Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Advice on cleaning

Ok, probably a dumb question but paid a lot of money and care too much. I usually wash and wax my cars for $8 at the local gas station and call it good, but not my Spyder. So I purchased the Lamonster Garages Black Dyamond detailer and the trim renew with microfiber towels, along with 303 Aerospace Protectant, Plexus and the California Duster. This will be my first wash and looking for advice from the experts. Should I wash with car wash soap and water and then Dyamond detailer? Or could I just spray Dyamond detailer right now and wipe? Or do I go over with California Duster (which I researched and is not recommended at this point), then Dyamond detailer? Well you know where I am going with this. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

This is the worst part, I have 800 miles on it and got caught in a light rain. I have bugs up front but not too bad.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

I usually just spray on some Lucas Slick Mist and then wipe off. If there are dried-on bugs, I let it sit for a minute then wipe off. I just bought some of Lamont's Black Diamond and I like a lot. If you have a gritty, fine sand on it where you live, I might wash it gently first. I almost never use a hose on my Spyder. At most, I might have a bucket of warm water.

Spyder Garage

Default let it sit out over night

i have found that letting the machine set out overnight getting up early wiping it down before the dew dries off works great to remove bugs than use the detailer it makes an easier job to get everything clean.

Spyder Garage

Thought I would share a trick to debug I learned from riding two wheels for 40 years. I take an old towel and put it in as hot of water I can take. Ring out a bit and then set it over the bugged area. Leave is sit for 2-3 minutes and the bugs come right off! The heat and steam melt them away!

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

Spray and wipe works best for me. I have used many products but in a pinch the old stand by is pledge...I like lemon scent...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I live on a long dirt driveway and am always concerned about the grit if I just wipe it down regardless of the cleaner. I use a hose to rinse off first then a light wash with carwash soap. Chammy dry then a Lamonster or Plexus to finish it up. I have also used I-Day's trick with the warm towel so I don't have to scrub to hard on the bugs.
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Bump Skid
    Ultimate Seat
    Air Horn
    Fuze Block
    LED Marker & Brake lights
    Custom Art Work

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i just figure that a dirty bike: is a sign of a bike that's being ridden...

And that means a Happy Owner!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My problem is cleaning/washing the rear wheel, tire, belt drive, sprocket, etc. With my Korean knee, I can't get down easily to do this. Presently I use a long handled brush....is there a better (easier) way?

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    My problem is cleaning/washing the rear wheel, tire, belt drive, sprocket, etc. With my Korean knee, I can't get down easily to do this. Presently I use a long handled brush....is there a better (easier) way?

A $100 electric power washer is great at cleaning wheels. sprayway is great for cleaning everything else.

Spyder Garage

Baby wipes works well to remove bugs...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was looking for a cutesy name for the Spyder and ended up calling it "Dust Devil". Not sure it will ever be clean again (pics to follow once I get back home)!

Seriously, 10 miles round-trip to the pavement down a canyon road at any speed creates clouds of dust that, I think, are attracted to the tupperware by a static charge caused by the dry air and tire friction from movement down the road. So I'm strongly thinking about getting a trailer when I get back to NM (we're on vacation in Ole Miss) that will fit in my garage. AND I'll be able to keep the 83 Venture, which definitely hates the gravel road.

And once again sign06.gif so sorry about that. I've tried wiping off the dust and it just seems to move around. Static charge I'm thinking. So trailering may be my answer.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We also use hot towels and allow them to sit on the spyders for a while. Then we wipe and dry with microfiber towels, and then apply Lamonster Black Diamond Detailer.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Not sure why you don't want to do what you have been doing,except for the carwash wax. I have been using the car wash on my bikes for over 40 years with never a problem. I just don't pull the trigger back except for the hard to remove bugs on the frunk and windshield. Drive home dries it and the instant detailers,whatever one you like shines them up and protects the finish. No I don't wash the dash, I can do that at home with the detailer. If you don't use the hard spray around the wheel bearing you don't have to worry about getting water in them.

George as to your knee and washing the rear wheel area, have you got a nearby grand child that could do that job for Grandpa? for a ride? Or a neighbor kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramg66 View Post
    Ok, probably a dumb question but paid a lot of money and care too much. I usually wash and wax my cars for $8 at the local gas station and call it good, but not my Spyder. So I purchased the Lamonster Garages Black Dyamond detailer and the trim renew with microfiber towels, along with 303 Aerospace Protectant, Plexus and the California Duster. This will be my first wash and looking for advice from the experts. Should I wash with car wash soap and water and then Dyamond detailer? Or could I just spray Dyamond detailer right now and wipe? Or do I go over with California Duster (which I researched and is not recommended at this point), then Dyamond detailer? Well you know where I am going with this. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

This is the worst part, I have 800 miles on it and got caught in a light rain. I have bugs up front but not too bad.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I use a little Dawn in hot water then rinse with the hose. Dry the seat and windshield with a soft towel. Then take it for a ryde to dry the rest.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    I use a little Dawn in hot water then rinse with the hose. Dry the seat and windshield with a soft towel. Then take it for a ryde to dry the rest.
    Dishwashing detergent is a huge no-no on clear coat finishes. It removes the oils from the finish and can make them cloudy or dull in just a few washes. (Note: mat finishes require something like Dawn to restore the dull finish)

Spyder Garage

S100 has a spray on-rinse off with water hose product that makes the process easier. The bike needs to be cool before using. It has been very popular with motorcycle's for decades. Very easy to use and bugs come right off. It does a good job with wheels and undercarriage as well.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Not sure why you don't want to do what you have been doing,except for the carwash wax. I have been using the car wash on my bikes for over 40 years with never a problem. I just don't pull the trigger back except for the hard to remove bugs on the frunk and windshield. Drive home dries it and the instant detailers,whatever one you like shines them up and protects the finish. No I don't wash the dash, I can do that at home with the detailer. If you don't use the hard spray around the wheel bearing you don't have to worry about getting water in them.

George as to your knee and washing the rear wheel area, have you got a nearby grand child that could do that job for Grandpa? for a ride? Or a neighbor kid?
    Thanks for the idea Paul, my nearest neighbor kid is a 12 year old lady and she is 1/2 mile on down the road and if she is not riding her horse, she is in school......ha ha. I live in the boon docks....mostly old folks younger than me. I guess I will just stick to my long handled brush and Honda spray on.....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

I use a quick detailer product, currently Meguiar's Quick Mist & Wipe Detailer, and microfiber cloths to remove dust. If I've collected road dirt from rain riding, even just a light splashing, I use Turtle Wax car wash soap a soft mitt and very low pressure water. Dried grit begs for water IMO. I too favor the hot water towel for bug guts but again am very careful about grit. Shawn Smoak claims Liquid Performance Premium Cycle Wash cut 50:50 works great. I plan to try when the car wash soap runs out. Guess I need to wash the cages more often to quickly exhaust the supply.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Stool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post

Hi George
    First, thank you for ur service to our great country! I have a bad back and legs so I bought a one step, plastic, folding stool, Walmart and for me it's great for low work, wash, tire rim ,belt work. I stretch my legs out the best way around the trike and work. Need help up- cane or passenger hand grip. Hope this helps. Niterider
    2015 RTS , Stock Black Rubber Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I like this method better.

Spyder Garage

Default Plexus for me.

I clean my Pearl White '14 RT-S after every ride. Bugs are relatively freshly smashed and using a wet microfiber towel takes the bugs and anything else right off. Then a light mist of Plexus does a nice finish. I don't have anything problem with cleaning products, but why spend lots of money when a $24 can (which lasts months) does such a nice job?
    I learned years ago a clean machine runs better. Believe me, it really does. Maybe I just think it does, but opening that garage door and seeing a clean bike with headlights winking at me, ready for another daily ride.
    Just my opinion.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramg66 View Post

Bet your going to know what I am going to say!!!
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wash mine the same way I wash my cars, car wash detergent, pressure washer on the lowest pressure setting, except for the wheels, high for that. Then when on a trip I use Lamonster Garages Black Dyamond detailer on all the nights it isn't too dirty from rain. It works great taking bugs off too.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Cheap dryer sheets work very well on bugs. wet the surface, wet the sheet and the bugs wipe right off. I've been doing this on my vehicles for years and never had an issue with my paint finishes.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    Spyderpops LED Bumpskid
    LED headlights and fog lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Large1 View Post
    Bet your going to know what I am going to say!!!
    Thanks Large1, who came clear across town to show me personally how to wash my Spyder....LOL. It was nice meeting you buddy.

Thank you all for your advice.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6