Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    I got mine today!
    After 35 days. They're as advertised, I can't believe any magnet can be so powerful. I tore the shipping bag taking it from the mailbox, then it stuck to the steel garage door. It took a few minutes to install and at first wasn't too happy with how they fit, there was still a gap on the front of the mirror. But then I took out the front spacer and now they fit nice and tight. Sweet.
    I fellow Spyder rider sent me a message, he ordered his the same day I did, but today he got a torn empty shipping bag in his mail. All I could do is tell him to call Russell. Those magnets are stuck somewhere, probably discovered by somebody wondering wtf?
    Sorry about your luck SPYD1
    Chuck
    Yep. That's my luck. I contacted Russel for a refund. I'm sure he will come through.

Spyder Garage

Ordered mine today from Doc at Roadster Renovations.

Spyder Garage

Cool YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got them today and installed them immediately. Very easy install. They are AWESOME!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

The lame tracking system shows mine are STILL in Chicago....have been since April 22nd. Not happy and not impressed, and frankly out of patience. It's been over 6 weeks since I ordered, not a big deal, but to know they have been in Chicago all this time???? Not acceptable in my opinion.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I took the plunge also and ordered and installed the magic mounts. I see where getting the mirrors off the first time is nerve-racking, had to hit them so hard I thought I was going to break something.

The magnets seem to work well but I wish the kit came with the lanyards for peace of mind. Still worried that a big pothole here in Ohio is going to make one pop off. We have some BIG potholes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    Yep. That's my luck. I contacted Russel for a refund. I'm sure he will come through.
    Mine must have been in the same shipment. It had been over 30 days since I placed the order and still no delivery. I contacted Russ and he stated that there were problems with some of the April 10th shipments. He refunded my payment so I will place another order with a USA based distributor. If by chance his shipment does arrive some day I will repay him for the original sell price and resell them locally. I must say that Russ is a pleasure to work with and a honest business man.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    I received yesterday the mounts. I live in a four-floors building with an elevator and the postwoman's bag was stuck on the elevator walls and she could not take it off. I think the power will be enough to hold the mirrors.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Default Magic mirrors

Please be sure to use something to catch the mirror if you hit a pot hole and it flys off! One of my friends hit a railroad track which had a pot hole that he couldn't see, and his right mirror fell off! He had to buy a new whole one for his right side! He has now come up with a way to catch it if this happens! I will post picture of mine with the system on it if I ever get my 2016 RT Limited out of the shop long enough to take a picture! I am looking on internet now, looking for me a dependable bike to buy! You need least two bikes to own a Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    Mine must have been in the same shipment. It had been over 30 days since I placed the order and still no delivery. I contacted Russ and he stated that there were problems with some of the April 10th shipments. He refunded my payment so I will place another order with a USA based distributor. If by chance his shipment does arrive some day I will repay him for the original sell price and resell them locally. I must say that Russ is a pleasure to work with and a honest business man.
    Just did the same thing, with the same thoughts. Russ offered to refund me as well. If they come I'll sell them locally, and just pay Russ the money back. Seems like a stand-up guy that's stuck in a lousy shipping situation. Too bad really. He said that there were issue with the April shipments.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    One of my friends hit a railroad track which had a pot hole that he couldn't see, and his right mirror fell off! He had to buy a new whole one for his right side!
    Didn't the turnsignal wiring keep it attached to the bike?
    That's a pretty substantial connector, with a really solid locking clip.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOOSING MIRROR

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm sure the connector is fine ..... it's the thin wires that broke ...... 20 ga. doesn't take much to break ......... I showed you how mine are held on ..... 300 lb test line ..... strong enough for a Great White........ I also came up with an " easy peasy " way of attaching it ........ take off the upper disc/plate from the mirror , get a 3 in piece of very strong thin line , tie a large knot in the line, put the knot underneath the disc , at the top away from the screw hole, tie a loop with a 1/2" opening at the end , put the disc back on the mirror , this opening in the line will go onto the upper Torx bolt at the very top of the body panel connection above your top magnet....... now when you take your mirror off you can let it hang while you play with the electrical connector ............... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-14-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Please be sure to use something to catch the mirror if you hit a pot hole and it flys off! One of my friends hit a railroad track which had a pot hole that he couldn't see, and his right mirror fell off! He had to buy a new whole one for his right side! He has now come up with a way to catch it if this happens! I will post picture of mine with the system on it if I ever get my 2016 RT Limited out of the shop long enough to take a picture! I am looking on internet now, looking for me a dependable bike to buy! You need least two bikes to own a Spyder!
    As I posted elsewhere when you put this up, I'm pretty sure that these Mirror Magics will NOT let your mirrors drop off or come off if they've been installed correctly & then mounted properly!! Hey, I was the reason the original batch came with tethers, I'd had THREE instances of OE mount equipped Mirrors falling off, & I was concerned that the Magics might let that happen too, so I asked Russ for tethers. But after all the testing & seeing how well these things hold on, there's NO WAY a properly installed Magic Mounted Mirror is coming off thru normal riding or even abnormal bumps or pot-holes in the road surface!! They've had jackets hung off them while riding & never moved; they've been tested over 10's of thousands of miles of rough pot-holed roads & never moved at all; they've been hit by fairly large birds that were turned into a bloody mass of busted bone & feathers because of the severity of the impact & they just flicked it off; and they've survived the best & worst roads & tracks at any & every speed.... AND they have NOT BUDGED AT ALL!! Besides, the magnet mounts hold the mirrors on to the Spyder FAR STRONGER than the OE mounts do and the OE mounts didn't have a tether beyond the indicator wiring!!

The OE mounts hold the mirrors on with a holding force of less than 10#'s, while the Magics hold them on with a force of well IN EXCESS of 40#'s!! So I am pretty sure that Mirror Magic mounted mirrors WILL NOT come off once they've been properly installed & the mirrors correctly mounted unless your Spyder hits or is hit by something soooo hard by that your mirrors are going to be the very last of your problems!!

So honestly, south GA Farm Boy, while I have absolutely no concerns if you or anyone else decide to fit your own tethers, just be absolutely clear that it's extremely unlikely to be thru any failing on behalf of the magic mirrors or the magnets!! If your friends Magic Mount equipped mirror came off just thru hitting a bump on a railroad, no matter how hard that impact may have been, and he was still able to ride his spyder away, then he couldn't have put the mirror on properly!! That's why the instructions tell people to look down into the gap from above & MAKE SURE that all the wiring is out of the way & that the bottom two magnets connect with their petals properly, then let it close itself onto the top magnet, then check for even spacing around where the mirror comes in contact with the body, & you can even give the mirror a shake to check it's mounted properly too! That way you KNOW the mirror is mounted correctly & that means it WILL NOT fall off or drop off or even be knocked off if you hit a bump or pot-hole - well, not unless the Spyder sustains enough of a shock to otherwise damage it, & damage it fairly severely at that!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Yes it is Bob. But under the correct circumstances the connector can disconnect as is being pulled through the hole. I know this from experience as I had to replace both mirrors 2 years ago after hitting 2 pot holes on the sprain river Pkwy.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

^^ That's true, & as Mike said earlier, the electrical wires themselves are what can break - one of my 'pre-Magic Mounts mirror falling off' events saw the wires just pull out of the back of the plug, & it was only quick reflexes that kept that mirror from hitting the roadway!!

But all three of my 'mirror falling off' events were due to someone at a now defunct dealer in South Aus breaking the OE mounts while removing or replacing the mirrors, & instead of doing the right thing & replacing the broken pellet mounts thingies, trying to cover it up by doing things like stuffing a wad 100mph tape into the pellet hole instead - and since I installed the Magic Mounts, despite actively trying REALLY HARD to get the mirrors to fall off or even budge during use, even running the mirrors with just one magnet/mount alone (ie no other securing devices AT ALL; not Magics, not OE pellets &/or pins, nothing but the one magnet & petal!) for a while on some very rough & pot-holed roads, I'm now absolutely convinced that once the Mirror Magics are installed & the mirrors mounted properly on them, any Spyder mirrors held on by Mirror Magics are very securely held, far more securely than they were with the OE mounts - so much so that once they are installed & mounted correctly, they are simply NOT parting company with the rest of the Spyder unless there is way more trauma or collision force involved than the bike &/or rider is likely to survive un-damaged!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One of my friends hit a railroad track which had a pot hole that he couldn't see, and his right mirror fell off!
    Were his mirrors held on with the MM magnets, or the OE spring clips?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I showed my Magic Mirror Mounts to my dealer's Service Manager on Tuesday.
    He thought that they were cool as Hell, and wished that he had thought of it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    The lame tracking system shows mine are STILL in Chicago....have been since April 22nd. Not happy and not impressed, and frankly out of patience. It's been over 6 weeks since I ordered, not a big deal, but to know they have been in Chicago all this time???? Not acceptable in my opinion.
    Mine were in Chicago since April 22nd also. Just showed up yesterday in one of the post office bags for mail that looks like it has been put through the wringer. But it was still sealed up just the label ripped. I was starting to wonder if it would show up also.
    2015 RT SE6 Limited

Custom Dynamics Trunk LED Brake Light with flasher
    Corbin armrests
    BajaRon- shock adjusters

Previous 2011 RT SE6

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine took about 3 weeks to come in from Australia.

Having read that others have had some issues with falling off, I'm going to go ahead and make some tethers. I may not use anything stronger than nylon cord, but surely that WITH the wiring would be enough.

While it is so much easier to remove and replace the mirrors with these mounts, you do need to be careful to line things up properly. It is possible to "attach" the mirrors where they are misaligned.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    I took the plunge also and ordered and installed the magic mounts. I see where getting the mirrors off the first time is nerve-racking, had to hit them so hard I thought I was going to break something.

The magnets seem to work well but I wish the kit came with the lanyards for peace of mind. Still worried that a big pothole here in Ohio is going to make one pop off. We have some BIG potholes.
    If they're that big you'll have more then the mirror to worry about. Like the front end or a wheel/tire.
    If you haven't seen it already find Mike(Blue Knight 911)'s post on how he made his lanyard. Probably un necessary but so easy and cheap,why not?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You would have to fall into a large hole for the mirror to fall off. But that extra security cant hurt anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post

for piece of mind i used some long plastic wire ties for life support. i found out
    you dont lean on the top of the mirror when cleaning the w/shield
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My install also includes turn signal farkels on the mirrors with all the associated wiring crammed in behind the mirrors. Before the MMs it was a chore getting everything out of the way when remounting the mirrors. If you accidentally trap some wiring between the magnets I could see that causing a drop-off when hitting a pothole. I have to be careful to avoid this issue, just takes a little more time.

Spyder Garage

Default mirror fell off due to railroad track with pothole

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Were his mirrors held on with the MM magnets, or the OE spring clips?
    He had his magic mirror mounts on! He has designed a tether to put on his Spyder and mine! The light wires popped loose and it hit the highway!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If he hit something hard enough to jar the mirrors loose; I'd hate to see what his front tires, wheels, suspension, and alignment look like!

Spyder Garage

Default Great product

Got mine today. Took about 15 min a side to install. I think it goes on the "must have" list.