Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    Got mine today. Took about 15 min a side to install. I think it goes on the "must have" list.
    I agree completely.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If he hit something hard enough to jar the mirrors loose; I'd hate to see what his front tires, wheels, suspension, and alignment look like!

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default good item

love my magic mirrors...

Spyder Garage

Default Magic mirrors are great

Got my mirrors and installed them in 20 min both sides best gargle ever hardest part was taking the magnets apart super powerful love my mirrors absolutely no shakes love thanks for providing this for the Rt Super happy in Florida

Spyder Garage

Default tethers

we at magic mirrors greatly appreciate all the feedback coming in
    and we will act on every failing highlighted

postage has been dismal,and i am now waiting for application to DHL to be approved
    the funny thing is,apart from the april 10 fiasco (they were held over in melbourne for 12 days)the holdups seem to be in usa facilities so i'm guessing customs.but its just like a black hole is sucking them in
    dealers mailings have been ok and are getting better but DHL should nail that also

due to aforementioned feedback,we now encourage the use of tethers
    until i can get the coated stainless wire ones up and running,we are using braided cord

if you want to add tethers to non tether purchases then we youtube a simple tether which anyone can make and fit
    the website has a link to this now

thanks for all your feedback
    russ and brenda

ps...as you can see in the video,my petals are still raw steel trials....im going to have to upgrade to the plated ones

Spyder Garage

Might just replace my original supplied tether with the cord.

I'll sell the original CLASSIC OZZIE tethers on the web for --- $50 the pair
    includes postage !
    Last edited by HayRog; 05-13-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I have to ask. You say you now "encourage" the use of. Why ? What feedback? Has anyone actually had a mirror come off? I got your original tethers and didn't even bother with them. I've had them on bumpy roads and above "normal" highway speeds and they don't budge. I feel as if something happens to knock these off the mounting then the mirrors will probably be the least of my worry. So why are you encouraging the use now, what happened? BTW - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE!
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Sorry, I have to ask. You say you now "encourage" the use of. Why ? What feedback? Has anyone actually had a mirror come off? I got your original tethers and didn't even bother with them. I've had them on bumpy roads and above "normal" highway speeds and they don't budge. I feel as if something happens to knock these off the mounting then the mirrors will probably be the least of my worry. So why are you encouraging the use now, what happened? BTW - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE!
    I too am interested in why the apparent reversal of the use of tethers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc Riverside has started a thread in the "General Discussion" Area about tethers for these mirror mounts.
    His idea looks pretty neat!

As far as Russ changing his position regarding the necessity of tethers: Haven't YOU ever changed your mind about something?
    Give him a break: he sees that there are folks with concerns, and is trying to react to it.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-13-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

there are lots of fitters out there possessing varying degrees of skill levels
    at the outset i didnt take this into account
    if the magics are fitted correctly and the mirror closes as it should then you'll probably never need a tether
    they are so easy to make so if someone does want one then there should be nothing stopping him/her from fitting one
    but we need to advise their fitment we may start calling them "sink hole insurance"
    thanks russ

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Doc Riverside has started a thread in the "General Discussion" Area about tethers for these mirror mounts.
    His idea looks pretty neat!

As far as Russ changing his position regarding the necessity of tethers: Haven't YOU ever changed your mind about something?
    Give him a break: he sees that there are folks with concerns, and is trying to react to it.
    I don't think lecturing us about asking for a clarification is needed. It's a legitimate question.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tethers and Polarity

After reading the many threads on these wonderful Magic Mirror Mounts, also watching Doc's and Russell's videos multiple times, I went ahead and installed mine today. It took me a little over an hour, but I was going VERY slow and being VERY careful with the magnets. Did not get bit once, but sliding the last two apart was a bit of a challenge. My biggest challenge was the tiny screws that hold the petals on ... made the mistake of taking all of them off at once on the right side and had a heck of a time getting some of them back in. A dab of silicon spray on a q-tip to lubricate the hole in advance seemed to do the trick (added just enough slick to allow setting the screws well into the countersunk hole). One the left side, I took the petals off one at a time and made note of which screw belonged to each hole ... made a big difference. Still, I ended up with a pretty good rub spot (almost a blister) in the center of my palm as I was careful not to strip the tiny phillips head. Worth it in the end, though ... absolutely love the solidness of the mirror now!

Now, on to my questions:

Polarity -- I noticed in Doc's video that he was careful to check polarity and indicated that the strong side needed to be away from the bike. This is confirmed in other threads where the analog gauges are sometimes affected. What I did to check, was have a weak magnet in one hand and the Magic in my other -- as I brought them closer together, the Magic either rejected, or was attracted to the other magnet and I made note of which side caused the attraction. This is the side I mounted facing out (or away from the bike) and towards the mirror. Did I pick the correct side to face the mirror?

Tethers -- my kit is one of the earlier ones that came with tethers, but they are mighty short so I did not install them. Based on recent posts in this thread, I may look at extending them just a hair to make removing the mirrors and unplugging the connector a bit easier. I will probably use braided picture frame wire as this is what I used to tether the lower side panels. To tether or not to tether? Opinions .. I have about 2 miles of gravel to travel from our ranch before hitting pavement and sometimes all of our routes out are pretty rough.

All the best .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Ann, I'm pretty sure I was the prompt for the tethers in the first place - my mirrors with OE mounts had come off while riding on 3 separate occasions (OE mounts broken by incompetent dealers & covered up!) so I thought tethers would be a good idea for the Magics & in the early development days, said so to Russ. However, now that there's been 10's of 10's of thousands of miles of testing and actual riding in the real world, & to our knowledge NOT ONE PROPERLY MOUNTED MAGIC HAS COME OFF DURING RIDING!! This is despite the exhaustive testing we've done on some extremely rough roads solely aimed at attempting to get them to dislodge; plus testing at high speeds, testing at high speeds on very rough roads, withstanding bird strikes, hanging stuff off them, mounting driving lights on top of the mirrors, all sorts of stuff that DID put the OE mounts at risk, & yet the correctly mounted Magics just don't part company with the Spyder!

Remember, the OE mounts DO NOT have tethers, but just ONE of these magnets holds on far STRONGER than all three OE mounts added together..... so THREE Magnets per mirror hold on MASSIVELY BETTER than the 'weak as' OE mounts that BRP never felt needed tethers anyway.... more than Nine times better in fact!!

So sure, if you are worried, fit tethers of some sort if you feel you must, but do be very aware that you are installing Magic Mounts that hold on somewhat more than NINE times as hard/well as the OE mounts do, & the OE mounts never had tethers anyway..... so don't you think it's just a little overkill?!?

Did any of you people out there who feel the need to fit tethers bother to fit tethers to the OE mirror mounts?? No??! So WHY would you bother to fit them to the Magics that hold on sooooo much better??

Do any of you fella's fitting tethers out there wear a belt on your pants? AND also wear braces, AND staple your pants to your waist as well?? Cos that's pretty much what you are doing by adding tethers to the Magic Mount equipped Mirrors!! It's not just Over-kill or even 'to be sure, to be sure' type being careful, it's belt AND braces plus more type stuff, or if you like, more than NINE TIMES 'to be sure!'

But it is your Spyder, not mine!! Altho as one of the initial testers and one who's particularly tried to get properly mounted Mirrors to come off under extreme provocation and yet failed miserably at all attempts, I'm now positive that unless you bothered to fit tethers to your Spyder's OE mirror mounts the moment you bought it, you are wasting your time, energy, money, and needlessly stressing about something that is really going to add ABSOBLOODYLUTELY NOTHING to your enjoyment of your Spyder! Pay attention to fitting your Magic equipped mirrors properly when you put them back, just like you had to with the OE mounts, & you are more than NINE TIMES LESS LIKELY to need tethers than you were with the OE mounts!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Peter A or Russ, the question still remains though as to why Russ has now decided to encourage the use of tethers(Post 80). My reading is that it is simply because sooooooo many people are insisting on putting them on anyway, regardless of how secure the Magic Mirrors are, that Russ has "gone with the flow", even though he feels they are not necessary........but I could be wrong, of course .

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 05-13-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE ANSWER IS

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Peter A or Russ, the question still remains though as to why Russ has now decided to encourage the use of tethers(Post 80). My reading is that it is simply because sooooooo many people are insisting on putting them on anyway, regardless of how secure the Magic Mirrors are, that Russ has "gone with the flow", even though he feels they are not necessary........but I could be wrong, of course .

Pete
    Maybe - if you have - THREE HANDS , it's easy to hold the mirror and un-plug the connector without the TETHER ....... However if you only nave TWO hands , the TETHER acts as the THIRD HAND ...... jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Maybe - if you have - THREE HANDS , it's easy to hold the mirror and un-plug the connector without the TETHER ....... However if you only nave TWO hands , the TETHER acts as the THIRD HAND ...... jmho ..... Mike
    Yeah, but was that RUSS'S reason, Mikey Boy?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Pete

Pete, & anyone else who cares, as far as I'm concerned.... you're not wrong!

At the risk of repeating myself in some things.... I believe it is really just a 'make them feel warm & comfortable' thing that Russ is doing cos he's a nice guy who is responding to customer concerns - but personally, now that we've got 10's of 10's of thousands of miles of testing & real life use showing that properly fitted Magics simply DO NOT let the mirrors come off; and because the Magics hold the mirrors on with MORE THAN NINE TIMES the holding strength of that keeping the OE mounted mirrors attached (OE mirrors which never had tethers anyway) that adding tethers to Magic equipped mirrors is sorta like wearing a belt to hold up your pants.... AND putting on braces too... AND stapling your pants to your waist as well, plus a few more 'to be sure, to be sure' devices (I just couldn't think of any more atm!)

I was the reason that tethers went on in the first place, cos I'd had OE mounts that were damaged & covered up by a dodgy dealer part company with my Spyder on 3 separate occasions & I wanted to be sure about an untested mounting method (so I'm really sorry I did now!); but now, after extensive & aggressive, even EXTREME testing trying to get the Magics to part company with Spyders, including a high speed bird strike on my own, all of which failed to move them one iota, I am absolutely convinced that if the Magics have been installed properly (easy enough to do) & then you've put the mirrors on properly (even easier than with the OE mounts) then the Magics, which hold the mirrors on MORE THAN NINE TIMES STRONGER THAN THE OE MOUNTS EVER DID, then unless you fitted tethers to your OE mounted mirrors the moment you took posession of your Spyder, you are basically wasting your time, energy, money, & needlessly stressing over something that is sooooo unlikely to happen that BRP didn't even dream of considering doing anything about it, & these Magics are WAAAAAYYYYY better than the OE mounts in all respects, especially holding your mirrors onto your Spyder!

But if people want to do it, then fine, go ahead... Russ is waaay more accommodating than I am!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default RUSS's REASON

Yeah, but was that RUSS'S reason, Mikey Boy?

Pete
    ........... As I recall , someone posted a " friend went over a RR track hit a pothole and the mirror came off " .... Russ then decided to re- recommend the safety lanyard thing ........ IMHO ( and His ) the mirror wasn't on correctly, and this was the CAUSE of the incident. ....Whatever , the Tether is no big deal .....the mirror is $ 250.00 + ........ BRP made no provisions for SAVING THE MIRROR AT ALL .......Why people are getting their Panties in a WAD over this is BEYOND my comprehension. If you read my POST # 61 above the fix is pretty simple, upon further consideration you don't even have to drill a new HOLE to attach the Tether in the upper plate..... just remove it then tie a big knot in the line you are using, ( so it won't pull past the edge ) put it behind the plate and screw it down........... jmho.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Polarity

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    Polarity -- I noticed in Doc's video that he was careful to check polarity and indicated that the strong side needed to be away from the bike. This is confirmed in other threads where the analog gauges are sometimes affected. What I did to check, was have a weak magnet in one hand and the Magic in my other -- as I brought them closer together, the Magic either rejected, or was attracted to the other magnet and I made note of which side caused the attraction. This is the side I mounted facing out (or away from the bike) and towards the mirror. Did I pick the correct side to face the mirror?
    No feedback on my other question regarding polarity yet.

All the best .... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Default POLARITY

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    No feedback on my other question regarding polarity yet.

All the best .... Ann
    I did a lot of research on magnets because I found my own for my mirrors ...... In everything I read I never saw any reference to a strength / pull difference between the poles of the magnet ...... and there are only TWO .....Every magnet has at least two identified as a North and a South ( they can have more tho )...... Either one will have the same pull strength against the same metal object as the other.......The test you described was a bit confusing , were you using magnets against magnets in this test ...... because if so a north side will push a north side magnet away from it .............. I hope this answers your understanding of magnets ............. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-14-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Ann, as far as we can determine, all those who've experienced odd gauge readings due to polarity or anything else have had compromised or moved wiring inside the dash area, but IT SEEMS that Doc's method of choosing polarity direction helps minimise any concerns where it is known those circumstances may already exist, at least unless the wiring compromise is simply too significant to ignore any extra magnetism - in which case you really want to thank your lucky stars that the Magics revealed a potential problem in time to do something about it before something drastic happened!! Your method seems to be equally viable, but so far, it's been impossible to really replicate the specific causative factors & therefore confirm or deny anything beyond what we've seen & been told....

So, now that you've fitted your Magics, does your temp gauge go immediately to half when you turn the ign on & then very quickly climb up into the red as the engine warms up? If not, then your installation is fine!

Spyder Garage

Default Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    So, now that you've fitted your Magics, does your temp gauge go immediately to half when you turn the ign on & then very quickly climb up into the red as the engine warms up? If not, then your installation is fine!
    Peter .... no, the temp gauge stays at the bottom when the ignition is turned on and the fuel gage stays put as well (right now at the top since the tank is full). I have not taken the spyder out for a spin yet, may do that tomorrow after I put my Lamonster NBV road pegs on.

Thanks .... Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Man I really hate it when people just can't be civil and have a normal discussion.

I asked a simple question, why the change in direction. Maybe a simple semantic thing but to me saying "we now ENCOURAGE" indicates there should be a REASON. If there have been cases of properly installed mirrors coming off, ok, fine, I agree with the use of the tether for everyone. But if its a case of they MAY come off if not properly installed then I think the approach should simply be - here is an optional tether if you desire to use it.

Bob's statement "As far as Russ changing his position regarding the necessity of tethers: Haven't YOU ever changed your mind about something? Give him a break: he sees that there are folks with concerns, and is trying to react to it." was defensive, argumentative and simply uncalled for. Nobody picked on Russ, I even said I loved them BUT if there is a concern I think I am allowed to ask what it is. Mike- nobody's panties are in a wad, only people that are getting crazy over a simple question.

Bottom line: These things are the bomb and my favorite add on - period, and would recommend them to anyone - tether or not. I'm in the camp of Peter A. and feel the tethers are totally unnecessary (AND THIS HAS BEEN STATED MULTIPLE TIMES IN MULTIPLE THREADS HENCE THE ASKING WHY APPARENT CHANGE IN DIRECTION). Like he said, my OEM mirror mount would actually wobble because the dealer couldn't even put the mirrors back on right. I'd have to fix the pins and redo them. OEM also never had a tether to hold in place as a third hand to disconnect wire. I don't feel I need that either. BUT - if someone wants a tether for whatever reason - god bless them, go for it, whatever gives them warm fuzzies. BUT - if someone is going to say they should be there or are encouraged, we should know WHY, simple as that.

Russ - keep up the great work - I know it's almost impossible to please everyone and I'm sure if something is discovered that actually warrants the use of tether in properly installed mount you'll let us know otherwise I'll assume they are indeed optional if someone wants an extra level of comfort.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Steve, it IS a normal discussion, and people are being quite civil. I think you are just reading a little too much into some of the written comments. It is very hard to see a smile or a knowing wink on a computer screen, even though the writer was doing exactly that as they were composing their reply.

.......and the question has now been answered as per your first paragraph. It's a secondary safety feature if you feel you need it, due to expressed concerns by some installers .

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default PANTIES THING

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Man I really hate it when people just can't be civil and have a normal discussion.

I asked a simple question, why the change in direction. Maybe a simple semantic thing but to me saying "we now ENCOURAGE" indicates there should be a REASON. If there have been cases of properly installed mirrors coming off, ok, fine, I agree with the use of the tether for everyone. But if its a case of they MAY come off if not properly installed then I think the approach should simply be - here is an optional tether if you desire to use it.

Bob's statement "As far as Russ changing his position regarding the necessity of tethers: Haven't YOU ever changed your mind about something? Give him a break: he sees that there are folks with concerns, and is trying to react to it." was defensive, argumentative and simply uncalled for. Nobody picked on Russ, I even said I loved them BUT if there is a concern I think I am allowed to ask what it is. Mike- nobody's panties are in a wad, only people that are getting crazy over a simple question.

Bottom line: These things are the bomb and my favorite add on - period, and would recommend them to anyone - tether or not. I'm in the camp of Peter A. and feel the tethers are totally unnecessary (AND THIS HAS BEEN STATED MULTIPLE TIMES IN MULTIPLE THREADS HENCE THE ASKING WHY APPARENT CHANGE IN DIRECTION). Like he said, my OEM mirror mount would actually wobble because the dealer couldn't even put the mirrors back on right. I'd have to fix the pins and redo them. OEM also never had a tether to hold in place as a third hand to disconnect wire. I don't feel I need that either. BUT - if someone wants a tether for whatever reason - god bless them, go for it, whatever gives them warm fuzzies. BUT - if someone is going to say they should be there or are encouraged, we should know WHY, simple as that.

Russ - keep up the great work - I know it's almost impossible to please everyone and I'm sure if something is discovered that actually warrants the use of tether in properly installed mount you'll let us know otherwise I'll assume they are indeed optional if someone wants an extra level of comfort.
    Dear Sir: I appreciate your Quoting me ...... however you mis-construed it's meaning ..... The " getting their Panties in a Wad " was referring to the folks who - when faced with an OPTION .....are terrified of making a DECISION........ ie. don't you just love the posts that ask " what color Spyder should I buy " ..... really , they are buying a $30,000 machine and are asking for other peoples opinions............. I hope this clears this up for you .... Mike