a new RT-Limited. I can buy leftovers from 2015 and 2015 (never used) or pay full price for a 2017.

What are the improvements made from 2015 to 2016 to 2017....if any?

Also - any rumors yet for 2018? Are big changes coming that I should know about?

Thank you.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Looking to buy a new RT-Limited. I can buy leftovers from 2015 and 2015 (never used) or pay full price for a 2017.

Also - any rumors yet for 2018? Are big changes coming that I should know about?

Thank you.
    Outside if color changes, and a shorter antenna, they are all nearly the same from 2014-2017.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that they got a new radio antenna...
    (The USB port for the radio appeared in 2015)
    Happy shopping: let us know what happens next!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

That is what I thought. Could not find anything about upgrades from year to year

Spyder Garage

That is what I thought. Could not find anything about upgrades from year to year
    Save money for FUN and Farkles. Go for the 2015!
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RTL and the only difference in the 2016 is a shorter antenna and the ability to adjust the volume from the passenger seat, plus some different colors. IMHO Not worth the money if you can get a great deal on a 2015 go for it.

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that they got a new radio antenna...
    (The USB port for the radio appeared in 2015)
    Happy shopping: let us know what happens next!
    Regarding the USB port in the trunk as opposed to the goofy multi pin round connector, you are probably correct it was 2015 but somehow I thought it was 2016.

If the USB is 2016 and newer I would buy newer, the round connector setup is not great. But of course money saved, it may be livable if ease of connecting outside electronics is not important.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pop for the one with the USB port.
    (Mine doesn't have it...2014)

Spyder Garage

I agree, for what what is likely just few thousand dollars more you have the shorter antenna and the usb port.

Huh?

Get the least expensive one in a color you like, and be very happy you were able to get a deal on an older model essentially identical to the newer ones.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Is it safe to assume all options on the RT-Limited are dealer installed? They do not come installed from the factory, correct....or do some of them? I want to understand which, if any, options I will not be able to get because I did not factory order.

As a minimum I would like to:
    1) mount my iPhone as my GPS device and to place/receive calls to/from my fellow riders
    2) talk to my passenger helmet to helmet without pushing any buttons, or maybe one button
    3) Cup holders - Brand?
    4) Be able to adjust airflow on me and my passenger - which windshield and wind deflectors are worth the money?

What options and electronic connections are recommended to do this?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RT Limiteds come with a Garmin GPS as standard equipment...
    Intercoms: Get yourself an aftermarket Blue-tooth setup
    The Gold Standard for them comes from Sena.
    (I've got a Scalarider)
    Airflow: I like my BRP adjustable air-deflectors.
    But Baker Built makes makes some really great ones also.

Spyder Garage

Is it safe to assume all options on the RT-Limited are dealer installed? They do not come installed from the factory, correct....or do some of them? I want to understand which, if any, options I will not be able to get because I did not factory order.

1) mount my iPhone as my GPS device and to place/receive calls to/from my fellow riders
    2) talk to my passenger helmet to helmet without pushing any buttons, or maybe one button
    3) Cup holders - Brand?
    4) Be able to adjust airflow on me and my passenger - which windshield and wind deflectors are worth the money?

1) There is no factory option available for this as far as I know. Not sure if all dealers would install this since power sources to the phone at that location do not exist from the factory with modifications.

2) Helmet intercoms will allow this. If you prefer music for both persons, you may need more equipment such as a dongle.

3) Cup holders like a phone mount I do not beleive are available as a factory option. There are several styles and brands. Those that have them can comment on the pros and cons of each type. I have seen the clamp on style for the passenger ruin the heated hand grip, use caution regarding that.

4) Can Am does offer side wind deflectors that work well and are concealed as oem appearance. Air Wings no doubt can offer more airflow, but come with added changes to the bikes appearance. As for windscreens, all sorts are offered, oem, oem aftermarket and true aftermarket brands. Much of this choice depends on the size of the person riding the machine. As for vented or non vented or which vent seems best, I think the oem optional windscreens and F4 are the ones offering vents. F4 uses a Goldwing part or Goldwing replica vent assembly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Regarding the USB port in the trunk as opposed to the goofy multi pin round connector, you are probably correct it was 2015 but somehow I thought it was 2016.

If the USB is 2016 and newer I would buy newer, the round connector setup is not great. But of course money saved, it may be livable if ease of connecting outside electronics is not important.
    I can tell you the 2015 (at least mine) still had the proprietary round port. USBs came out in 2016 models. If you are not planning on running phone music into the Spyder this shouldn't matter. I stream Amazon music via Bluetooth.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

3) Cup holders - Brand?

My $.02
    1. Not factory, you can get a phone holder like X Mount, or I use Tech Gripper and mount via RAM mount - several mounts available, mine is on dash in old fuel gauge
    2. Yep, via Bluetooth. You will need to press button on BT controller.
    3. All aftermarket. Nice ones are drink2go (they have for both front and passenger), also there is the Butler cup... http://www.glassact.com/orderpage-butler-spyder.htm
    4. As other said, I don't have any, may consider BRP one, hate the look of the Bakers

If you don't want/need the Zumo GPS then don't look at the limited (unless you just love the chrome or want the front luggage). Between '15 and '16 I would just go for best price and color you want, no significant changes. No idea on '18 although rumors are new style but prob won't know for sure until around Sep. Get best price you can then use the BRP rebates or 0% financing. I bought a '15 around 3 months after '16s were out, you should get a killer deal if still out there.
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    I can tell you the 2015 (at least mine) still had the proprietary round port. USBs came out in 2016 models. If you are not planning on running phone music into the Spyder this shouldn't matter. I stream Amazon music via Bluetooth.
    Yes, but what I have learned is Bluetooth couples to one headset for the music. For a single rider that can work well. For a driver and passenger to intercom and both hear the same music, a dongle setup may be better. The round plug does work for IPhones and IPods, but USB is more versatile to power the phone without a 12v adapter, uses a more tidy cable set in the trunk for the IPod, and if you run modern Apple stuff, you not only need the special cable, but also an Apple brand Lightning Adapter. The BRP round cable does come with the bike when new, replacements are expensive and no doubt will be obsolete in the future.

If the choice exists, and the 2017 is still a good deal, or even a 2016 is a good deal, I would go that route.

Also, mechanically, but covered under warranty until the warranty expires, 2015 machines and 14 had the earlier DESS system with many machines having problems. 2016 and after have the latest DESS upgraded parts and few if any reported problems.

Some of the 2015 machines also were shipped with metal in the Gear Position Sensor. While not a huge big deal, it does require warranty work if it acts up and typically has left some low mileage machines sitting on the flat bed headed to the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Default I've got one for sale

Thank you.
    Hey.. my 2014 is for sale...
    $20k
    26k mileage
    excellent condition

howard
    971-645-0655

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Yes, but what I have learned is Bluetooth couples to one headset for the music. For a single rider that can work well. For a driver and passenger to intercom and both hear the same music, a dongle setup may be better. The round plug does work for IPhones and IPods, but USB is more versatile to power the phone without a 12v adapter, uses a more tidy cable set in the trunk for the IPod, and if you run modern Apple stuff, you not only need the special cable, but also an Apple brand Lightning Adapter. The BRP round cable does come with the bike when new, replacements are expensive and no doubt will be obsolete in the future.

If the choice exists, and the 2017 is still a good deal, or even a 2016 is a good deal, I would go that route.

Also, mechanically, but covered under warranty until the warranty expires, 2015 machines and 14 had the earlier DESS system with many machines having problems. 2016 and after have the latest DESS upgraded parts and few if any reported problems.

Some of the 2015 machines also were shipped with metal in the Gear Position Sensor. While not a huge big deal, it does require warranty work if it acts up and typically has left some low mileage machines sitting on the flat bed headed to the dealer.
    On the Sena there is a feature called music sharing where the person listening to phone can share with passenger. Lots of options. Don't disagree at all USB is better but my point is at what cost? All great points, especially the other stuff. I agree unless the '15 is an absolute steal a '16 is probably a better choice.

OLD/TRADED

Spyder Garage

I really appreciate the recommendations. Thanks to all.

If anyone else has any more I am all ears.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I only have ONE more thing to add:

Buy The Motorcycle.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Full Price Fooey

Just yesterday I bought a new 2017 RT Limited for 26,975 plus tax, license, freight etc., out the door for 32K. MSRP is now 34,999 . You don't have to pay full price, look on eBay and Cycle Trader. Right now, Extreme Powersports in Columbia GA has a 2016 for 24K. It is NO HASSLE AT ALL to buy out of state, plenty of U-Ship people eager to haul your bike.

The deal I got was with RideNow Powersports, Goodyear AZ branch only, Prudencio Perez 623 214 6400 in internet sales . The other RideNow stores are not amenable to dealing.

This is my second RT.
    Last edited by unclejay; 05-04-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default RT

Hey.. my 2015 is for sale...
    $20k
    3k mileage
    excellent condition

Kenny
    407-580-5619
    2015 RT-S SE Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

Default All should be easy!

3) Cup holders - Brand?

1) Phone mounts are abundant - see the sponsors here on the main page. I got the kit from Spyderpops that bolts onto the handle bar mount, with an "X-Grip". Works great!
    2) Sena kit (high$), or there are some cheap sets on Amazon that do actually work OK. Bluetooth is the way to go
    3) Couple choices - just Google Spyder RT cupholders. One mounts to the handlebar, one mounts to a B-Ball (all kinds of mounting and brackets available)!
    4) The RT has an electric windshield, put it up or down as you please. There is a kit to add several deflectors under the mirror (a sponsor again I believe).

I recently traded in a 2013 ST (leans you more forward style) for a 2016RT-S. Now comments about the RT-S versus RT Limited (here comes the war lol!):
    The RT-S is the "base" model. The RT Limited adds the GPS and Chrome accents for $2K more. I went with the RTS and bought the phone mount with X-Grip. Works just fine! However... In order to get the sound on your stereo - you pull off the right side covers (tons of videos, don't be shy!), and you will a USB plug and a 3.5mm plug. Just go to Radio Shack and get a 6' 3.5mm extension cord, plug it in, route it up and out at the handle bars or where ever you wish. Plug it into your phone and viola! Set your radio to NAV or AUX. I turn on Pandora and Google maps, works great! You can also plug in an iPad or a thumbdrive with toons in the trunk to the USB.

As far as USB power, the RT is lacking. It is very easy to remove the center cover with the two gauges. When you unplug those gauges the gas and temp show up on the LCD. You then can replace those gauges with a great dual USB or a 12V socket. You can also get a blank 52mm cover. There is a video of how to use a suction cup B-Ball ($8) that twists on and off, modify it and it fits perfectly on one of those holes. Then you can get a cup holder with the B-Ball mount, and you beverage does get swished around like it would mounted to your handle bar while your steering. I ran 12V and ground to the battery terminals (comes with the kit).

Another thing I did was move a fuse on the left fuse block as you face the open frunk, to put power on the socket in the trunk 100% of the time, so I can toss my phone or GPS in the trunk and let it charge while eating or whatever. The fuse slots are labeled socket switched and socket battery I think, just move the fuse over one slot to battery. There is a YouTube video showing it close up.

That $2K I save by going with the RT-S over the RT-L went to get my bumpskid with LED's and rear LED brake kit from Spyderpops! Got a dash kit from WrapMySpyder.com to cover the plastic dash with a shiny black carbon design. Plus a new cover and many other farkles! I got the Intense Red 2016 with black wheels, would look silly IMO to have chrome on it. I'm thinking now of taking off the grey plastic pieces and painting gloss black (next project).

Lastly - if you like to work on your bike (not that much talent is needed for most kits you get, they are plug and play!) - definitely gets the Magic Mirror kit from the sponsor. The mirrors are held on by a thin piece of plastic - watch some their videos. One of my mirror mounts cracked when my wife leaned on it, sat a bit loose. The kit will replace all the cheap plastic with super strength magnets. Whenever you run a wire or need to take a side cover off to plug something in, the first step is always to take the mirrors off. Each time you take them off you risk damaging the plastic clips. This is why the Magic Mirror kit is really important.

So I'm with most others - 2015 and save the money for all the cool stuff you will add! Save a bit more with a RT-S over RT-L (unless you want the GPS all pre-installed, which is cool!).

Book done

Steve

Spyder Garage

15 vs. 17. Mostly color changes and the smaller antenna. If your happy with the color choice(s) on the 15 you will save some money.

It will be at least summer before any announcements about 2018. That would be at the Homecoming Party.

If they don't, then we usually hear about the next year in Sep/Oct. It's all speculation. I for one, am not holding my breath.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red