Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default KewlMetal 9" handlebars & Motorcycle cruise control

I haven't posted in a long time, due to a major case of tendonitis in my right arm. The tendonitis was directly due to the Spyder's ergonomics not being conducive to my small stature (5'2"). But with the help of Mad Matt at KewlMetal that problem's been resolved. We installed a set of 9" bars with KewlMetal's center console and were able to retain the BRP 1" riser as well. Using the 9" bars meant we had to replace the throttle cable, reverse cable, and clutch hose (all available through KewlMetal). The handlebar wiring had to be rerouted slightly, but everything went well. The 10" rise allows me to now sit upright and back on the seat where all you big boys ride. (The bad part is that my husband can't ride it now...but he's got his own bike.) We installed KewlMetal's mirror extensions, greatly improving visability. Any time we had a question, Mad Matt was only a phone call away. Thanks Matt! We saw several postings regarding the motorcycle cruise control from Australia. We've installed this particular cruise control and it works wonderfully...just like one on an automobile. As with KewlMetal, Tony from Motorcycle Cruise Controls always responded in a timely manner. Thanks Tony! If your are considering buying this unit and are currently using the Triple Play System, make sure Tony is aware of this when placing your order. A resistor needs to be added to the wiring harness. This will allow the cruise control to function with the Triple Play System. Have we spent a few major $$$?...Yes! But with that said, it's worth every penny to now be able to ride in comfort and without injuring myself. Speaking of major $$$ we're waiting for delivery on the Corbin fleetliner saddlebags, trunk box, and rear fender as well as the Triple Play System from NoMagicNeon. Kudos need to go to my ace mechanic, Bob...aka my husband. Thanks Honey! I'm now one happy biker! Joan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have this cruise control installed and then my husband installed the Triple Play. I have driven my bike while using both and didn't find any problems.

We don't understand. What does one have to do with the other?

Thanks!
    Gayle

Spyder Garage

Welcom back Joan. So glad to hear you are happy with your set up. It sounds like you will be riding in style. Can't wait to see you and Bob again. Really looking forward to the Tunnel of Trees ride. Just pray the weather is good for us.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Response to Gayle & Deb

Gayle,
    Look in your installation manual section 6 & 7 for the cruise control device. On page two - top paragraph says: "Note: if bike is fitted with a flasher device or LED brakelight globe on the brake light system, this may cause interference with the cruise control brake detection. If the cruise control will not work try disconnecting the flasher device or replacing the LED globe with a conventional globe. Contact us with ways to enable both your brake light flasher or LED brake light and the cruise control."
    When we spoke with Tony we mentioned that we were getting the Triple Play and he said he would have included the resistor in the initial shipment had he known. He would have wired the resistor into the wiring harness.
    If yours seems to be working alright, then you probably have nothing to be concerned about....Joan

Deb,
    We are so ready to see you, Brian, and the Michigan SpyderLovers again. I'm riding my Spyder up to the Tunnel of Trees, while Bob trailers his bike behind the motorhome. I guess if I can do the Mackinaw Bridge I can tackle the Zilwalkee Bridge. We hope to connect with you all this weekend in Hell or where every.
    ...Joan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRyder810 View Post
    Gayle,
    Look in your installation manual section 6 & 7 for the cruise control device. On page two - top paragraph says: "Note: if bike is fitted with a flasher device or LED brakelight globe on the brake light system, this may cause interference with the cruise control brake detection. If the cruise control will not work try disconnecting the flasher device or replacing the LED globe with a conventional globe. Contact us with ways to enable both your brake light flasher or LED brake light and the cruise control."
    When we spoke with Tony we mentioned that we were getting the Triple Play and he said he would have included the resistor in the initial shipment had he known. He would have wired the resistor into the wiring harness.
    If yours seems to be working alright, then you probably have nothing to be concerned about....Joan
    Thanks, Joan. I will certainly check into this because I wouldn't want anything to malfunction or interfere with using the cruise on a longer trip such as the upcoming cross country outing. We are actually set to do a 200+ ride on Saturday and will see again how it handles. But to be on the safest side, I think I need to check with MC Cruise myself. Very much appreciate the info!

Gayle

Spyder Garage

My Spyder is having the Aussie cruise control installed as well. Mech said the installation instructions were 54 pages!!!
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

.....Speaking of major $$$ we're waiting for delivery on the Corbin fleetliner saddlebags, trunk box, and rear fender as well as the Triple Play System from NoMagicNeon......
    Welcome back Joan! We missed you. Hope the tendonitis has departed for good. It is so easily stirred up again, and again, and again. I look forward to seeing the look of the Spyder now riding down the road with a similar look to Bob's Victory. Very cool!
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dragonheart View Post
    Thanks, Joan. I will certainly check into this because I wouldn't want anything to malfunction or interfere with using the cruise on a longer trip such as the upcoming cross country outing. We are actually set to do a 200+ ride on Saturday and will see again how it handles. But to be on the safest side, I think I need to check with MC Cruise myself. Very much appreciate the info!

Gayle
    Just to post an update - I wrote to Tony yesterday afternoon and he replied that evening. SUPER FAST AND GREAT SERVICE! Anyway, here is his reply:

Hi Gayle,

If the LED lights were going to interfere, the cruise would not work at all now. The cruise has to be able to see 'ground' through the brake light system and it must be doing that with whatever LEDs you installed or it would not engage at all and would be showing an error code with 6 flashes at the computer. As far as I can tell from what you have said you can happily go on your trip confident that there are no safety issues with the cruise and LEDs. It would appear that your triple play lights are either not attached to the brake system or do so in a way in which the cruise sees ground and still turns off by detecting when the brake lights are applied.

Best regards,
    Tony.

Makes me feel much better and you can know that we have another great service person out there that responds quickly to questions/issues.

RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor Mad Matt's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad to help and I am glad the setup worked out for you. We will be carrying the 9 inch bars as well as the 5 and 7 now as part of the regular product line since several people have asked for them.

I would love to see some pics of your Spyder when you get a chance!

Matt

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We talked with both Tony (from MC Cruise Control) and Evan (from NoMagicNeon) today. The cruise control picks up the ground through the stop light bulbs. The LED lights don't allow the ground to be picked up. When installing the Triple Play, the stock stop light bulbs are not replaced. The LEDs are only added to the turn signals. So the cruise control picks up the ground through the stock stop light bulbs. Therefore the cruise control will work with the Triple Play. It appears that the only time LEDs effect the cruise control is when all the light bulbs are switched to LEDs...Joan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Mad Matt

Hi Matt,

We will get some pics out there. I'm just not sure when. With that said, we'll make sure we get them to you directly as well.

Thanks again,
    Joan

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Control Question

Where did you purchase your cruise control? If I may ask.....how much was it? And....how difficult was it to install?

Thanks!

Vendit
    Just remember: "It will feel better when it stops hurting!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought from MotorCycle Cruise Control in Australia, and delt with Tony Guymer. Their website is: www.mccruise.com. Their e-mail is: sales@mccruise.com. The cruise control costs around $600 U.S. I know it's a lot of money, but for me it's what I need. I can't say enough about their customer service. They are wonderful people to deal with!

Tony is coming to the U.S. in October and plans on stopping in Michigan. I will be posting more information on this as the time gets closer and as his plans firm up.

I see you're from Dewitt, MI. If you'd like to take a look at the cruise control, just let me know.

Spyder Garage

Joan, Thanks again for more info. That cruise control sounds like a very high quality system. I like to have nice mods, and not things that are kinda hodge podge. This seems like a very nice system! Was it difficult to install?
    Just remember: "It will feel better when it stops hurting!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

And, yes this is a top notch piece of equipment! Bob (RLS) and I just came back from a 5,000 mile trip out west. I never would have been able to make it if it weren't for the cruise control...Joan

Spyder Garage

We talked with both Tony (from MC Cruise Control) and Evan (from NoMagicNeon) today. The cruise control picks up the ground through the stop light bulbs. The LED lights don't allow the ground to be picked up. When installing the Triple Play, the stock stop light bulbs are not replaced. The LEDs are only added to the turn signals. So the cruise control picks up the ground through the stock stop light bulbs. Therefore the cruise control will work with the Triple Play. It appears that the only time LEDs effect the cruise control is when all the light bulbs are switched to LEDs...Joan
    Yup - I think the real problem would be if you send in your rear brakelights to have them replaced with the LED units. The triple-play unit itself shouldn't have an effect on this setup.

I believe I was told that the MC cruise picks up it's 'off' signal from when the brakes are on--- tied into the light signals.

Spyder Garage

Do we have a picture of the bike with 9" riser bars? Anywhere? Anyone? Anyone?
    Happy Owner
    Chances are the referenced post is positive in nature, may result in a solution, alteration, modification, or highlights an extraordinary event or ride, that's worth posting.

Spyder Garage

Wonderful to hear you're getting setup to be more comfortable finally!!!
    "I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks James, I'm getting there ...Joan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twodog185 View Post
    Do we have a picture of the bike with 9" riser bars? Anywhere? Anyone? Anyone?
    It's the one she's sitting on in her avatar....
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cute Brian...real cute. You know what they say about
    paybacks

LOL ...Joan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

May I ask what is your inseam, since I noticed highway pegs outside of the black plastic?????
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

BeRight, I can't help but chuckle at this request , because women's pants are not measured by the inseam like men's. Instead we go by Petite, Regular, Tall etc. So just for you I took out a pair of jeans and meassured the leg length...28".

As for the highway pegs being on the outside of the black plastic...half of my shoe rests on the bracket with the other half on the peg itself. Eventually, this will be another modification, but for now it's fine. Also the pegs are angled backwards toward me so the reach really isn't that far...Joan