Spyder Garage

Default Quandry-Sage thoughts, advice, opinions and jest welcome

Ie been a rider for 4+ decades. I road a spyder long ago. Scared a Cr*p out of myself. But remained spyder curious. After 8 yrs or so I finally broke down in a moment of weakness and procured a 2012 RS. I've had it nary 2 weeks, most of which was pouring rain and time spent getting her plates.

I have found out very quickly they are not monsters. They are quite enjoyable and, as I am learning quickly, very addictive. So much for promising Doc, family and my body that I had quit riding.

So with my work schedule I'm pretty much relegated to commuting. That said, my commute is 50 mi each way. I need to carry a bunch of "stuff" back and fourth. As I am investigating means to do so with the RS and I reading and have a strong yearning for a cognac RT which then would also be equipped with the new engine and tranny. Though I still love the white and black.

I haven't even posted my vehicle here yet and have several folks locally asking to pursue purchasing mine. This would release me to hunt for what I perceive to be a solution ( not to mention I was riding an orange GL1800 (wing) when I stopped riding 1-2 years back).

I am not a well to do individual, in fact I am still recovering from being unemployed for 2 years, so I need to factor that in, i.e. implore some logic and common sense.

Sooooo, If anyone is otherwise bored, I wanted to implore the collective for their thoughts noting many of you have experience with the different models, engines and use scenarios.

If not, have a great weekend.
    KES
    2012 Spyder RS SE5 - Pearl White
    Corbin, phoenix running boards,
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    BRP? side fairing defectors
    Twisted Throttle Air foil
    other forgotten doo dads
    Real crotchety old curmudgeon at the helm.

Spyder Garage

I would recommend riding the one you just purchased for a few thousand miles. The answers will start coming fast as you get the miles under your belt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I would recommend riding the one you just purchased for a few thousand miles. The answers will start coming fast as you get the miles under your belt.
    Got to there & take up to a dealer so you can try a test ride on the 1330 find out what suits you best. The salesmen will undoubtaly ask if you wantto try a trade in & you can have that much more info to work with. With the 50 mile commute towirk the gasmilage on newer modles may do you better in longrun it tookme some time to get in-tune with mine.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Being a lover of my 2012 RS Sm5 i plan to ryde off into the sunset on it...that being said ryde the one you have and once you master it you can try the triple and see. Your choices will be the upright bagger or the streched out cruiser cause there is no sports model like the RS.congrats on the best choice to start out on...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My story is similar, 2 wheel rider since mid 60's bought a 2008 SM-5 gs 4 years ago and rode it for 2 years and while it was equipped with bags and was pretty sporty I was never really comfortable on it. I rode my friends RT with the semi auto and what a difference. I found a great deal on a 2012 RT SE5 and REALLY like it. I'd like a newer one with the 1330, but can't justify the expense right now. Good Luck.
    Bob S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll just have to try one out, and see what YOU think of it; it's the only opinion that truly natters!
    But after having owned a 998 RT, and a 1130 version: I know which one I would go into debt for!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You'll just have to try one out, and see what YOU think of it; it's the only opinion that truly natters!
    But after having owned a 998 RT, and a 1130 version: I know which one I would go into debt for!
    You Sir, Bear some culpability

Seriously, thank you all. It's what I was I am looking for. Opinion and experience.

One of the issue for me is the local dealer doesn't seem overly amenable to visits, questions, and sharing of information. I've visited probably three or four times over a good 5 year period. I don't want to be disparaging but I haven't had positive experiences and am reticent to stop by and ask to try a new RT knowing I'm looking for a used one. (they're not a big place and seem to focus on snowmobiles).

Allot of good experiences and thoughts. I am thinking possibly of riding it as recommended but also listing it. If it sells, I can look for a cognac. At some point along the way I'll learn whether I'm right or wrong. I heard the advice re the RS having its strength as well. but....

I found what appears to be a nice unit down in louisiana not priced realistically but nice. That said I rec'd a quote for 1800 to ship it. i remember shipping a car cross country for 1500 and 1/2 way (@ equal to this) 750. Maybe someones trying to tell me something.

I took her for my 100/2 miles commute today. Oh I love the bike, but My SI, hip and knee weren't to happy. So if I find the right one go for it. otherwise keep riding and advertise as well. If she finds a new home some will have a well dialed in ergonomically bike and I can patiently see what the future brings. either way.

not definitive, I'm listening to everyone. Yes, it's my choice and only I need to be happy, but I like to take on all the information I can and use it to help form my thoughts.

kind of you all
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just remember: Most of the fun is in the shopping!

Until you start the RYDING part!

biker.jpg

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1251461]Just remember: Most of the fun is in the shopping!

There's allot of truth to that with me. It doesn't feel like it at the time, but once you you land that fish, you have that let down of energy no longer being expended in the "search and shop" mode. You take a deep breath and change gears.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=kes;1251591]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It doesn't feel like it at the time, but once you you land that fish, you have that let down of energy no longer being expended in the "search and shop" mode. You take a deep breath and change gears.
    ...and start FARKLING!!!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1251603]
    Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post

...and start FARKLING!!!
    Exacrly
    However I believe that's another plus for my RT vs RS internal debate.

Ok....no problem getting the fringe for the front window. I have a touring shield so they're even.

BUT... where do I put the little dog with tje bouncy head on an RS? goes nicely atop the trunk on the dresser but not appropriate spot on the RS. How do I achieve that vintage look.
    KES
    Heli bar back,
    super touring BRP screen
    other forgotten doo dads